5.13 gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello, does anyone know a good place to get a set of 5.13 gears for my 74' fj40????

hey guys thanks for your quick response, here's my prob currently in the process of SOA conversion and planing on big things (tires) well i already prior to the SOA had 3" lift springs under it so at the end of the lift process i should have no prob stuffing the 38-13.5-15 super swamps under the beast but i am planning on 44"s and was looking at what kind of gears would be best this is a straight mudder has the 350 v8 with turbo700 auto trans thanks any help will be appriciated thanks again!

I would recomend rockwells or d60's or mog 406/416's. I'm not sure the LC axles are up to the task of 44's and lots of HP. I'm sure you've been told this, but if not thats the advice that everyone's gonna give for 44's. maybe if you run open diffs you could get away with it, but it seems to be the concensus that 38 or 39's are the larges size that will hold up, and thats with longfields and chromo axles.

I am soa with OME 2.5" springs and I could squeeze 44's with bump stops, but I would loose a lot of flex, They stuff pretty close to the cut fenders as it is with 38.5X16X15 tsl's.

I have contemplated a set of 44" sand tires for use in the snow only and might try them if I find a set cheap, but they will probably break axles too.

If it's strictly for mud comps it seems to be popular to run 5.29 front and 4.88 rear. I guess it helps to have the fronts spin a little slower for controll, at least thats what the mud guys tell me, but I'm not much of a mud racer.

best of luck
put up some pics when its done

Another vote for spending your money on some other axle setup. Especially since I doubt you've got a fully floater in the back and will be grinding on your gears to get your pinion shaft back in your diff.

Jetboy said:
If it's strictly for mud comps it seems to be popular to run 5.29 front and 4.88 rear. I guess it helps to have the fronts spin a little slower for controll, at least thats what the mud guys tell me, but I'm not much of a mud racer.

You've got it backwards. You want the fronts to spin faster so they'll pull you through the muck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom