1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4x4 shifter makes rattling sound

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by pvaman, Oct 21, 2003.

1. pvaman

pvaman

Subject says it. You can stop the noise by putting some pressure on the shift lever but i'd like to fix this -- used to see pickup w/a rubber band serving this purpose. How common is this and how easy is it to fix it?

2. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I don't know if it's any comfort, but my FJ60 does this too. Just enough to be annoying. Pressure forward or back completely eliminates the noise, and the transfer shifts normally and doesn't pop out of gear.

3. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Mine also does the same thing in my 77 FJ40. If you figure it out, post a solution.

Thanks

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
  5. hammerhead

hammerhead

My 40 rattled good too. Here's how I eliminated the annoyance. Took out the shifter and mechanism and greased liberally. While it was out I did the gate mod. After assembly I wiped off the excess grease to avoid collecting dirt. 4 months later still no rattle.

6. plan66

plan66

I slid a short section of heater hose down the shifter so it provided a rubber cushion agianst the shifter gate. It isn't 100% quite, but a hell of a lot better than it used to be. It doesn't interfere with shifting, and it is not visible below the shifter boot.

7. 1Fine40

1Fine40 Rust Buster SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Got this cure from Mark Whatley on the Toyota Trails staff:
    Loosen the pivot bolt for the shifter so it canslide sideways out about 1/4". You will see a round looking pin that engages into the 2wd/4wd shift mechanism slot on the front nose cone of the tcase. Place a liberal dollop of silicone sealer into the slot. Now slide the shifter back over until the end engages and squishes the silicone out of the 2wd/4wd mechanism slot. Re-tighten the pivot bolt and let the whole assembly sit for 12 hours while the silicone sets up.

I did this 4 years ago, and it has yet to rattle again..... :cheers:

8. pvaman

pvaman

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=6592;start=msg53583#msg53583 date=1066796808]
    My 40 rattled good too. Here's how I eliminated the annoyance. Took out the shifter and mechanism and greased liberally. While it was out I did the gate mod. After assembly I wiped off the excess grease to avoid collecting dirt. 4 months later still no rattle.
    [/quote]

OK...what's the gate mod?

9. mudduck

mudduck

I think that's to allow 2wd low.

10. pvaman

pvaman

Just curious...what's the root cause of this? Is something worn out that can easily be replaced?

11. Greg_B

Greg_B

There are two plastic bushings that wear out on the t-case shifter. I put news ones in my BJ42, and 2-3 years later is is rattling again. Gonna try the sillycone next time.

gb

12. pvaman

pvaman

are these two bushings pretty accessible from inside the truck?