4x4labs rear bumper build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pay close attention to the placement of the ball studs on the swing arms in Pic 18.3 to get the cam locking action. Place the ball studs closer to the trailing edge of the arm, not in the middle.
Tire carriers, can carriers, cooler racks and ladders will all use a 15” gas spring. We used to have one 12" and one 15" spring but now we use the same length for both arms. See pic below.

AGAIN- We now use the longer 15" shock for both swing arms.

Drill and tap the holes for the ball studs using a 5/16-18 tap. You can weld the ball studs in but it may cause problems later if you have to replace them.
View attachment 126606

FYI these holes are now 8mm not 5/16-18!

basic bumper came together easy. Missing the tow anchors in the kit though. No big deal. Luke will get them out quick. So far I'm impressed with the ease of the kit. Probably 4 hrs of work so far. If you call it work.

WP_20171021_18_29_38_Pro.jpg

tried to start on my swing outs but the kit didn't come with the bearing races or the sleeves. So at this point I am missing the races, sleeves, tube top caps and rear recovery points. I cant move forward on the project without those items. I'm very disappointed with this kit at this point. at this rate I am sure that more items will be missing as i move on to the tire carrier, jerry can holder and front bumper.

I have the front bumper kit and rear dual swingout kit ordered. Just waiting for them to get here now.

tried to start on my swing outs but the kit didn't come with the bearing races or the sleeves. So at this point I am missing the races, sleeves, tube top caps and rear recovery points. I cant move forward on the project without those items. I'm very disappointed with this kit at this point. at this rate I am sure that more items will be missing as i move on to the tire carrier, jerry can holder and front bumper.
talked to them yesterday. They shipping all of the missing pieces out today.

getting closer. Got all my missing parts quickly.

WP_20171027_18_18_08_Pro.jpg

Links don't work

Check your parts carefully, I am in the swing out build phase and am missing the stoppers, the gas struts, and my swing out arms are incomplete. Prior to that one of the end caps was missing for the round tube and the recovery points that were sent were actually for a " G wagon".

I also had numerous parts missing and several that didn't match any directions and i have no idea what they are for. Frustrating.

I am running medium load springs. 4x4 lab kit w/triple Jerry can mount. Daily driving they are perfect. Fully loaded slight 1" squat and mushy on the trails. I'm keeping my rear medium springs and plan on a quality air bag kit for the rear.

I am running medium load springs. 4x4 lab kit w/triple Jerry can mount. Daily driving they are perfect. Fully loaded slight 1" squat and mushy on the trails. I'm keeping my rear medium springs and plan on a quality air bag kit for the rear.

I wouldn't mount my 250 dirt bike on the reciever mount fully loaded or a tounge heavy trailer with the medium load springs.

FYI these holes are now 8mm not 5/16-18!
God damnit, how convenient. My tap kit doesn't have that. The nearest one is probably an hour away if I'm lucky. At least I only did one before I figured it out. It looks to be m8x1.5 because my m8x1.25 doesn't fit.

Edit- after chasing the threads, it fits. Maybe a little loose though

Last edited:
I’m finally getting around to building this bumper and I know a bunch have been built by CSC’ers. Any advice before diving in? Anything you’d do different if you built it again? Basic bumper, no swings or accessories.
- I’m planning on adding a piece of 3/16” strap to reinforce the wings.
- I’m also thinking about adding lights, but I don’t know if I should flush mount them or french them in so they point back and not angled at the ground.
- Anybody have a clean mount for a trailer wiring socket?

Interested in the rear bumper, with double swing out and 1 can holder ! I'm semi disabled and retired, and live in Grass Valley ... Will you install this Luke ? since your close ! or I have someone else close that you know could do it too ... just please let me know ? also price for the whole shibang or guesstimate would be cool !

Last edited:
Interested in the rear bumper, with double swing out and 1 can holder ! I'm semi disabled and retired, and live in Grass Valley ... Will you install this Luke ? since your close ! or I have someone else close that you know could do it too ... just please let me know ? also price for the whole shibang or guesstimate would be cool !

@onedaatmc

you should email him directly at luke@4x4labs.com

I do not think he will ever see your message here.

I went and Met Luke and HD at their shop in Grass Valley Thursday, Prepaid for the rear bumper and now just waiting the 6 weeks to get it ! Having a friend help me install it once it's done !

I went and Met Luke and HD at their shop in Grass Valley Thursday, Prepaid for the rear bumper and now just waiting the 6 weeks to get it ! Having a friend help me install it once it's done !

I purchased one from them online a week and a half ago and can’t wait to get mine also.
Did you order a built one or kit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom