5.3 Reverse lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys and gals, hope everyone is doing good and staying healthy! It’s been a while since Ive been on MUD 😁

I’ve found sound time to finish up the last remaining “details” of an LS (‘04’ 5.3 & 4l60e) swap i did about a decade ago...

Anyhow- Reverse lights:

Looking at the wiring diagrams: looks like the original backup light switch is fed 12v from L (blue) and R-B (red) is 12v switch to the reverse lights. On the 4l60e MLPS ( range) switch, a 12v reverse light supply is found on pin 10.

Do I need to wire in a relay in this case? Slightly worried the backup lights pull too many A to simply feed them off the MLPS pin 10 via R-B wire ( ~12 ga?)

What do the experts say? TIA very much!

9464F329-15E8-41EA-8418-9FE3B2D5E7C8.png

7053A43D-D85B-4B34-BBC1-76C6AFF9EF98.jpeg

3270C6BD-99C1-4814-9F71-C6F1BFA7031D.png

Just to follow up . I wired a relay in. 12v in from Toyota backup light harness (Blue), 12v reverse light trigger ( switched) from GM fuse block- fused pin F10 on C1 connector, and 12v out to reverse lights on Toyota harness ( red).

This also allowed me to install a backup camera which is pretty nice upgrade.

Works like a charm

That is good info. I just hooked up a spare light wired to a switch and would flip it on when backing up. I ll try your approach.

On mine with the older(?) 2 connector MLPS I just use the backup lamp supply out directly like the GM truck would.

I lopped the connector off of the Toyota reverse switch on the trans and wired it to ignition 1 voltage (C2-C) and backup lamp supply voltage (C2-F) then plugged it back into the stock harness.

Always a good idea to double check pin out connections with a meter, and using a relay can definitely add some piece of mind.

I also have the starter relay wired through the MLPS so you can't start in gear.

Backup%20Lamp%20Switch%20-%20SUV.gif

Next up is wiring the NSS via my Lokar shifter.. gonna install a hidden kill switch while I’m at it.

Can’t believe I haven’t gotten around to this stuff for like 10 years but .. life happens

Next up is wiring the NSS via my Lokar shifter.. gonna install a hidden kill switch while I’m at it.

Why not wire it through the MLPS? On the 2 plug connector it is a pass through on C2-E and C2-G. I use this as the trigger to the relay coil for my starter relay.

OEM Starter +12v signal goes to C2-E and C2-G goes to relay side
1999-2002 Starting Schematic

For the single connector MLPS looks like you can use 12 and 1, although the stock wiring diagram is definitely not as straight forward and would heavily depend on how your existing starting circuit is wired, so maybe through the shifter is more straight forward?
2004 Starting Schematic

Side note, for those that don't know about www.lt1swap.com it is a great resource for schematics, pin outs and other resources related to swaps for these motors

The lokar shifter has provision for NSS ... so I figured that was the straightforward approach. I’d rather not have to play with tapping wires on the MLPS if I don’t have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom