4X4Labs and mounting steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AlaskanWheeler

SILVER Star
Threads
If I were to use the 4x4labs steering arms, along with an SOA and SR combo. Would I have to worry about the position of my SAG box with the extended wheel base? I ask this because the drag link would be in the rear of the axle eliminating the possiblilty of hitting the tie rod. Is there something else I'm missing or can I keep my SAG box in the same location with the extended wheel base?
Thanks

The first question that arises is; are you using a forward pitman arm of rearward-facing? The next question is; where do you have your Saginaw box mounted? Even with these questions answered, I think you will have a tough time finding your answer online. I would recommend purchasing the parts and fittng the components as necessary. My 2cents only. BTW- I have used Lukes arms and have nothing but admiration for them. :)

Generally speaking the common Saginaw conversion *needs* to have the wheelbase exteneded to get a good relationship between the drag link and the tierod/knuckle arms.

We've done 3 or 4 with the Saginaw and the extended wheelbase, and it doesn't create any problems when the tierod is in front of the axle.

Mark...

I just realized I have a forward facing pitman arm when I tried to mount the box to the plate yesterday. However I've never seen a conversion using that type. Will I run into any problems using a forward facing vs. rearward facing arm? Is it possible to pull the arm and rotate it 180? and put it back on? I'm a novice so this may in fact be a stupid question.

I"ll bite? You have a Saginaw style box, 4 bolt with a forward facing pitman arm on it?
I'm guessing you got it off a ford? Well here's the answer .. it'll work as long as you drive backwards. You cannot flip the pitman arm around 180deg and just bolt it on.. It will drive backwards. instead of pushing it will now be pulling thus turning the opposite direction. But make sure you didn't just put the pitman arm on backwards.

There are no stuipd questions.. Main reason I know is when I first built my saginaw system I had power steering but it was in reverse! :)

Actually I got it off a 1970 chevy impala. I haven't taken the arm off since it came home, so its definitely forward facing. It didn't even occur to me that there were 2 different styles.

An Impala box "should" be just like all the other Saginaw boxes we use in that it mounts in front of the cross member and is a "rear facing" box. I would check the rotation of the output shaft in relation to the input shaft.
A box off an Astro van (and some others) will turn the opposite way hence the need to mount it behind the crossmember if you don't want to steer backwards.

Once you get the box/Pitman issue straightened out, the answer to your original question is No, you will not have issues with the placement with the steering box.

I ask this because the drag link would be in the rear of the axle eliminating the possiblilty of hitting the tie rod. Is there something else I'm missing or can I keep my SAG box in the same location with the extended wheel base?

You are missing or not understanding the basic design of the 4x4Labs steering arms. With Luke's arms, the tie rod is located behind and above the axle (not the drag link). The drag link remins in the traditional position in front of the axle and roughly in line with the location of the traditional Model 800 Saginaw PS box.

What Jack said!
And also.. An FYI.. I was talking to Luke and his buddy (sorry can't remember his name) at Moab and they sell a complete kit to box both sides of the frame and mount a saginaw box as well.. Might be worth buying the whole shebang from Luke.. He's a heck of a nice guy and an awesome fabricator..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom