4wd POPS OUT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dereksvoice.com
This started last winter in the snow and I ignored it. However, this last weekend, I was driving on mountain roads and the 4wd gearshift will pop out of 4-hi when things get minimally turbulent. I can reach down and shift it back in with no problem. What gives?

I had the same exact problem in my 87 and it was the detent balls and springs in the housing at the shift forks. That fixed mine anyhow.

HTH

May also want to look at your engine mounts sometimes they will allow the engine to "rock" & cause the shiffter to come out of gear.

How hard is it to replace (or repair?) the detent balls and springs? Can you do it with the t-case on the vehicle, or do you have to drop it?

same thing happened to my '87...i had to get my transfercase rebuilt. $1800...OUCH! -other sean

Although I'd suspect motor mount,

the detent ball & spring can be address while tranny/xfer are 'in place'
Follow where 4x , 2x shaft slides, you'll see a large dia, but skinny bolt head; that 's it.

Easy test: engine off, foot depressing clutch pedel.
can ya move in & out of 4x using one finger ?
did ya feel the ball-detent resistance 'give' ?

Also, when driving, watch gear shift lever ( esp when starting in first gear, firmly!)
do ya the the shift level swing to the passanger ?
If yes, motor mount time...

Polar:

I have motor/tranny mount issues as well. My shift levers rock way too much when offroad and my fan rocks up and hits the shroud. If you attack yours, let me know, and if I get to mine first I'll shoot you a PM with what I found, what I broke trying to fix it, and how many cuss words it takes to put a new mount in.

Guess I better call Cruiser Dan and finally get a FSM and some motor mounts. I have never heard of the "detent ball". I searched Archives on replacing motor mounts and think I can tackle that one.

What about tranny mounts? Are those hard to replace?

How hard is it to replace the detent balls and springs?

Soggy60: once I see that large diameter, skinny bolt head... what then? Pull out to inspect?

thanks!

There are two balls and springs. Do you have any manual there ? I will try to find a pic on line and send it to ya.

HTH

I have the Haynes manual, but due to my minimal wrenching ability I have a hard time navigating that book as it covers "everything" kinda poorly IMO.

krzyabncanuck, if you have pix I'd love to see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom