5.7 with Carb? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who has a 5.7 GM setup with carb? Any pics under the hood? Clearance issues between air cleaner and hood? What air filter setup did you use and what if anything are you doing to prevent mud from getting all in the air filter?

Who has a 5.7 GM setup with carb? Any pics under the hood? Clearance issues between air cleaner and hood? What air filter setup did you use and what if anything are you doing to prevent mud from getting all in the air filter?

I drove my 350 with a Rochester on it for 100K miles. It got TBI last year. I ran an open K&N element, it was rather close to the hood, but didn't hit. Utah is fairly dry, dust is a huge concern, mud not so much. I figure it this way; if I was ever in water so deep that it was sucking it in, my distributor and I would both be under water as well. I never had an issue with splashing water up to a degree that it became a problem, it's pretty well shielded by the motor itself, it was never an issue.

Ok.... Well I can tell you that mud gets just about everywhere...here in AL. If I continue to have issue with the vortec setup I may go carb, just for simplicity sake. I don't get on extreme angles around here.
I like the performance of the vortec but you really need a total matached setup... trans+engine+full exhaust+all the emissions crap too for it to really function like it should. I have a somewhat half-backed setup in a non-emissions setup, with a yota 5 speed, and partial exhaust setup. I realize the issues but I don't plan on spending more money to get there... I've got a crazy "run rich" condition right now and trying to figure it out. No codes nothing showing crazy on teh scan tool...but truck is running crazy rich. Passed fuel pressure test so fuel pump good regulator good. I'm told it might be bad 02 sensors but have not had time to check into that.

Anyway I do know that roughly the entire front of my engine getst cocvered in mud and anything roughtly even with the valve covers get's same treatment. The OEM air intake setup on the vortec is very nice in regard to protecing air way from water and mud... may try to figure out how to adapt to that if I were go to carb setup.

Oh yea... easy is relative....aggrivation is another thing. I'm told my buddy may have figured it out. I've been having to work a lot lately and did not have much free time. I'm told they got it running right over the phone this PM. I might be a bad coolant sensor or 02 sensor. It passed fuel pressure test and had no codes set. I'll follow up if its fixed and what was the problem. TBI are pretty simple....vortecs both what I have and the new style can be aggrivating... My TBI pickup was almost bullet-proof, but a vortec does make some reasonable power.

I need to get one of the newer scan tools....I use my firends "auto-xray" one and its fairly crude...it does read most things, but I dont' think it supports all the parameters fully.

I agree...that its a big step going carb....I've not gone "postal" just yet but you can really waste some money on these fuel setups... maybe I'm good now...should know over the weekend.

Oh yea... easy is relative....aggrivation is another thing. I'm told my buddy may have figured it out. I've been having to work a lot lately and did not have much free time. I'm told they got it running right over the phone this PM. I might be a bad coolant sensor or 02 sensor. It passed fuel pressure test and had no codes set. I'll follow up if its fixed and what was the problem. TBI are pretty simple....vortecs both what I have and the new style can be aggrivating... My TBI pickup was almost bullet-proof, but a vortec does make some reasonable power.

I need to get one of the newer scan tools....I use my firends "auto-xray" one and its fairly crude...it does read most things, but I dont' think it supports all the parameters fully.

I agree...that its a big step going carb....I've not gone "postal" just yet but you can really waste some money on these fuel setups... maybe I'm good now...should know over the weekend.

I'm loving my TBI and it can be modified to support LOTS of horsepower. I run circles around any stock TBI or any stock Vortec 350 for that matter.

I'm loving my TBI and it can be modified to support LOTS of horsepower. I run circles around any stock TBI or any stock Vortec 350 for that matter.

what is your engine setup?

looks like an out of range Map sensor

so what does your TBI engine consist of and what CI is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom