5.3 Vortec build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking to pull my 2f out of my 1976 fj 40 and put a Vortec 5.3 in it soon.i was looking at getting either an b t b products wiring harness or one from Mosley motors figure the motor mounts bell housing I’m getting from advanced adapters with the short 4 inch or so bell housing. Any suggestions on what to get or how to go about it tgat will help ??? I was thinking taking the brush guard and front end off to make it easier and to clean that area up just paint and replace old bolts ?

Do a Holly terminator X harness and ECU. Plug and play.

Do a Holly terminator X harness and ECU. Plug and play.
What do you recommend about the holly terminator x wiring harness? Just at a glance it looks a bit excessive for me? I’ll probably just be using it on tge trails in tge Colorado rocky area trails was thinking about Moab in tge future. I know I can put a turbo nitrous or a blower on tge Vortec. But wow didn’t think I would need tgat much more power since tge Vortec will allready double the currrent 2 f horsepower I was thinking something reliable fairly way to hook up tge terminator x diagnositics looked nice but I’d it more than I’ll ever need in a fj 40 ?

Thank you i very well might but I wanted to know is there advantages with tge terminator x wiring over others? Like more add on horse power in the future? More reliable? Ease of?
I heard from redline cruiser the shop in Colorado Springs tgat tge painless wiring harness is junk that the grounds are wrong and it doesn’t connect to tge old fj 40 wiring very well the tge terminator x is looking about $900 were tge B t b products and Mosley motors is looking at about $600 but tge terminator x looks like I can bolt on more performance we’re tge others don’t but I’m only going off what I read and I was wondering on a trail or to actually be able to keep up with freeway traffic if I would need more horsepower than the Vortec allready has? Maybe if I take it to Moab or???

... if I would need more horsepower than the Vortec allready has? Maybe if I take it to Moab or???
You won't need more horsepower than the Vortex already has. It's a short wheel base brick, don't overthink it.

Can you do wiring at all? If so, rework the GM harness. TONS of info on the net.

Can you do wiring at all? If so, rework the GM harness. TONS of info on the net.
Yes I’ve done some wiring and had tge dash apart a few times I got the entire original 5.3 harness in tact it was unbolted and hadn’t been cut I would really appreciate some links on how to tie the harness together I’m driving working truck driver my phone not showing jack that’s useful on a search bad key words ?

Awesome. Poke around on here: Specifically this page:
Thank you very much guys will look later I took a glance figure it’s something to look at when I’m not driving
I found this guys videos helpful. Along with a wiring diagram he has in the discripition. I haven’t fired it up yet, but this made it seems easy. Super tedious, but

I did a 5.3L build in my old 69 FJ40. I cant really help with much of the wiring aspect because the motor I bought came with a modded harness. There's tons of other part numbers etc in my build thread if you are interested.

Bass how does yours behave with the Vortec in it? Would you recommend installing the power steering conversion?? Does it get loose in the rear end ?

Nope no emissions where I’m at in Colorado and I’m sure the Vortec as long as it’s running right will be cleaner than the old 2 f that’s in it and I can straight pipe it lol probably need two noise canceling mufflers if I want to run it at all on the streets lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom