5 Speed Gearbox (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i going to guess that you are pulling the 2LTE and sticking the B into your 78??:idea::D

Replace the 2L-TE....you must be kidding. Why on earth would I do that.:D
Actually toying with the idea of utilizing the 5 speed gearbox from the BJ70 in a late model BJ42. I would only use the 3B if there were issues with the existing BJ42 powerplant. ......1978HJ45

sticking a H55F behind the 3B in the BJ42 is a 2 banana job ...
easy and you will LOVE the results.

Thanks Wayne......Unfortunately I am the type of person who is never completely satisfied. As soon as I buy what I think is the perfect Cruiser, I immediately start looking to improve it or purchase a totally different Cruiser. My 1978 HJ45 pickup is the only one I have bought and kept for a long period of time. I am sure therapy would help with my infliction.:D .....1978HJ45

well ...
you did buy a LJ78, wasn't that therapy enough?

Even Lewis and Clark occasionally went down the wrong river.:)

The LJ is actually doing quite well however if I can find what I am looking for it to will be sold. ..............1978HJ45

.........and the F is for what? As in -FTE.

F Economy narrow-angle valve DOHC

...from here...
Toyota Engine code - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation
F- Gear coupled cam drive; dual overhead cam (DOHC) engine: timing belt or chain drives
one cam, and “scissors” gear drives the other cam. [Narrow included valve angle]. The split “scissors” gear is a unique way to eliminate gear backlash.

Regarding the 'F', ive always understood that the "Economy narrow-angle valve DOHC" referred to the petrol (gasoline) engines, while in the diesels it means "four valves per cylinder".

For example, the non-turbo 4 cylinder, 16 valve '15B' is called the 15B-F, while the turbo version is called the 15B-FT.

At a guess, if Toyota made available a non-turbo version of the 1HD-FT it would be called the 1HD-F.

Or it just me that thinks that :hmm:

Not sure if this should be in the 70 Series or the 40 Series section but here we go: Will the 3B diesel and 5 speed gearbox from a 1985 BJ70 fit in a late model 40 Series? I realize the 3B is probably not a problem so I guess the main issue is the transfer of the gearbox. Thanks...............1978HJ45

These will fit, however the bellhousing and the tranmission top (shifter housing) is different on a BJ42 verses a BJ70, so you will have to make some mods.

Cheers,

Michael

the shifter tower is a further back,just line up the shifter with the whole,end up with engine move forward by 3 inches.
l am swapping the drivetrain from a 1985 bj70 into a 1976 FJ45 now.
Simon

hummm, each to there own, i just cut the shifter hole back 3".
this lines everything up the way the factory has it ...
but, there is tons of room under the hood so either way works with the B series engines

You probably do not know this however the shifter top on the BJ42 model (ones with H55F) are extremely rare. I have one and I can't tell you how many times someone has offered me money to let them take mine and measure it to have manufacturing done, Toyota does not make them anymore and in certain parts fo the world they are very sought after.

I myself and with Wayne, just cut a new whole in the floor and put the engine where it is supposed to be mounted, less hassle in the long run.

Cheers,

Michael

the shifter tower is a further back,just line up the shifter with the whole,end up with engine move forward by 3 inches.
l am swapping the drivetrain from a 1985 bj70 into a 1976 FJ45 now.
Simon

Any more Info or links

From here...
List of Toyota engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
F Economy narrow-angle valve DOHC

...from here...
Toyota Engine code - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation
F- Gear coupled cam drive; dual overhead cam (DOHC) engine: timing belt or chain drives
one cam, and “scissors” gear drives the other cam. [Narrow included valve angle]. The split “scissors” gear is a unique way to eliminate gear backlash.

Regarding the 'F', ive always understood that the "Economy narrow-angle valve DOHC" referred to the petrol (gasoline) engines, while in the diesels it means "four valves per cylinder".

For example, the non-turbo 4 cylinder, 16 valve '15B' is called the 15B-F, while the turbo version is called the 15B-FT.

At a guess, if Toyota made available a non-turbo version of the 1HD-FT it would be called the 1HD-F.

Or it just me that thinks that :hmm:

Now I can't find the reference but I thought that F stood for Intercooled but now I can't find the reference. That being said, given the disparity of regarding the F designation for example in the commonly used references not being able to locate it may not be such a big loss.:meh:

I'm with wayne, it's not hard to figure out what he means by the 3B-T, stick around the diesel section or any other cruiser diesel sections and you will see people make their own acronyms to save on typing. My truck is an hzj79 1HZ TH20IR1518274ARBELDualBat3"MBE36/13/R16C4"SUF

Say that ten times fast.
X2 People have been using this coding convention for as long as I have been on this forum and judging from some of the old posts in the archives for quite a few years before my arrival as well. You guys seem to be the first that I have seen to be confused by this.:meh: Then again what do I know I am confused on a daily basis by some of the simplest things.:cheers:

Now I can't find the reference but I thought that F stood for Intercooled but now I can't find the reference.
No, the HDJ78 and HDJ79 have the 1HZ-FTE without an intercooler.

I think it is more to do with twin cam/four valve per cylinder.

now remember children, for those that are mentally challenged, we are now using the (+) to designate an aftermarket addition to an engine. :idea:
so 3B+T is a factory 3B (plus) = added turbo.:hmm:
what was commonly posted as a PZ-TI will now be posted as PZ+TI or PZ+T+I.:hmm:

please do keep up with the Politically Correct changes on MUD. :bang:

:steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer:

Last edited:
Jeez, nobody mention the V8J40... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom