4wd shifter wont shift from 4hi to neutral (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a 1977 fj40 and am trying to get to know it. Initially 4wd shifter was immobile but read another thread and was able to shift from 2hi to 4hi with truck moving. Now trying to get it to shift from 4hi to neutral but it wont shift to the right. Any thoughts? Thanks

Just bought a 1977 fj40 and am trying to get to know it. Initially 4wd shifter was immobile but read another thread and was able to shift from 2hi to 4hi with truck moving. Now trying to get it to shift from 4hi to neutral but it wont shift to the right. Any thoughts? Thanks
Pull back to 4 hi. (Front to back is what moves the shift rail that engages/disengages the front output)
Then push to right. This is what moves the shift collar in the transfer case between Hi-Neutral-Low.
Try doing the same thing as you did from 2hi to 4 hi, rocking the truck back and forth until you get it to pop out. Maybe even try it with the truck not running and if all of that fails you could crawl underneath and try moving the selector by hand with the truck off.

Pull back to 4 hi. (Front to back is what moves the shift rail that engages/disengages the front output)
Then push to right. This is what moves the shift collar in the transfer case between Hi-Neutral-Low.
Try doing the same thing as you did from 2hi to 4 hi, rocking the truck back and forth until you get it to pop out. Maybe even try it with the truck not running and if all of that fails you could crawl underneath and try moving the selector by hand with the truck off.
Awesome. Thanks!

Mine gets stuck like this from time to time. Try putting it in reverse and backup a few feet then go forward a few feet. This usually relieves any tension and allows the shifter to move freely.

Thanks...how does the boot come off?

Just remove the three bolts holding the metal ring to the hump. Both the leather and runner boot should slide up and off the transfer case shift lever. Off course the knob needs to be removed first.

Mine gets stuck like this from time to time. Try putting it in reverse and backup a few feet then go forward a few feet. This usually relieves any tension and allows the shifter to move freely.

I also like to drive back and forth with the wheels straight so driveshafts are moving at the same speed.

This is what it looks like when removed. I had a similar issue before and it was in fact the shift gate like others have mentioned. I'm not sure why but it got in the way of shifting to L4 with any ease. I could really crank on it and it would go but it wasn't until later when I pulled it all and rebuilt tranny that I noticed it was blocking it from shifting properly. I shaved a little bit off and badda boom badda bing it works much better.

Note: with shift gate removed(or accidentally not re-installed in my case) your t-case will allow you to shift into L2 (ie rear wheel drive in low gear) which some might have an opinion one way or another. I just threw it back on figuring it was there for a reason.

1599866833780.png

another pic for reference.
1599867231873.png

Awesome. Thanks!
[/QUOTE
This is what it looks like when removed. I had a similar issue before and it was in fact the shift gate like others have mentioned. I'm not sure why but it got in the way of shifting to L4 with any ease. I could really crank on it and it would go but it wasn't until later when I pulled it all and rebuilt tranny that I noticed it was blocking it from shifting properly. I shaved a little bit off and badda boom badda bing it works much better.

Note: with shift gate removed(or accidentally not re-installed in my case) your t-case will allow you to shift into L2 (ie rear wheel drive in low gear) which some might have an opinion one way or another. I just threw it back on figuring it was there for a reason.

View attachment 2432869

another pic for reference.
View attachment 2432878
wow. Great response. Im on it! Thanks for your effort!

wow. Great response. Im on it! Thanks for your effort!

This one has the shift gate missing which is what is in question could be preventing the or from going into neutral and low range. If goes from the end of the shaft off the transmission then up to the transmission. What it does is better viewed from the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom