Events/Trails 4x4 Ride to Cabezon Peak area, 1-7-2023, Saturday (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am leading a 4x4 Ride to the Cabezon Peak area, on Sat 1-7-2023.
We are meeting at San Ysidro, NM , Highway 550, at 9 am and leaving there at 9:30 am. Gas up there and meet across the highway at the closed Family Dollar Store parking lot.
ALL Day ride, but if someone needs to leave sooner, there are ways to easily get to Highway 550 from that area, and head toward town.

Will air down at San Ysidro, and take the dirt road route, via the Otero Wilderness /pipeline road to the Cabezon Peak area and explore the roads in this area. We will air back up, once we get back to pavement.

Easy to moderate roads. Could be mud , snow, or dry/ dusty or mixture.

HAM 146.400 or GMRS Channel 4

Plan is to be back around San Ysidro, NM by 5 pm.
Let me know on this thread if you plan to join me.
I have about 4 - 5 friends going , with me, right now. Join us and get out of town in 2023!!

I’m a maybe, could be a good test for the pickup’s new old transmission.

Jeff I’m trying to sort out making this. Fortunately or unfortunately I identified a few issues on the pickup during the snow run that I gotta solve. If I can get to them before the weekend I’ll let you know.
Thanks again for putting this out there!

This ride is a GO. Have about 12 4x4's going, right now. All brands, stock and modified rigs. Looking like a good day for off roading.

This maybe a silly question, but how good is the cell service on this trail? I am on call that day, but would like to join the festivities.

Cheers
I could not say for sure about cell service out in this country out around Cabezon Peak. Like most places in NM, only sometimes will there be cell coverage. We will be on mesa tops and in canyons all day.
Hope you can make it.

So how’d it go?

14 4x4's showed up. Took back way, via pipeline road , from San Ysidro, NM to Cabezon Peak area. Roads were good, not much dust, most of the day. Explored a primitive two track following highline poles. Lots of fun , until a very muddy stream crossing. I got through, but next rig got stuck. Strapped back out. I had to come back across and nearly made it out. Strap pull got me back with the rest of the group. Nice lunch spot on a sandstone cliff over looking a canyon.
Afternoon, went on good dirt roads to Bear's Mouth, on north end of Mt Taylor, mesa. Took old two track and found 2 old rock houses. Timber roofs had collapsed . One house had metal bars on the wooden window frames. ???? My guess, , if not old ranch houses, maybe old stagecoach way houses. There was a stage line from Santa Fe to Gallup, NM that went through this area. Who Knows??

Back to hwy 550 by 5 pm.

Saw only 2 bicycle riders all day. They had tried to climb up the back road up to the Mt Taylor Mesa , but said slimy mud and melting snow was impossible. They said they had to walk their bikes downhill, for a while, cause they could not steer in the mud. We saw no other vehicles all day. Ain't New Mexico great!!

Had whole area to ourselves.

Many roads left to explore out there. weather was great. 2 Tacomas, one Nissan Frontier, one Chevy Colorado, one H2 Hummer, One old Chevy Blazer, 6 various Jeep Wranglers, and my GX 460.. One JK had a Big Hemi V8 dropped into it by the owner, out of Los Alamos .
Will post a few pictures soon.

Sounds like a great time was had, bummer I had to work :bang:

Pictures from the Cabezon Peak ride
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0013.JPG
DSCF0016.JPG
DSCF0025.JPG

Beauty day! Such a cool area but that darn mud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom