5.3 Swap CA Smog Required Equipment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BigBenFJ

1988 Fj62
Threads
Good evening fellas

The time has come to swap the mighty 3FE for some modern day V8 power. I have done research on the things I need to get (engine, motor mounts, crossmember tranny..... And the list goes on for awhile). What I have not been able to find is the required smog equipment for the 5.3. I live in California so no going under the radar on this one, I need it to be 100% smog legal. Can someone point me in the direction of where to find what I need to pull off the donor vehicle.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437103227.929997.jpg

The engine is in my 2003 Tahoe and and is very compact as in most of the stuff attaches to the engine or the harness. You need the evap. requisite number of O2 sensors, catalytic converters etc... I suppose some here might have a "list" but I would suggest first examine a GM vehicle and go from there. I couldn't write every part down but I could take some pictures if there was an area you needed a better look at.

If any part is missing it will probably throw a code which will help ID the issue. Going through the BAR exam is a piece of cake and costs about $9, cheapest smog you will ever get. If you had a 2003 Tahoe engine they will just smog it as if it is a 2003 Tahoe and if you pass you pass, that's all there is to it.

Frank

I'm still n the middle of my conversion but I am attempting the same thing - a smog legal conversion.

You'll need: EVAP canister, purge and vent solenoids, GM fuel sender and fuel pressure sensor (all part of the GM fuel pump assembly), two catalytic converters and 4 O2 sensors. Might need an EGR depending on your donor motor.

Obviously your PCM will need to be flashed accordingly.

Lots of great info here on these conversions. Keep reading - all the answers are here somewhere and good luck!

-Ed

Lots of great info here on these conversions. Keep reading - all the answers are here somewhere and good luck!

-Ed

Research Research Research I recommend that you read up on LSX related information anywhere you can find it on the net. For Cruiser specific information as well as general information there is also a bunch right here on MUD. These swaps are not rocket science but they are involved and you need to have a game plan going in to wind up with a good DD.

I'm still n the middle of my conversion but I am attempting the same thing - a smog legal conversion.

You'll need: EVAP canister, purge and vent solenoids, GM fuel sender and fuel pressure sensor (all part of the GM fuel pump assembly), two catalytic converters and 4 O2 sensors. Might need an EGR depending on your donor motor.

Obviously your PCM will need to be flashed accordingly.

-Ed

Ed is absolutely correct. I've done these conversions and the ref will ask for the vin # of the donor vehicle to determine which items are required. The EGR is really the only variable.
In addition ....... You also need to worry about placement of the catalytic converters and all 4 of the O2 sensors. They're located a specific distance downstream from the oem manifold or from the head. They will need to be located the same distance in the receiving vehicle ( given a couple of inches either way ). The exhaust lay-out has to mimic the donor vehicle as well; at least until just after the second set of O2 sensors.

Do your homework then make it happen. It's a great conversion and makes these wagons so much more fun to drive.

Feel free to message me if you need more info or help with parts.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Watching this theard as i attempting the same in my 93 fj80. Hope it goes well for you!. I am searching for the motor now so far 2225 for an 80.000 mile 02 5.34 l60e and ecm along wit the evap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom