4X4Labs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1975.JPG

Something done differently, that has me rethinking future projects. 4x4Labs now rolls the 3/16" in a press
to create a mounting bracket to the frame. None of the 1/2" thick, long separate brackets like I did and others have
done, which I did to emulate them. The bends are sharp and precise, and fabbed with CAD and cut I think with
CNC. There are through bolts in the bottom and sides of truck frame. Recovery points are machined separate
and added through holes cut.
You can see this on the side shot. This is a rear 80 bumper.

IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG

Last edited:
This was on a hoist, I am putting it here just for everyone that's into exo cages. This is totally a Vancouver island bush basher.

IMG_1925.JPG
IMG_1926.JPG
IMG_1927.JPG

This is a Taco bumper. I think this is where Luke gets the honour of using the word Labs in his name. Such incredible
design, precise fitting and looks like right out of the future! The welding, fit and finish is as good as the best that
I've seen. This one is just one side.

IMG_1957.JPG
IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_1961.JPG

Damn can you bring a bumper kit home for me? I was just thinking about getting one of those 80 bumpers, the DIY version :)

Sorry, I travel for 5 weeks and my suitcase is carryon size. But send Luke an email and price one out.
He has the whole shipping thing worked out to a science. His bumpers are modular, so you can sort of
mix it up as you go along.

These are some of the pieces on the shelf. Everything is so cluttered, it's obviously not set up for tourists from
Canada to walk around taking pics. Luke gave me free reign, but I made sure to ask before I took pics of anything
in process or research and development. Case in point, at Valley Hybrids there was one truck that none of you saw,
and won't. He does have a couple of cool projects on the go.

IMG_1930.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1956.JPG

There were bumper and rack jigs everywhere. If someone wanted to learn the process of creating a jig, and see
some this is the place to go. This level of fabrication is really pretty cool. I think this is a 60 series bumper. There are
about 8-10 pics.

IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG

It's interesting to see the 80 rear bumper pics, I have one of those on my rig and it has a "floral" cut out in place of the large round cutouts that you pictured.... They must have figured out that my version is really hard to clean debris out of!

** you apparently have to cut off about 3" of the rear frame to fit that bumper. I'd recommend the split swing out's(as pictured) as mine is a single arm which is difficult at times(for various reasons) and with a 35 hanging off the back it really bounces around.

Great Pics!

rest of the bumper, just shows the workmanship and intricacy. There is a real life difference from homemade.
Note again, the precision bent wrap around the frame for mounting. I've realized that the holes could be oblonged a bit
for mounting and squaring up to an individual truck, once it's all tightened down, then a couple of precise locator holes and
bolts could go through to keep it from shifting. The other thing I talked to Luke about was how you can see the evolution to
precious bumpers. He has realized and adjusted from heavy overkill metal in some areas to bending thinner, lighter material
but ending with just as strong or stronger, but lighter.

IMG_1970.JPG
IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG
IMG_1976.JPG

I'm just going to throw up the last 4 pics of the bumper. The can rack is flush with the swing arm, it's designed to come
straight back at the same level as the swing arm.

IMG_1978.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1980.JPG
IMG_1981.JPG

Now that you mention it, that bumper appears to be made of thinner gauge than mine in some areas. Mine is a bit overkill at a glance... although better than too light I suppose. Those bumpers look more than up to the task at hand!

Pic of the coolest old Pig, poor old beast
The FJ40 stretch is home made rig. I didn't even ask, I want that little blue FJ40 98% body!!

IMG_1921.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1943.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG
IMG_1951.JPG

Now that you mention it, that bumper appears to be made of thinner gauge than mine in some areas. Mine is a bit overkill at a glance... although better than too light I suppose. Those bumpers look more than up to the task at hand!
Like I said, we talked about that cause that is why home made bumper is an attempt at keeping weight down. These bumpers
are the nicest I've ever seen on the market,

This is the last pic. This bumper was sitting on the floor, ready for paint//powdercoat. The absolute best feature of the
4X4Labs rear bumpers is how the quarter protection is part of the whole structure and comes right under the bottom of the
truck, can really take a beating. I like the DOM around the top of the quarter protection, stout is the word!

IMG_1922.JPG

Luke is an innovator in the landcruiser armor, Mark from Metal tech does some great work also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom