5 speed auto oil change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was going to have my oil exchanged and not flushed , but my local auto guy said changing the fluid at that mileage (245000) can be as bad as flushing as it can dislodge sediment causing the box to fail. He said if it’s working ok leave well alone as at that mileage it’s probably on borrowed time . Bear in mind we don’t have loads of Landcruiser’s in uk compared to USA so experience of this box is limited, what’s the general consensus
Many thanks

Do you have a dipstick to inspect the fluid?

I do not believe in that old school logic of changing a high mileage transmission fluid could make it worse. I am sure someone out there can over think it and give me reasons why it may not be a good idea but it seems like a myth.

My thought has always been if the fluid is not burnt and nasty, it's definitely worth changing. If the fluid is burnt and nasty, well even more of a reason to change it.

Do you have a dipstick to inspect the fluid?

I do not believe in that old school logic of changing a high mileage transmission fluid could make it worse. I am sure someone out there can over think it and give me reasons why it may not be a good idea but it seems like a myth.

My thought has always been if the fluid is not burnt and nasty, it's definitely worth changing. If the fluid is burnt and nasty, well even more of a reason to change it.
No its 5 speed sealed for life

I was going to have my oil exchanged and not flushed , but my local auto guy said changing the fluid at that mileage (245000) can be as bad as flushing as it can dislodge sediment causing the box to fail. He said if it’s working ok leave well alone as at that mileage it’s probably on borrowed time ....
BS. At 245 k miles would be on borrowed time if it was a VW or similar. Expect twice that mileage without problems if taken well care of.
The A750F box is not sealed for life, even if it doesn't have a dipstick, and it needs regular changes of ATF. It has a fill plug, a drain plug, and a level plug. It is a straight forward job to change the ATF, about 3 litres at a time, and a bit more involved to exchange all the 12 l of fluid through the cooler hoses.

Last edited:
BS. At 245 k miles would be on borrowed time if it was a VW or similar. Expect twice that mileage without problems if taken well care of.
The A750F box is not sealed for life, even if it doesn't have a dipstick, and it needs regular changes of ATF. It has a fill plug, a drain plug, and a level plug. It is a straight forward job to change the ATF, about 3 litres at a time, and a bit more involved to exchange all the 12 l of fluid through the cooler hoses.
Do you have instructions

There are quite a few sources around the web, here is a place to start: The ultimate service thread
Recommend getting the FSM, and spend some time reading it.

Do you have instructions
DIY fluid exchange is pretty easy. I've done it on gearboxes with 75, 175, and 195k miles. All first-timers I think.
This thread will give you info on how you set up the outflow to remove old fluid: Transmission Fluid Exchange Writeup - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/transmission-fluid-exchange-writeup.19299/page-6
This one tells you how to easily fill large volumes into a sealed 5 speed: Lazy man WS ATF filler - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lazy-man-ws-atf-filler.905640/#post-10160530
Just finding a different mechanic who has a unit to exchange it for you is even easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom