4x4 Labs Rear Bumper Review - FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have had my 4x4 Labs bumper for 2 years now, and unfortunately I have been pretty unlucky with mine.

Within 8 months my bumper was rusting pretty badly. The powdercoat finish was failing all over and large panels were peeling off. I contacted Luke and he was willing to work with me a bit on it - and requested I shipped the bumper back to have it refinished and such in his shop. For me, that wouldn't work. The cost in shipping both ways and giving back to the shop that provided the original finish seemed like a silly solution and a lot of cost out of my pocket. Luke and I discussed an arrangement of me taking care of it locally and receiving a bit of money from him to have it done, although the amount was not sufficient to come close to covering my costs.

I am yet to take care of the issue as I have been driving the truck around as my daily as I work as a Project Manager in Construction and its a great work truck.

The most frustrating thing about the bumper is the noise that it makes. There is an incredible amount of rattle, from the side panels flexing under the weight of my 5th wheel being hooked on the back.

*SEE BELOW UPDATE*

The noise is generated from the tension of the bumper being pressed underneath my rear quarter panels. When I go over a bump, the rear wheel shakes and flexes the entirety of the quarter rear panels of the bumper, causing the rear quarter panel protectors to flex off and then slam back into my rear quarter panels due to the sprung tension. Its really frustrating that the bumper seems to be under-engineered/under-constructed for the size/weight of the wheel and tire. I have VOLK Rays wheels which weight 16 lbs and a 33" tire.

I am not sure I will purchase again from 4x4 Labs. Luke was great to work in our correspondence, but it was very delayed in production, and I feel that I could've gotten a better final product for the $2700 that the bumper cost with my options. Sharing my experience so that others can use my experience when making their decision.
I am not sure I will purchase again from 4x4 Labs. Luke was great to work in our correspondence, but it was very delayed in production, and I feel that I could've gotten a better final product for the $2700 that the bumper cost with my options. Sharing my experience so that others can use my experience when making their decision.

I will say it seems like many folks are extremely pleased with the outcome of their bumpers, and I may have just gotten really unlucky with my experience.

so its not like I have an anchor strapped on back there.

*UPDATE:

My bumper was shipped prebuilt, and did not come with the Z clips. I have reached out to Luke at 4x4 Labs to get the correct piece from him.

Can't post pictures from my work computer. I'll get them up tonight.

Last edited:
If I’m reading right, when going over bumps, your tire carrier flexes the entire bumper until the quarter panel guards bend into the body?

If I’m reading right, when going over bumps, your tire carrier flexes the entire bumper until the quarter panel guards bend into the body?

it’s actually the opposite. The quarter panel protectors are designed to be tight against the bottom of the quarter panels. The weight/force of the tire moving, creates flex that pulls the protector off the panel, and the tension then snaps it back in place against the quarter panel.

I will take pictures to explain ... sorry it’s confusing.

You could pull the bumper off and send it out for hot dip galvanizing and then have it painted with some epoxy when you get it back. That should help protect it for the next 40 years or so.

This is literally one of the few, if not only, complaints I have seen for a integrity of the 4x4 labs rear bumper. I have both his 80 and 60 rear bumper and absolute love it and they are rock solid with no noises or vibrations. I just installed my 60 one so I don’t have too much experience with it but my 80 one has seen lots of miles and has been beat on several times.

That being said, I have seen several people complain about the powder coating. Seems it can be a bit hit or miss.

Pictures required. Took me a while to get past 5th wheel, until I realized you were talking
about your spare. I’m curious to see it. I have a question, is the mounting bracket a
solid piece or is it a formed bracket?

Here’s the inside of mine where tire rack attaches.
I would love for the OP to swing out his tire carrier and see if he can flex it while shooting a video.

A7522C3C-5043-4326-B578-FE22B0444F04.jpeg

I’m working on a “special” version of this that has QP protection but the “wings” are much more low profile.... could the upper wings be the culprit?

502B82F6-1F2D-49AA-B907-41E76FD01048.jpeg

FE0469BE-33C8-4558-A49C-69FAE71D6563.jpeg

5267B480-792D-499B-800C-EFB81B5A4AB2.jpeg

3496E005-0B75-475D-B7DD-1DAD9120AD0C.jpeg

1B4D1E18-C948-443F-ACCE-92EA478A553D.jpeg

I’ll post a video this afternoon .. here are pictures of where it rattles/slams into the body panels.

FC8195A1-6F87-4B8E-9430-FE069DFB21B1.jpeg

BBDAB9B7-C685-497B-97E0-BA62B110B1A0.jpeg

B72232E5-065C-432B-AD21-755323F59E0A.jpeg

Sorry - posted from iPhone so I couldn’t rotate the images.

Here’s the inside of mine where tire rack attaches.
I would love for the OP to swing out his tire carrier and see if he can flex it while shooting a video.

View attachment 2238499

It’s not about this flexing, the tire flexes up top of the hanger which causes the quarter panel to drop, and lift back up from the tension.

Do you have the angled bracket that attaches from the body mount to the wing? my brother has a 4x4labs that I welded together and it has never had any issue of the wing moving. Granted I built his and he never tows anything, but tossing a trailer on a 60 with C chanel frame doesn't really sound like a good idea to me (depending on the weight you're towing). The 60 series labs bumper wings are so long that it needs the angled bracket or it'll definitely make contact with the quarter panel. The powder coat is an issue that has been brought up a ton in the 80 section. I'm pretty sure the shop that did the powder didn't do it right so everyone has issues. My suggestion is to just take the bumper off and get it to a shop close by you and forget about Luke helping out on that one. They should charge like $200-250 out the door with blasting or just blast and use some krylon satin black spray.

Here's a few photos of the space between the quarter panel and bumper wing (yours looks closer probably due to the wing moving up and down so much) also you can see the angled bracket in the wheel well.

Here is the side view. zoom in you'll see about 3" back from the bottom edge of the wing there is a bolt head. That is where there the body mount brake sits.

Take a underside shot of the bottom edge of the wing because that's what were missing here

Take a look at step 8. It uses the body mount shown in my photo which allows the rubber to serve as a cushion.

Take a look at step 8. It uses the body mount shown in my photo which allows the rubber to serve as a cushion.

I ordered mine prebuilt - but I definitely don’t remember those pieces being included. I’ll need to apologize to Luke for my post regarding the noise, while requesting those suckers.

Here they are mounted up - I had to use some nylon spacers to push the wings down a bit (the bottom of the wings rubbed slightly on the quarter panel pinch welds). Came with the bumper (prebuilt)

Bummer on your powdercoating.

603C7D2C-EC3A-4242-BC58-FBD8EF81DB82.jpeg

ABA313BF-E4B4-4682-A231-F3D81CBFB7F9.jpeg

Chances are if you email Luke he’ll just ship them to you. He’s a really chill guy from the times I’ve gotten in touch with him

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom