5 spd Trannys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sgu.life
I've been doing the search function biz and racking my brain on this, Posting here cause this is the style LC i got;

What 5sp5 transmissions will mate to the 2H in my hj47? Really not interested in paying the $$$$'s for a H55, a buddy suggested I put in a mini truck 5spd in since they are cheap and everywhere in the US. But obviously I'm concerned about destroying it with the torque from the 2H.

Will the R151 or R150 work? Or is this all a pipe dream and I should just sit back and dream of a H55?

Thanks all - be gentle I'm sensitive.

I've been doing the search function biz and racking my brain on this, Posting here cause this is the style LC i got;

What 5sp5 transmissions will mate to the 2H in my hj47? Really not interested in paying the $$$$'s for a H55, a buddy suggested I put in a mini truck 5spd in since they are cheap and everywhere in the US. But obviously I'm concerned about destroying it with the torque from the 2H.

Will the R151 or R150 work? Or is this all a pipe dream and I should just sit back and dream of a H55?

Thanks all - be gentle I'm sensitive.

The H55f will pretty much bolt up, and is just as strong as the H41 you have now. Roughly the same size, shape and weight of your current transmission, and will use the same bellhousing, clutch, starter, etc....

IF (and that's a big if) you can mate an R150 or 151 to your 2H, they are significantly longer transmissions, and I suspect that having the shift levers next to your hips would be a drag. I also doubt they'd really hold up well to the diesel, but that's probably just me, in that the R151 came behind the 1HZ diesel, which is a stronger diesel than your 2H.

But really, I'm in the H55f camp. Any of the "cheaper" options will require adapters, or other mods than can quickly overcome the cost of the cheaper transmission. You've got a parking brake on your transfer case, or on the axle now? If you've got the axle mounted parking brake, then it gets a lot easier (in that you can just use an H55f and split case without having to source a parking brake--which is tricky anyway).

Dan

H55F is pretty much the only option available. I don't think the 1H/PZ Bellhousing for the R151 would bolt on, and I doubt there are adapters for other 5-speeds (NV4500 is what I'm thinking)

In my opinion, the H55F is one of the better transmissions out there, stout, reliable and the gears are fairly tight with each other. They aren't cheap, though; just so you know. Though in terms of price, most transmission conversions aren't cheap.

Thr R151 is a rubbish gearbox, too many break behind 1HZ motors, not one of Toyota's finest moments.

i would suggest dropping the coin for a H55
and
dropping the idea of the R151 as well from your thought process. even though i am running them right now in my trucks ... it definately is NOT from choice.

yep, thoughts gone. all hail infinite wisdom of ih8mud, i am not worthy!

now i'm thinking about re-gearing for some more manageable rpms on the highway,

HI HO SEARCH FUNCTION, AWAY!!!

in defense of the R151, it's great behind a 1KZ, 2/3L, 5VZ-FE, 22RE or 3RZ. Pretty much one of the best mini-truck transmissions made (though I like the better road manners of the R150 myself), but it just isn't a heavy truck transmission, the H motors just produce way too much torque for the comparitively delicate internals.
Like marrying a ballerina to a wrestler...

yep, thoughts gone. all hail infinite wisdom of ih8mud, i am not worthy!

now i'm thinking about re-gearing for some more manageable rpms on the highway,

HI HO SEARCH FUNCTION, AWAY!!!

Are you in CA or Hawaii? and if you are in CA, are you near to the North Bay? I have some 3.73's if you'd like.

But before you shell out for a diff swap, I sincerely suggest you find a tire in the stock 4.11's ideal size range.
4lo.com has the chart.

"Like marrying a ballerina to a wrestler... "

LOVE it, that made me laugh.

hehe, yeah, I had fun with that one...

Last edited:
We're in California now, orange county area. Currently shes got some worn 7.50x16's for shoes and about to get 235/85 r16's, 32 ish OD.

I don't mind driving 60mph, hell i do that in my 80 series cause thats nice on the rpms, I would just like to get to 60 and have it be "comfortable" in the HJ and not sound like i'm about to throw a rod

most of that awful sound will be road noise, newer tires will definitely help that out; and a 5-speed will get the revs lower so she won't be as loud or make you feel like your foot's buried in the IP.

I personally hate breaking 60 with my rigs, and if I'm on 5, 101, 80, or such, I will almost always find a semi and do 55 behind it.;)

That's a big if too, up here, there are nice backroads and holes-in-the-wall drives I can find that may take more time, but are more pleasant, slower, and involve cornering. This is a tip I picked up from Dan. My fuel averages 21MPG sticking to the by-ways more than the highways. 26+ if I do 55 on the freeway.

i'm going to play the sound deadening dance this weekend, zero-rust coat -> durabac -> dynamat -> carpet, similar to roof with dynamat then the new headliner plus door and window seals.

Lack of stereo makes everything a little louder too.

dude, you are sitting in a HUGE tin can ...
it is going to be noisy.
of course if you make a divider between the front seats and the rest of the truck the sound will be much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom