5.7 oem oil filter color? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Just got some oem filters from Longo Toyota and the box is slightly different along with the filter color and feel.

White is the filters I’m use to changing and seeing and now there’s this new fakish looking orange one.

Thoughts? Both were bought from a dealer. West coast Toyota of long beach and Longo Toyota

View attachment 3320739

IMG_7942.jpeg

IMG_7943.jpeg

IMG_7941.jpeg

@OGBeno @cruiserdan any chance a dealer would be selling anything other than Genuine filters?

Every one I've dealt with from Toyota and Lexus were that lighter color. Unless some manufacturing changes happened.

I've never seen orange but that doesn't mean anything. If from dealer I'd be surprised if it was fake. And if it was a fake they'd want it to look as real as possible so why make it orange?

For my cars I always buy consumables at a dealer. Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes. I feel safe with dealers I just shop for discounted prices. One issue buying online is you don't always know who fulfills the order. Notice how Walmart now sells just about everything online but they're just the middleman so product could be coming from anywhere. I was buying NGK sparkplugs for my jet skis from Amazon but there are fake ones out there. Had a brand new plug break off in the head after maybe an 1/8th of a turn. Never had that happen before. Threw $100 worth of plugs in the trash. Wasn't worth the risk.

Mine are usually the lighter color there. I usually get mine from Walmart, as they stock Toyota OEM filters (assuming they are real).

I talked to some Toyota Parts folks and Lube techs.

Looks like Toyota recently changed the filter design earlier this year and this is the new style filter. There is a bulletin I’ll post when I get it.

Techs are calling it the pumpkin spice filter, HA.

Not sure how the filter media is. Some said it’s a material change to counteract E10 fuel??

Anyway it feels cheaper, maybe it’s time for me to go to the Amsoil filter…

Only toyota would seriously consider putting out a "pant" bulletin.

As for whether this justifies switching to Amsoil.. no. They wouldn't be putting these into millions of vehicles if the design change didn't meet their quality and longevity goals. If you want to run Amsoil or TRD or whatever do it on the merits of that product.. these will absolutely work just fine.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

As for whether this justifies switching to Amsoil.. no. They wouldn't be putting these into millions of vehicles if the design change didn't meet their quality and longevity goals. If you want to run Amsoil or TRD or whatever do it on the marits of that product.. these will absolutely work just fine.
That’s a good point. I still have some OG oem filters left over so I’ll probably keep using those and then switch to the new ones.

Its funnier when I know you would genuinely subscribe to that newsletter LOL

I still have a few of the older ones, guess I'll be getting the Starbucks latte filters going forward.

Not sure how the filter media is. Some said it’s a material change to counteract E10 fuel??

Maybe they had to fake out all the fake filter manufacturers...
Do you know if the TRD filters have changed too? I was thinking of getting those soon instead now that my housing is metal. I like the uniformity.

As for whether this justifies switching to Amsoil.. no. They wouldn't be putting these into millions of vehicles if the design change didn't meet their quality and longevity goals. If you want to run Amsoil or TRD or whatever do it on the merits of that product.. these will absolutely work just fine.

Why not call your local parts or service manager.

I'm sitting pretty with a TRD filter in the LC and 3 on the shelf.

PANT comes from the bulletin's title.

Why not call your local parts or service manager.

I'm sitting pretty with a TRD filter in the LC and 3 on the shelf.

PANT comes from the bulletin's title.
I ended up getting answers from other folks I knew who worked in the industry. The only answer I got from the dealer is “we only sell oem parts.”

Either way im happy with what I learned

I just purchased the filter from a local dealer a few days ago and it’s the same orange. I had a doubt about if it’s fake when I received it but now it’s clear that Toyota made a change/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom