4x4 Labs TRE hits passenger tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Smith

In the garage
SILVER Star
Threads
I mounted up one of my new 36x13.5x15 bias IROKs on 15x8 3 and 5/8" BS rim and I have a problem with the passenger side TRE hitting the tire. My old 33x12.5x15 tires on 15x8 3.75BS with my 1/4 spacer barely clears the TRE. It actually kind of self clearenced the raised white letters. I am running the 1/4 spacer in this picture so I have a overall BS of 3 and 3/8" and it hits.

My idea to solve this problem is run 1.25" spacers on the front with 3.75BS rims to give me an overall BS of 2.5" which *has* to clear the huge GM TRE. I know this will increase wear on trunion and wheel bearings since I drive to the trails.

Do I need to run spacers in the rear also? If I don't will I get weird handleing issues?

Who is running this setup on the street and how is it? I have to drive this anywhere from 3 to 10 hours to get to the trails.
tretire.jpg

depending on the rim backspaceing, you prolly need 1/4 inch spacers.
i needed 1/4 inch spacers for my 40..

ir there a left and right side arm?
maybe they are on the wrong side? :confused:

Sounds dumb but are you sure you don't have it on backwards? Just checked mine and the taper on the arm should be away from the tire to give you more clearance.

OK, I am POSITIVE the arm is on correctly. Why, because Luke uses a smaller TRE for the tierod behind the axle and larger ones from the pitman to the front of the passenger side arm. So perhaps I have a freak arm.

Wes, the rear TRE on the passenger side clears fine.

I would still like to hear from people who run with spacers on their front axle on the street or 2.5inBS rims.

Any death wobble or following of ruts with this setup? I have a friend who removed his 1.25" spacers because he thought it gave him the deathwobble.

spacers will not give you deathwobble but they can make it more apparent.

I ran 2.5" BS rims on my cruiser for years. Loved em.

make sure that your knuckle bearings are in good condition and go to town..

Brand new knuckle and wheel bearings here. How often were you replacing the bearings? Since this truck sees perhaps 5000 miles a year I am not too worried about the additional expense of more frequent bearing changes. Thanks for the input!

I never put enough miles on it to change out the knuckle bearings. It will wear them a bit faster but heck. 5K a year you will probably never notice.

We probably have a half a dozen rigs in LSLC running the 1.5" spacers, some only on front, no issues at all, go for it........

Like Butch said, no issues. Different track width front/rear won't cause problems. I am guessing the width of the tire coupled with the arms and big tie rods will require a min of 3" of back spacing. I have run the bolt on adapters as big as 1.5" on a a cruiser front axle for comps only.

I've run 2" bs for ages.
Only real problem - on the trail if you clip the outer edge of the tyre on a rock/log etc, it will wrench the steering out of your hands.
Widened my axles, and changed bs and problem no longer occurs.

i got 1.5 spacers all around, check out ebay, i got them for $50 a pair

Kind of a misrepresented thread title. Your problem is more that you're running a "pudgier" tire with rims that are almost .3" closer than stock BS (which is nearly 3.35", not 3.625".. think metric, everything else on your truck is measured that way!).

The arms are designed to fit properly... just gotta get your spacing closer to what Toyota intended.

interestingly, I bet they'd clear if you ran a 15x10 rim...which I wouldn't...lol...but that may create enuf space for the sidewall since it would offset the entire tire 2" further out.

I run 1.5" spacers all around with 3.5" BS rim - no complaints. IMO, do them all around...while a 3" narrower rear may be helpful in some situations, it will be more stable with the wider track and it will help keep your rear tires tracking in the same "groove" as the fronts

Mini truck guys run spacers on the front axles all the time, usually 3/4 per side. Also, I had a 4" difference in width between my front and rear axles on my mini truck, front being wider and it dove fine on the street. If you look at most competition rock rigs, they are set up this way. It allows a tighter turning radius.

if you get spacers, cruise around you block with them before you hit the highway...if they aren't true, you'll find out real quick and that is scary deathwobble at 30mph...treeroot's spacers were not much more than a hair off and we almost flipped his cruiser :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom