5.3 vortec pedal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just acquired a 62 with the vortec in it. Great truck but a few minor items to be ironed out. the first thing I need to address is the pedal set up. The brake pedal and accelerator are too close together. It doesn't help that the brake pedal has about 3/4 of an inch of lateral play in it also. I keep catching the gas pedal with the side of my foot when going for the brake. Unprompted my friend did it also on first drive.
The pedal is 3/4 of an inch to 1 and a half inches away from the gas depending on the play issue.

A lot of the pedal issues I read about in the 5.3 conversion threads are more about issues with the skinny pedal rather than the brake. Has anyone had this particular issue? I am told it is a stock GM pedal set up.

Although it is very hard to see I wonder if the diameter of the bolt holding the pedal in place is too narrow causing the sideways play?

Anyone have an 05 Yukon or Tahoe? What is the usual space between pedals? Is the stock GM set up usually so close?

Any help greatly appreciated

Start with new bushings in your brake pedal. I have had to modify every gas pedal I have installed with a swap. I have been using matching sets of Lokar pedals with good luck. The brake pedal can be easily modified to be adjustable up and down as well as left and right. The gas pedal is adjustable up and down in an arc.

It sounds like your gas pedal might also be too high in relation to the brake pedal if you are catching it that easy.

Yes, I have the same problem. I've already moved my 5.3 pedal down once and I need to lower it more. Is your throttle DBW or cable? I saw someone cut the chevy pedal off and weld on a 60 pedal. Eventually I'm going to do that.

This is a truck pedal that has been cut down and welded back in place.

10806288_867731353257757_1424780892980025285_n.jpg

This is the pedal that comes with crate motors, looks like it belongs in a dump truck.

13343113_1186774111353478_3170119586553987455_n.jpg

13335675_1186774094686813_8340424035719377306_n.jpg

Lokar pedal adapted to pedal arm

13412885_1189379311092958_2105197703362364692_n.jpg

Another set of Lokar pedals. Gas pedal is adjusted forward, the adjustment can be seen to the right of the top hole showing in the fire wall.

17814558_1485010111529875_9047625752382686819_o.jpg

20180223_073457.jpg
20180223_073513.jpg
20180223_074140.jpg
20180223_074157.jpg

This is the current set up. Its not easy to see in the pics but the brake pedal is set just a shade higher than the gas. However that is misleading as the brakes don't bite until you are in to the pedal a ways therefore putting them fairly level. I like the idea of an adjustable set up. The lokar stuff is good looking and I also have to find a solution for the not easy or intuitive B+M shifter that will kill my plan of making this easy enough to get the :princess: to drive it once in a while.

I did tighten the nut at the top of the brake pedal which improved things a little but they are still way too close together for my liking

Last edited:
And the tunnel limits your capacity to move the gas pedal over to the right as much as you want. Since you're running an auto trans, you can remove the brake pedal and put an offset bend in it, moving it to the left.

I gots a 60 and the brake pedal is nowhere as wide as the one on that pic... also, i don't have any side play on mine. .... perhaps you are missing a bushing/ washer of some sort at the pivot point of the pedal?

The gas pedal looks the same as mine, but the way they set it up. . it's too far to the left....
Pic of my set up.....

20180223_082322.jpg

For a shifter i would def look at the Lokar brand....

I gots a 60 and the brake pedal is nowhere as wide as the one on that pic... also, i don't have any side play on mine. .... perhaps you are missing a bushing/ washer of some sort at the pivot point of the pedal?

The gas pedal looks the same as mine, but the way they set it up. . it's too far to the left....
Pic of my set up.....

View attachment 1640095

The tahoe/yukon forums seem to talk about replacing that bushing. Unfortunately doesnt seem to take all of the play out of pedal. I may take the pedal off and attempt to bend it as @workingdog suggests and replace the bushing at the same time. You smaller pedal may be better. Any idea what yours came off of?

The brake pedal pads use a 1/2" stud on the back for mounting. The second brake pedal I showed above has two holes for the stud in the back of the pedal, one centered and one off set. This allows for the pedal to be mounted centered or off set to either side as well as being height adjustable. I weld a tab perpendicular to the brake pedal stem to the left side with a half inch hole. This moves the pad a little to the left to begin with and you can go even more if you use the off set hole.

In regard to the shifter, I use Lokar floor mounted with good results. You can get different heights and different shift knobs.

Pic of my set up.....

View attachment 1640095

Sorry just reread your post and saw that you got your pedal off of a 60. An oversight on first read through(on my phone at work)

Last edited:
The brake pedal pads use a 1/2" stud on the back for mounting. The second brake pedal I showed above has two holes for the stud in the back of the pedal, one centered and one off set. This allows for the pedal to be mounted centered or off set to either side as well as being height adjustable. I weld a tab perpendicular to the brake pedal stem to the left side with a half inch hole. This moves the pad a little to the left to begin with and you can go even more if you use the off set hole.

In regard to the shifter, I use Lokar floor mounted with good results. You can get different heights and different shift knobs.
Do you have a model number for the brake pedal you mention with the offset hole?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom