4wheel underground 3Link Build (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few measurements to go with the pics...hope they make sense.

Ride Height
1) Ground to center of hub = 18 1/2"
2) Pan hard to frame, top of notch = 4"
3) Bumpstop pad to frame (not notched portion) = 5 1/2"
4) Bumpstop pad to refernce bolt in fender well = 19 1/2"

Double Stuff (means axle shoved straight up)
1) Ground to center of hub = 21"
2) Pan hard to frame, top of notch = 1 1/2"
3) Bumpstop pad to frame (not notched portion) = 3"
4) Bumpstop pad to refernce bolt in fender well = 16 3/4"

Passenger Stuff
1) Ground to center of hub = 28"
2) Pan hard to frame, top of notch = 1/16"
3) Bumpstop pad to frame (not notched portion) = 4"
4) Bumpstop pad to refernce bolt in fender well = 17"

Driver Stuff
1) Ground to center of hub = 29"
2) N/A
3) Bumpstop pad to frame (not notched portion) = 3"
4) N/A

Even though the numbers I posted looked good, there was still soem room for improvement. After discussing it with Brian, we decided to drill a new hole in the axle side upper link bracket to lower the upper link an inch and get more straight double stuff. I also cut about 3/16" off the bottom of the frame side upper link mount and lowered it to the furthest front and inboarded point...Results are:

1) Ground to hub on double stuff = 22 1/4 (1 1/4" gain)
2) Bump pad to frame = 2" ( 1" gain)

I think I have now squezed every last inch out of this thing...
Lower Link at Double Stuff (New).JPG
Upper LInk Axle Side.JPG
Double Stuff Upper Link.JPG

.....drill a new hole in the axle side upper link bracket to lower the upper link an inch and get more straight double stuff. I also cut about 3/16" off the bottom of the frame side upper link mount and lowered it to the furthest front and inboarded point...Results are:

1) Ground to hub on double stuff = 22 1/4 (1 1/4" gain)
2) Bump pad to frame = 2" ( 1" gain)

I think I have now squezed every last inch out of this thing...

I'm curious - what does your pinion angle looks like now after drilling the axle side upper link bracket?

attachment.php

Exactly like Oreo's! Surprised it took so long for someone to point it out.:)

Well, one thing I think I finally figured out today is that there is very very little space under a 4runner. Literally, evey inch of travel adn placement is used up. If I moved any one thing more than 1/4 of an inch, it would cause something else to make contact in a less than ideal way.

Once again, super Brian stepped up and helped get a few kinks ironed out. After a long day, here is where we are, the frame is re-enforced above the notch with a piece of 2 1/2" .250 wall square tube. The shocks are positioned and hoops are bent and tacked in place. I need to make shock tabs that look like upside down banana's. In the end, the shock hoop did not have to go inside the fender which is awesome becasue I don't really have fenders so having inner fenders keeps Johnny law at bay.
Shock stuffed.JPG
shock drooped.JPG
frame brace.JPG

Only one spring on the passenger side for compressed placement fitting only. I will add the other spring soon enough.

Chop Shop - I had my doubts about the WARN hubs myself, but they have been on there for the last 3-4 years, gone on many trips and never had an issue. I have been on trips where guys have exploded thier asins, but so far so good. With that said though, I will go with asins when the time comes.

post #51, picture 1:
I'm envisioning tires on those hubs, stuffed.
This is gonna be such a cool finished product!

Chop Shop - I had my doubts about the WARN hubs myself, but they have been on there for the last 3-4 years, gone on many trips and never had an issue. I have been on trips where guys have exploded thier asins, but so far so good. With that said though, I will go with asins when the time comes.

Dont kid yourself. Aisins only break the inner gear, not "blow up". Aisins only break if you have LONGS and stock nub gears and are an aggressive driver.

Warns BLOW UP with stock birfs. Yes blow up as in shoot off the truck.

The first thing I ever broke on a toyota (before a birf or j arm) was a warn hub.

Junk, just put a warn on a scale and then a aisin and you will see there is allot more metal inside the aisin.

Just remember if ya wait till they are in chuinks then ya cant even sell them to help buy aisins.

Aisin hubs are getting expensive and hard to find.

The two easiest ways to get them are............

1.. buy a complete solid front axle with aisin hubs and swap them with your warns and put the axle back on CraigsList. Done - free.

2.. buy some cheap 86-up ifs aisins and then buy Bobby's chromo hub gears to convert an ifs hub to SA splines. Then you get a bulletproof hub setup for about what folks ask for a set of used SA aisins.

^Isn't that what a pair of spare drive flanges and a spare hub are for? :lol:
(Can't find the pic of mine or Roger's at this moment.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom