5 Knuckle Jobs Later... Still Leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

there are 2 styles of OEM flanges. Short and tall.
Thanks. Didn’t know that. Regardless, used the outer groove that I used on the newer axle matches the length of the oem axle.

Just inspected the newer axle a little further. The shaft is loose at the star and seems like it can go in another 1/8”

It's about the drive flanges. If you have a short style flange then the outer groove might allow the axle to travel further into the housing.
This makes sense with the ware marks on the axle !

It's about the drive flanges. If you have a short style flange then the outer groove might allow the axle to travel further into the housing.
Interesting. I’m in the driveway otherwise I’d look it up. You don’t happen to know the depth of the shorter flanges, do you?

Are both the flanges the same ?

Thanks. Didn’t know that. Regardless, used the outer groove that I used on the newer axle matches the length of the oem axle.

Just inspected the newer axle a little further. The shaft is loose at the star and seems like it can go in another 1/8”
This thread shows photos of the early and late flanges with some explanation.

Definitely longer flanges. Pulled out as far as possible and can only put the clip on the outer groove.

Having said that, I just put the original axle in and gonna drive it a few thousand miles and see if I have the same issue. The seal looked to be in great shape. Spring was still in and rubber was fine. Replaced it anyhow, just in case. Gonna pull the new axle apart and inspect. There was WAY too much play at where the shaft inserted into the star...

Keep us posted. I just swapped my driver side to the RCV. Put on the ABS ring and boy what a pain. So far not really impressed with these over stock. I mean guess there stronger and have lifetime warranty.

I am having the same issue driver side keeps leaking. This my third rebuild. Passenger side is bone dry. Maybe this one will last longer. I checked all the different things like cleaning breather tube to trying both marlin seals and Toyota.

Last edited:
You are using marlins, or you stopped using them due to leaking?
I tried both Toyota and Marlins. Both the seals looked fine when inspected. I think they both serve their purpose and work fine. I believe there is another issue at hand not related to the seals.

I’m curious to know as well. I’m in the same boat my left knuckle keeps leaking. Going on third rebuild in last 2 years. The right side has been done with no issues. For this next one, I ordered up some axles from RCV and spindle with new bushing to see if that helps. I cleaned out the breather as well so no issues there. Took off an ABS tone ring today. Some of the edges got deformed when I knocked it if of with the brass drift. Nothing crazy but would this cause any issues for the ABS.

View attachment 3159259

View attachment 3159261

View attachment 3159262
run it, some map gas for about 5 min before install makes it easy.....

I had the same issue.
I have owned 1997 80 series since 2005.
I have rebuilt several cruisers. I follow the toyota FSM procedures.

The rig went for years with no leaks. Just regular rebuild maintenance. The rig was a daily driver. That only saw the yearly Pismo Jim Surf n Turf thrash in the sand.

Then...wait for it...
Gear oil in the driver side Knuckle ball. Rebuilt the knuckle with a Marlin seal (there the best right...). Started leaking after 3 months. Resealed with the OEM seal. Started leaking after 3 months. Thought my OEM axles were bad. Looked at using a ready sleeve to refresh the axle seal area. Decided on RCV's instead. Used the 70 series bearing/bushing combo in the spindle. Breather was clear.

All clean, reassembled. Happy...
Did a drive, ran a few errands. Did a final visual check. I could hear the driver side knuckle make these little fart sounds every few seconds. 3 months or so later. Realized after the fact, each fart would squirt gear oil into the knuckle. Leaking knuckle.....again.

Saw an article on how ARB lockers can suck a small amount of oil back into the air line. Thought about my diff breather. My breather vent was extended into the engine compartment. Just a long hose into a plastic fuel filter.

Thought about (no science here) the possibility of gear oil getting into the breather hose (at the axle housing). Developing an oil slug that would not drain out when the axle was pressurized from hot air expansion. Got tired of cleaning out gear oil soup... So I moved the axle breather fitting to the top of the axle. Installed a plug in the original location. No more leaks...for a year now.

Was this the root cause? No idea. A work around... probably.

Did mine again a couple months back and So far NO leaks. One thing I did different was replace the spindles to the newer style with the needle bearings inside and small bronze bushing. Based on it not leaking yet that’s the only thing I can point too. I am thinking my old spindle may have needed the bronze bushing replaced or been damaged.

are you using the wits end tool to drive that OEM Toyota axle seal the extra 2mm deeper? If you go OEM depth, you can have wear marks maybe on the outside causing a small leak. This reminds to a video I saw where someone put some type of RTV when they did the axle seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom