4x4 labs rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Philly during the week,upstate NY or the Ventnor p
I recently ordered a 4x4 labs rear bumper w/dual swing outs and winch mount. My issue is I ordered it from Luke specifically detailing that I wanted the tire on the passenger side and the ladder w/dual Jerry can holder on the driver side.

Reason being ,the Jerry cans being on the same side as the gas tank for easy fuel transfer. Well,when I got the bumper,before I even unwrapped it I tore into the 80 (97 40th ).

Started the mounting process,put swing outs on,mounted and wired the winch(warn 8000) only to realize the longer arm of the swing outs designed to hold the tire was on the driver side.(WTF)

This bumper was like $3300. I went back and verified my emails with Luke that I ordered it correctly,which I did.

I also made him aware of the mix-up via email,in which he accepted the mistake and said he would do whatever to make me happy.

So I took it upon myself and decided to modify the swing outs. Mounting the tire on the passenger side, (on the short arm) having to re-drill one of the mounting holes to bring it in from blocking the tail light.

Then the same thing w/ the ladder/Jerry can holder,had to re-drill one hole to center it. This actually made it a lot easier to operate the latch.

Makes more sense to me to have the heavier tire on the shorter swing out. Anyone ? What I am really interested to know is peoples opinions as to what you would do about this mix-up.

Sending it back is just not an option. The bumper is awesome and constructed above and beyond...swing outs /shocks /latch mechanism,all are so well done.

My issue is I cant help but to feel a little taken ,seeing how I ordered it one way and it came another.

Even though I feel w/the mods I made,it actually works better for me. I am just looking for some other perspectives.

I am very happy,and love the bumper. Just interested to hear any thoughts/comments as to what you guys would do.

All comments are appreciated....
LC 80 004.jpg
LC 80 003.jpg
Audi S5 036.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good.:cool: Sounds like you solved your own problem. I don't know if I'd make an issue out of it.:meh:

The fact that he stated he would "do whatever to make it right" would probably be enough for me. Labs is just a small business providing some nice parts for a very limited market; I doubt they're getting rich or anything. Cut 'em some slack and go enjoy your new bumper.

Welcome:flipoff2:

I guess you can use it for one of those 'ill get you on the next one' type things.. I dont really know what else they have to offer, but maybe they will cut you a deal on another item or something along those lines?

Any problems with your fixes? If not I'd say it's no big deal. Looks great. Wish I could afford one.

I'd say you already took care of it. Next time you need something, order it from him and ask for a couple points off the total cost or free shipping or something but not so much you eat his entire profit. That would seem fair to me.

Maybe he listened to you an just forgot to tell you you'd have to drill a new hole? They look good ... If your not happy with it take it off and I guess I'll put it on my 80

I just bought one from Sean and he did a great job... mine was plain and I asked for a few extra things he normally does not do. He charged me a little extra but he had to use extra material. Great bumper in my opinion and if I were you, I would count my blessings each time I open the swing outs and the heavy tire is on the short side. :grinpimp:

Duh... it is Luke... I fell to the trap set in the first post. See what a shoulder surgery and perkacets do to a persons mind... :eek:

why did you put your trailer electrics there? sorry it just kind of defeats the purpose of a great departure angle bumper... If you are going to wheel it I would suggest looking at alternative locations for it.

Great looking bumper, BTW!

Welcome.. I am in Peekskill NY and venture down the pike to Wilmington De.. I can take it off your hands :meh::D

The bumper looks really nice on your 40th. I hope you spoke to Luke before the mods.. He is a solid guy to deal with. When it's time for the rear bumper, I will be ordering the same one.

Enjoy it..

Let it go. You should have talked to 4x4 Labs directly instead of posting this here. Running a small business is very hard to say the least. Mix ups happen.

Let it go. You should have talked to 4x4 Labs directly instead of posting this here. Running a small business is very hard to say the least. Mix ups happen.

^^^^ I agree.

About 5 years ago, I got a bumber from 4x4 labs, drove up to have it installed...

Ladder was incorrect (accidentally made to 60 dimensions) and, within about 3 hours, Luke had the thing re-cut, re-welded and re-powdercoated to make things perfect. Been awesome ever since.

Mistakes happen, 4x4 Labs makes it right. You can always delete this thread.

I would delete the thread.....doesn't really serve a purpose except to make you and the vendor look bad. You made the choice to keep the bumper when you started modifying it. Since he offered to make it right, you should have no complaints.

You can repost it showing how you modified it. Everyone will enjoy that post and people can benefit from your ingenious work. Your choice.

You did a great job on your mods. Enjoy the bumper! I am probably going to get one later this year.

Your right it is Luke...my bad...Duh is right... Once again I appreciate all the feed back and I am not trying in anyway shape or form to bad mouth 4x4 labs...the bumper is awesome ...and I am very happy w/it especially w/the mods I made to it...and I did contact them first and he tried at first to convince me to leave it the way he built it,saying it would block the rear view to much if the tire went on the P/S...yadda... yadda.. yadda.. He also said he would do whatever to make it right... It just seemed like way to much trouble for me to take it all off and send it back,so I made the mods and I think having the tire on the short arm makes more sense,it also provides more clearance to the latch... I was just looking for opinions as to what would you guys do in the situation...thats all..and also as a reference for anyone else ordering from them to make sure you verify what you want...mistakes happen and some times for good reason...I like the bumper more now because of the mix-up and mods to it.... Compared to some other products out there these guys at 4x4 labs build one hell of a bumper...the welds/the fitment/instructions/powder coat....etc... is very impressive to say the least.... I encourage anybody looking for a rear bumper w/ swing outs to buy one from these guys... As for the placement of the plug for the trailer lights ,its sort of temporary...until I can figure out a better place for it,w/out having to lay on the ground to plug in... Thanks again for all the feedback .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom