4wheel drive issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok here is my setup and my problem.

1986 FJ 60, 5.7 Vortec engine, Yota 5speed, Yota TC. Auburn LSD in the front and rear differential. Totally rebulit rear axle assembly (bearing seals...etc). Longfield axles up front with all new bearings, seals etc. Right now 31*10.5*15 BFG AT tires.

Auburn LSD have been installed for about 3 or 4 months. Previously I've had wheel drive working. Green light at the dash, power to the front as well to the back. I've not have issues with the rear axle. Power seems to be applied to both rear tires fine. A few weeks ago I dirive off road in 4wheel drive about 2 or 3 hours with no problems.

Yesterday with the guys at the run at Skyline I get on the trail and I have no front tires turning under power in 4hweel drive (hi or low makes no difference). Front drive shaft is turning... front tires not turning under power. Rear tires fine.

Get home. Take large chain and tie truck to stationary object and put truck under load in 4wheel drive. Rear tires pulling, front tires not pulling. Front drive shaft is turning, hubs locked.

Pull passenger front hub all the way down...removed birf all checks out. Pull drivers side hub, it checks out. Put trasfer case in neutral, engine off, front on jack stands.. Manaully turn axle at drivers side and front drive shaft turns, manually turn axle at passenger side and drive shaft does not turn. All seals and snap rings etc in place. Put all back together and bled brakes.

Back out to place truck under load in 4 wheel drive. Lock hubs...friend hears hubs lock when truck comes under load in 4wheel drive. Once again...under load no power to front axles, but front drive shaft is turning. Rear tires powered front tires not powered. Leads me to believe that the Auburn LSD in the front is not working or is broken (no funny noises or anything). Both rear tires pull under load and keep digging. Front tires do nothing while front drive shaft spins.

I guess it may be time to go with an Aussie Locker in the front or a power traxx locker. I had previously removed a power traxx locker from the rear as I got tired of the ratcheting action on the pavement and the near requirement to have the clutch depressed while in slow speed turns on pavement. Well the Auburn LSD in the rear made the truck a lot more friendly on the pavement and seem to work reasonablly well in the rear axle as described above under load. Can't say the same for the front axle.

I do know the power traxx unit was well made and a quality product. it performs very well.

Ok so now I'm tired of the front axle screwing up. Looking for a final solution for the front. If the Auburn LSD would work I'm ok with that but I don't want to take it out and put it back in to have it screw up again (don't know the reputation of the auburn products that well). Should I go with a power trax no slip locker or an aussie locker for the front differential. I can certainly vouch for the power traxx quality and I see where a lot of people seem to like the aussie lockers?

Anyone have suggestons on my problem above or confirm that you think its the LSD? I don't know off hand what else it could be, as we verfied the locking hubs action, we have the front drive shaft under power, I have no broken parts that I can see, other than what appears to be an LSD unit that's not working right (in the front differential).

Looks like we found the problem. In screwing around with it today....had same issue.... got to looking at the passenger side Birfield Axle and compared it to the old axles we removed (stock vs. longfields)... discovered that the passenger side inside axle was some 2.5 inches shorter than it should have been. I'm told that we got an inner axle designed for a pickup rather than the 60 that I ordered. TMP fix was to re-install old axle until new replacement shows up. What a deal (I guess we should have caught that previously but we assumed the parts were right). 4wheel drive works now. I'll run the auburn LSDs as long as they work...maybe later will go with ARB lockers if I have the $$. Boy did we waste a lot of time screwing around with this issue. Guess I've not had any real luck on the swap....had some engine issues initallys, then PCM programming issues, rear heater core problem and then the front differential.

Long said they would send out a replacement axle to make it right... For now I'll run the OEM stock axle. Some times your @$$ gets chapped for trying to improve your truck...

update... Long sent out a replacement axle (no questions asked) and return shipping too. So even though its caused me some aggrivation I think I was treated fairly by the vendor. Got everything back together and 4 wheel drive works :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom