4x4 Labs rear 60 Bumper Install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ADD751CF-17A6-4642-9DD8-35B9833D2042.jpeg
9CD66863-31DA-4ADB-BF69-AC858C37F0DE.jpeg
I bought a used 4x4 Labs rear bumper from another member along with my 60 and had it powder coated. I’m getting started with the install and have a couple of questions I’ve not been able to find answers to searching the form here. Let me know if you can answer them. I can’t wait to get this on!

1. I’ve removed the stock chrome bumper and the side supports, but need to know where to cut the crossmember. Can someone post a picture or describe where to make the cuts?

2. The metal “blocks”, for lack of a better word, that come with the bumper that attach to the frame and slide through the bumper when you put it on,- how are these mounted to the frame? Too? Bottoms? Inside the frame or outside the frame? I want to know where these go before doing any more grinding, drilling, or cutting.

Thanks!

Pis for attention.

Be aware that when you cut the rear crossmember the frame is gonna spread. That thing keeps it together and parallel.
I removed mine by using a cold chisel and a 8lb sledge and wacking the tops off the rivets that hold the cross member in.
It's a tough, but therapeutic job. Wear gloves! LOL!
I also kept my trailer hitch on, which bolts to the bottom of the frame rails and that kept the frame in postition when
the crossmember came off. It's not like they spring all apart and crooked, but they do move.

Luke installed my bumper while I watched. This was circa 2005. For that install he burned out the rivets with a plasma cutter and removed the whole rear cross member. IIRC, the bumper uses some or all of the cross member rivet holes for mounting bolts. The best thing to do would be to look at your bumper and see how it's going to bolt up to the frame. Then decide from there.

I left the crossmember riveted to the frame and sawzalled it off as close to the frame rails as I could get.
Cruiserpilot is correct in the frame rails move when the member is removed...I used a come-along to hold the frame in place long enough to get the bumper started.
Not sure about your blocks...don't think mine (2019 install) used any.

C32CF922-7EA0-4CBD-A23C-084B4273C584.png

922EE318-216E-4568-993F-E01DFB699179.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom