4wheel drive? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there folks,
I've got a 12/73 fj40. Its a 3 speed. I have been driving it lately (i use it for plowing) and cant tell if there is a problem with the tranny, clutch, or the locking hubs. Also, the smaller shifter on the floor(not sure of the name of the shifter), but could someone explain the positions of this. There is some what of a diagram on the glove box but its not that readable!! It feels like it can go left, right, up and down. My point/question is sometimes I'm not sure if i'm in 4 or 2 wheel drive. I have the hubs locked in the correct position. also, sometimes even with the clutch depressed, it feels like its still in gear (hard to shift). I'm just not sure. any ideas. thanks!!

here ya go :)
gloveboxplate3spd.jpg

Your transmission isn't synchromeshed, in other words, it clashes if you are trying to downshift and haven't stopped. Might be a problem with your slave cylinder - get a manual, I suggest Haynes, and take a look. The little lever is your transfercase lever, and the 4x4 is straight down from 4x2, and to get to low range you need to move it right, where it'll wiggle a bit in N (neutral), then it needs to be moved to the right, almost the full lower right corner. When you shift to low range, be completely stopped, otherwise it will grind. Shifting from 2WD to 4WD or back can be done in motion, I hit the clutch, then move the lever to whichever position I want it in. Good luck!:cheers:

Yeah, factory service manual before all else. I have the Haynes and the Chilton, and I've found they go good together, but if given the choice would choose the Haynes above Chilton. It takes some playing around with, so go out and have fun with it!

Get the FSMs and use the Haynes and Chilton books for kindling in the fireplace... or maybe bum-fodder in the outhouse... ;)

mine won't always shift 2h to 4h if it's stopped, just get it barely moving, clutch and shift the t-case and it works fine, if you are not sure if you're in 2 or 4 wheel drive, make sure the hubs are locked, then spin the tires a bit in reverse in the snow, if snow is thrown up in front of the truck, it's in 4 (might not be so visible without swampers, but you could also get out and look for ruts at the front of the truck.)
-s

also with regards to it feeling like it's still in gear, even with the clutch engaged, if I understand what you mean it is a wear thing (clutch runout?) and happens f'rinstance when you put the clutch in with the truck in neutral, then try to put it into first right away, or from reverse to first, grindy noise. I believe the solution is to either wait a few seconds between shifts, or rebuild something expensive, I have been on the wait a few seconds program since I bought my 40, hasn't gotten worse, then again I don't plow snow, I suppose it would be a bit more annoying then.
-s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom