4x4 Labs Rear Bumper question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm deciding between two rear bumpers but I had a question about the one from 4x4 labs as I didn't really get a straight answer out of them. I'm not offended as I know they're busy.

Thing is, I need to mount my Hi-lift, but they have no photos on their page of the bumper with any gear on it, and everything I search on here and on Google in general shows the lift in like 3 different places. The question is, where/how in the hell does one mount the hi-lift on their bumper? Does one of you have the time to show your boy a quick photo of where it's placed and how it attaches?

Further, I'd love to know just how far the upright for the tire mount stands off the tailgate and how wide that square tube is. If you can tell me that I can figure out how far my tire is going to stick out and if the damn thing will fit in the garage. :)

For the curious minds out there, the other contender is Trail Tailor. Jason has done beautiful work on my roof rack (my rig is the first photo on his custom rack page) and I'm a big fan of the quality of stuff I've gotten from him in the past. Just trying to do my due diligence here.

Thanks!

DA89B8D1-CF60-4743-8DBF-ADB4A28C6A08.jpeg
7D5F8EB2-B39E-4742-AE21-E9E7CB9CBCD9.jpeg

Love mt 4x4 labs bumper. The tire carrier has the hi lift mount behind the spare tire.

Trail Tailor makes good stuff. I think either one would be good. I am not home so I cannot comment on the measurements you are asking.

I've used the heck out of my TT bumper. It's piece of mind when easing off of a ledge. It's beefy. Jason would likely build your swing outs to your specs, after all he didn't call it Trail Taylor for nothing.

You don't want to carry a heavy hi-lift jack dangling (or securely fastened) on the rear bumper. It belongs on the floor behind the front seats. The rear of the cruiser and everything else back there gets coated with trail dust. The hi-lift (which may someday save your cruiser) deserves more care than to be banished to the ass of vehicle. Also since its relatively heavy, bringing it up forward and low will do your suspension a favor. Also once it's kept in the cab — it won't rust.

Went through similar questions last year before I bought mine, JD's response was:
If you have a 3-can carrier with or without a ladder, or a cooler basket, the high lift is mounted to a stud sticking out the back of the tire mount. (no room to mount the high lift between basket/ladder and tire)
If you have a ladder without a carrier the high lift can be mounted to a bracket welded to the inboard side of the ladder.

Photos incoming.

Ladder mounted:

A2FF733A-95E7-46F2-8751-B93FB27EBA3C.jpeg

Bracket behind spare:

1139E8DA-644A-43F1-9494-28166D7FD21B.jpeg

Carrier arm is about 12" off the back of the cruiser:

7081C923-5893-47D3-A510-F3E1706FC046.jpeg

OEM steelies with 33x10.5 is about 17.5" off the back:

4FF0C570-8AE1-4ABB-A880-887EF30F7D06.jpeg

Entire assembly height:

2F9B40DA-04CF-4EC3-9F5A-147514C35C1F.jpeg

You don't want to carry a heavy hi-lift jack dangling (or securely fastened) on the rear bumper. It belongs on the floor behind the front seats. The rear of the cruiser and everything else back there gets coated with trail dust. The hi-lift (which may someday save your cruiser) deserves more care than to be banished to the ass of vehicle. Also since its relatively heavy, bringing it up forward and low will do your suspension a favor. Also once it's kept in the cab — it won't rust.
one can also be stored under the rear seat, if you are hauling passengers. I replaced the bolt that holds the foot pad with a hitch pin so I can remove the foot easily, but I don't think this is necessary to store the jack under the seat. I also have a mount on the 2 can holder--but this is one of the last bumpers Luke made before he went to his modular component design.

1599082273028.png

I like this line of thought. Has anyone whipped up a bracket to use that could be bolted to the rear seat mounts?

I like this line of thought. Has anyone whipped up a bracket to use that could be bolted to the rear seat mounts?

Get outta my head. I too really like this thinking and am now kinda mad I’ve had it clamped to my front bumper for so long. It...it’s looked better. Now I’m less worried about where it hooks to the rear bumper as I need to figure out an inside solution.

I love this forum. Thanks everyone!

One issue with putting it inside under the seat or behind the front seats is that I don't think the longest one will fit. I have the 48" length that that does fit.

Ladder mounted:

OEM steelies with 33x10.5 is about 17.5" off the back:

Entire assembly height:

View attachment 2424334

This is a huge help though with all the amazing measurements (which seriously are very helpful) you're missing the one I need. :)

In this last photo I really need from the tailgate straight back to the upright post for the tire carrier and the thickness of that upright OR from the tailgate to the post and include the thickness of the post in your measurement. As we don't have the same tires/wheels for this to be accurate for me I have to then add the thickness of my entire tire as if it was pressed up against that post to get my total stickoutedness (that's a technical term) from the tailgate. Any chance you can nab that quickly? It honestly shouldn't be all that much shorter than 12".

One issue with putting it inside under the seat or behind the front seats is that I don't think the longest one will fit. I have the 48" length that that does fit.

Hmm, true. I have the big boy as well. Gonna have to get out the tape measure. Maybe I can figure out a mount coming off the floorplan, along the rear quarterpanel, and just over wheel well that wouldn't take much room.

This is a huge help though with all the amazing measurements (which seriously are very helpful) you're missing the one I need. :)

In this last photo I really need from the tailgate straight back to the upright post for the tire carrier and the thickness of that upright OR from the tailgate to the post and include the thickness of the post in your measurement. As we don't have the same tires/wheels for this to be accurate for me I have to then add the thickness of my entire tire as if it was pressed up against that post to get my total stickoutedness (that's a technical term) from the tailgate. Any chance you can nab that quickly? It honestly shouldn't be all that much shorter than 12".
This one?
64F94B47-8EEF-4C9A-A687-9B80D214324F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom