5.7 Vortec coming soon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sunset South Carolina, Tamassee, South Carolina
Getting ready to install 5.7 vortec mated to a 4L80E tranny into my 80 soon. I will be using Mark's Adapters parts to mate the GM tranny to my Toyota TC. Also getting the tachometer interface from them.

I have a few questions in case any of you out there have done this already:

I have been advised by the folks at AA that my TC will be located further to the rear. Do I modify the TC shift lever to fit into the existing hole in the tranny hump ou cut a new hole?

Do I retain and use the existing tranny shifter of go with an after-market?

Everything else is pretty strait-forward. I will fab a pair of motor mounts, rear x-member tranny support mounts, and radiator shroud. Will have the local driveshaft shop modify my driveshafts as needed. I have all of the factory wiring from the vortec so I am hoping for little complications.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Capt. Jim said:
Getting ready to install 5.7 vortec mated to a 4L80E tranny into my 80 soon. I will be using Mark's Adapters parts to mate the GM tranny to my Toyota TC. Also getting the tachometer interface from them.

I have a few questions in case any of you out there have done this already:

I have been advised by the folks at AA that my TC will be located further to the rear. Do I modify the TC shift lever to fit into the existing hole in the tranny hump ou cut a new hole?

Do I retain and use the existing tranny shifter of go with an after-market?

Everything else is pretty strait-forward. I will fab a pair of motor mounts, rear x-member tranny support mounts, and radiator shroud. Will have the local driveshaft shop modify my driveshafts as needed. I have all of the factory wiring from the vortec so I am hoping for little complications.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Go for it! What year Cruiser

I don’t think the LC shifter will work with only 3 forward drive positions. I used a console and shifter out of a Camaro in both the 40 and 60 = cheap and ez with no special part$.
Have the electrical diagrams enlarged for both vehicles and nail them to the garage wall. Strip all unused wires out of the harness prior to installation. Try to locate the ECM where you won’t need to lengthen the harness. Tag all the wires you can or you run the risk of being totally overwhelmed.
Buy a beer dispenser
:cheers:

hmmm, can't help with your tech questions...but your post does make one wonder.

did your 4.5 die? how many miles did she make it? did you pull that offshore boat with it much? is that the reason for the Vortec?

wd

LandCruiserPhil said:
Go for it! What year Cruiser

I don’t think the LC shifter will work with only 3 forward drive positions. I used a console and shifter out of a Camaro in both the 40 and 60 = cheap and ez with no special part$.
Have the electrical diagrams enlarged for both vehicles and nail them to the garage wall. Strip all unused wires out of the harness prior to installation. Try to locate the ECM where you won’t need to lengthen the harness. Tag all the wires you can or you run the risk of being totally overwhelmed.
Buy a beer dispenser
:cheers:

It's a '97 I've owned since new.

Appreciate the heads-up with the wiring harness, as well as the shifter.

Best advice offered: The beer dispenser....... :beer: :beer: :beer:

whodat said:
hmmm, can't help with your tech questions...but your post does make one wonder.

did your 4.5 die? how many miles did she make it? did you pull that offshore boat with it much? is that the reason for the Vortec?

wd

The 4.5 is still running, and running quite well. The 315's on this truck have really slowed her down. She is also starting to use oil. There is 195,000 on the clock but have run her with the larger tires for the last 150,00 mi. so that will put the actual mileage above 200K.

I haven't pulled my big boat with her, but have done lots of towing with 2 smaller boats I have as well as having towed my 40 on my car trailer with her. I have a duramax for towing now. :D

I kinda have a lead foot, so that may be the underlying reason behind this. I'm also hoping I can get better gas mileage out of the vortec. :confused:

This is my wife's daily driver, will probably become a trail truck for me in the next year or two. Just have to get my wife something to replace it with. Always wanted to V8 one of these, just couldn't do it when she was newer as the 1Hz has always run flawlessly. May try to put the 4.5 in my 40 before this is all over......

Whoa!

Now I know who to call in WPB, Florida if I get stuck :bounce:

Certain it will all be worth it :beer:

Capt. Jim:

The 4L80E would not be my first choice - electronic equivalent of the TH400. This transmission will suck the power from the Vortec. You should use the 4L6xE variants. The 4L6x's have a lower first gear, use less HP to operate, incorporate overdrive and can handle moderate towing - especially in the hilly terrain of Florida :D

Have you considered "Marks Adapters" from Australia? They might have a bell-housing to attach to the stock tranny.

Make sure you have room between the transfer case & the fuel tank?
Might have to extend the transmission tunnel

Joe

What about this combo - 5.7 mated to a 91-92 FJ80's tranny and tcase. Wouldnt this remove a lot of headache with wiring, computer control and fabrication? It would also provide the correct rear driveline clearance and passenger side tcase output.

Lars said:
What about this combo - 5.7 mated to a 91-92 FJ80's tranny and tcase. Wouldnt this remove a lot of headache with wiring, computer control and fabrication? It would also provide the correct rear driveline clearance and passenger side tcase output.

If you use a 4L60 there is no computer control.

The reason I'm using the 4L80E is because it's alraedy mated to the vortec, and is connected electronically with the factory GM ECU I am getting. I will indeed be using Mark's Adapters to mate the GM tranny with my TC.

Heven't checked clearances with the tank or any other items yet. I'm sure there may be some conflicts.

I did originally plan to mate the Vortec to my stock tranny, but the folks at Advanced Adapters convinced me to stay with the 4L80E. Although the gearing won't be as low as the 4L60E, I will still have overdrive as well as a pretty stout tranny for this truck.

Going to wait til all the Hurricanes are gone and weather gets cooler before I begin the transplant......

LandCruiserPhil said:
If you use a 4L60 there is no computer control.

I thought the 4l60 is the electronically controlled equivalant of theTurbo350.

Is there a 4l60 and a 4l60e or are they the same thing?

Lars

TH350 -> 700r4 -> 4L60 -> 4L60E & variants
TH400 -> 4L80E & variants

Capt. Jim said:
Where in Florida are ya, Bounder?

I'm in N. Palm Beach - off PGA Blvd, East of 95.

BOUNDER said:
I'm in N. Palm Beach - off PGA Blvd, East of 95.

A few of us are meeting for breakfast sunday morning about 9:00 AM in West Palm at Dante's Restaurant , a few blocks east of 95 on the south side of Belvedere. Please come and join us. I suspect we'll have about 4 or 5 of us showing up. We do this every couple of months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom