4X4 Labs Rear Bumper - Single Swingout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Flank

American by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.
Threads
Website
www.staltimber.com
I've just finished my 4x4 labs bumper build, got the spindle installed but was going to fab my own swingout configuration in lieu of buying the kit.

I've only seen pictures of double swing-outs with this bumper, no singles - Anybody hooked up a single arm - how did you do the latch point - looking for ideas.
photo.JPG

So no one gas fixed up a single swing out, huh?

I was curious as well.

Mine:D
4x4 001.jpg
4x4 002.jpg
4x4 003.jpg

Any more?

And do any of y'all regret doing a single?

I think jcardona has a single swingout with a double latch. may want to check out his bumper thread.

I am about to do the same thing. I like the single swing out, but do not like the full length ones. There is a build thread I think it is called the "red lobster" build who made a single swing out that I like. I am going to try and copy his just like the picture below, but probably not as long and tire not as high.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/red-lobster-build.806450/page-3

I used the single swing out kit from Luke. I Shortened the arm and mounted the tire on the drivers side. I tried to come up with a mount for the hook on the latch that I wouldn't step on when standing on the bumper. I used a rubber suspension bump stop from the auto parts store to hold up the end when its clamped down. So far this has worked out well. I like the shorter arm. I had the longer arm on my 62 and didn't like having to step around it when I opened it and the room behind me required to get it open. Not planning on carrying anything else on the rear bumper and good visibility out the back window. I pack my cooler and tools on the passenger side to balance out the weight. No regrets on the single.
IMG_0999-1.jpg
IMG_1001-1.jpg
IMG_1002-1.jpg

gcorduan, that is exactly what I am planning, same length too. Thanks!

I think jcardona has a single swingout with a double latch. may want to check out his bumper thread.
His is really nice but kind of funky due to him changing from a swing down spare to swing out. It's really beefy but a lot differently done then if it was always going to be a swing out. Thanks.

That shorty looks nice but I need a ladder too.

If you want a ladder then I would probably go with dual swing arms. The full length arm is a pain.

this is a close up of how i made my latch work with the curvature of the labs shell...

I used two pieces of 1/4" plate and made them into a hook shape and then grinded them to match the labs contour. It works really well set up like this and i haven't had a problem with it so far.

this is a close up of how i made my latch work with the curvature of the labs shell...

I used two pieces of 1/4" plate and made them into a hook shape and then grinded them to match the labs contour. It works really well set up like this and i haven't had a problem with it so far.
Where did you get that white plastic piece & what's the dimensions of it? TIA

Where did you get that white plastic piece & what's the dimensions of it? TIA

I got it off eBay. It's just a 1/2" thick HDPE cutting board I cut down to fit. The only real dimension that matters is the thickness of it. That will end up being the space between the bumper and bottom of the swing arm. I think it comes it 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4"

Besides the leverage one thing to consider with single long swing arm is needing the room behind the truck to swing it open .
Long ago I built a single full length arm on my 55. I was out rebuilding a long abandoned trail . I had dropped into a washed out section and tried climbing out the other side. I busted a birfield but had to keep trying. With air lockers and 35" swampers I still had one front digging.
Then the second birfield went. I hooked up the 8274 and started pulling while driving in 2WD low then the winch cable snapped. The perfect storm I was pointing uphill pretty sharp and my rear bumper was in the dirt. I couldn't back up in 2WD . I couldn't swing the 50" arm open enough to drop the tailgate and all my tools were in the sliding drawers.Of course i was alone. It was a 5 mile hike to the pavement where I could get a ride to town and get a friend with a 40 to winch me out. Now I always build with a two arm setup. I try to keep the longest arm 30ish or less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom