4x4 labs bumper question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, just picked up a 2004 lx with a rear swing out bumper. Previous owner told me it was a 4x4 labs, but looking through threads and their website, I don’t see close up on the attachment points. The problem I am having is that the Dual swing Out is held in with pins, and the pins aren’t tight so the bumper rattles like crazy and makes the rear window vibrate visibly. Most rear bumpers have large latch holding each section on or one holding the two sides together. Here’s some pics of the pins currently on there. Any ideas how I can lock this thing in tightly?

B13434A7-0B6D-4F3B-8F29-F6C059FF899D.jpeg

020AE55E-17F3-482F-BDB4-3F4B61AEE7C7.jpeg

Hmm. It looks like it was made to use the pins only, vertical latches wouldn’t work since the bottom of the bumper isn’t flush, and the large 7500 capacity Gibraltar latch that goes horizontal would need some fab work to attach it. I don’t get this design... I’m sure it had less play when new but the amount of play there is now makes the vehicle so loud with all the vibration it causes.

You just need to make sure the arm is supported on the bottom by some sort of pad. Plastic, aluminum, bronze, steel, whatever. You do not want the arm holding itself up on the pivot that puts lots of stress on it. When the swing arm closes it should ride closely/tightly across the top of the pad. When the clamp is closed it should pull the arm firmly onto the pad. That assumes you attach a new clamp that clamps vertically (pulling the arm down onto the pad). That should do ya.

BTW I don’t own a swing out but that’s my understanding and experience with similar things. I’m cool with being corrected if wrong.

You just need to make sure the arm is supported on the bottom by some sort of pad. Plastic, aluminum, bronze, steel, whatever. You do not want the arm holding itself up on the pivot that puts lots of stress on it. When the swing arm closes it should ride closely/tightly across the top of the pad. When the clamp is closed it should pull the arm firmly onto the pad. That assumes you attach a new clamp that clamps vertically (pulling the arm down onto the pad). That should do ya.

BTW I don’t own a swing out but that’s my understanding and experience with similar things. I’m cool with being corrected if wrong.

yep I totally agree. The way it is now its hard to believe the bumper came like this. Maybe a 1st gen version or something, or could be one of those kits that ship in pieces and the po fabbed it up this way. I will see if I can put some something under the swings to support it.

Do some more investigating, where's the range of motion? Has the hole wallowed out a little and the pin is moving around in there? Maybe drill it out and drop in a bushing that's the pin size.

it seems like the hole is possibly getting worn, but the pins are definitely about 1/16th smaller than the diameter of the hole.It wobbles back and forth a good half inch.

I’ll try both suggestions!

yep I totally agree. The way it is now its hard to believe the bumper came like this. Maybe a 1st gen version or something, or could be one of those kits that ship in pieces and the po fabbed it up this way. I will see if I can put some something under the swings to support it.

I used a block of delrin. Years later it's as good as new and does the job.

I used a block of delrin. Years later it's as good as new and does the job.
I’m a derlin fanboy myself. That stuff is surprisingly useful.

Well I reached out to Luke over at 4X4 labs and he confirmed that it is his bumper But not his swing outs. In his words, “this would be messy to fix.”

lol looks like I gotta find someone in San Diego who can fab something up that will be a solid fix. Any recommendations?

Well I reached out to Luke over at 4X4 labs and he confirmed that it is his bumper But not his swing outs. In his words, “this would be messy to fix.”

lol looks like I gotta find someone in San Diego who can fab something up that will be a solid fix. Any recommendations?

Yeah that definitely looks custom. If those are the same spindles that 4x4 labs uses then best thing to do would be to just buy new built arms from 4x4 Labs and start all over. You would have to get a local shop to design a stop though.

81A2720E-8C45-4104-8DB4-709435CDAAA0.jpeg

This was the fix. So whoever built this reversed the Swing out arms and Used really thin steel for the swing outs presumably to save weight. They also didn’t add the interior bracing on the sides of the bumper so it is a little flexy. Aside from building all new swing outs and re powder coating, this was the best solution. They added Delron for the swing outs to rest on and the latches. Now it’s a 4 step process for opening the tailgate... big pita to get in there. At least it holds my high lift and gives me a place for my trail trash bag :) And looks like I’m ready to go froadin when I cruise to chili’s on a Friday night
C6AFE742-4212-4277-AD4B-40F38A2369BD.jpeg

I love my 4x4 labs bumper. I've never seen one of Luke's bumpers with this style latch. Maybe an early version? Luke's current latch is $125 and a serious latch it is.

15986154328793109017984458351847.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom