4wd light came on while driving/grinding from transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old Nick

GOLD Star
Threads
Gents,

I recently had my transfer case rebuilt (while I had a new Wholesale Automatics A440) installed on my 1988 FJ62. I purchased Marlin Crawler's bearing/gasket kit. It's been running absolutely beautifully. Today, after doing a welding project for my father, I was heading home.

Window down so I can hear all of the good noises that my truck makes.

Symptoms:

Driving 30-35 mph on a country road. I heard a grinding sound - lasted about 2-3 seconds. That caught my attention. About 30 seconds or so later, I hear the sound again.

Put my flashers on and slowed down to about 5 mph.

At which point I started to hear a "clicking" coming from the fuse box and my H 4wd light illuminated (the button was not depressed).

Pulled off the road immediately.

Hubs weren't locked.

Transfer case was in 2H.

Got it towed back to the shop that rebuilt the case. I've worked with them for years and they have always done good work. They paid for the tow and will sort it out. But, dang am I bummed.

Have any of you ever come across symptoms like this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:
that sucks man. all i've got is, that's why a manual shifter on transfer case n transmission. no wires, no sensors to fawk with you. hope it don't fawker with you too bad

Could be your 4wd solenoid.
Read this for a cheaper fix.
Good luck man. I hope it's this for you

Dude, thank you. I’ll check out the thread you linked and follow-up later.

that sucks man. all i've got is, that's why a manual shifter on transfer case n transmission. no wires, no sensors to fawk with you. hope it don't fawker with you too bad
Yeah, man. I know the manual has less chit to fawk with. I’ll post up when I know more,

Read through the excellent thread you linked. Man, I’m hoping the fix is that simple!

I rolled the dice and went to the Bay. Found a complete new oem solenoid set for my 62 (yes, I paid more for it than I wanted to), but when I can find oem I’ll pick it up.

My buddy who rebuilt my t-case is on vacation until next week. If the part arrives before then, I’ll head up to his shop over the weekend and install it myself.

If it sorts out the problem, man, I’ll be indebted to you. If not, at least I’ll have new solenoids! Just wanted to say thank you for the tip.

Fingers crossed that will do the trick.

No problem at all. I have received lots of good direction from other members. I hope it works out man 👍

with your hubs unlocked switching from 2H to 4H "on the go" will cause grinding because the front driveshaft is not spinning at all or not at the same speed as the transfer case. I realize you are not actively trying to shift, but your vacuum shift mechanism is trying to do it for you. To prevent grinding as you limp home, you can lock the hubs, but then 4wd will be engaged when the system acts up.

No problem at all. I have received lots of good direction from other members. I hope it works out man 👍
Thanks, man. I'll post up again when I've installed the new bits and pieces.

with your hubs unlocked switching from 2H to 4H "on the go" will cause grinding because the front driveshaft is not spinning at all or not at the same speed as the transfer case. I realize you are not actively trying to shift, but your vacuum shift mechanism is trying to do it for you. To prevent grinding as you limp home, you can lock the hubs, but then 4wd will be engaged when the system acts up.
Thank you for that perfectly clear explanation. Describes my situation exactly.

I’m selling a rebuilt T-case soon if you need one.

Thank you for that perfectly clear explanation. Describes my situation exactly.

please follow up after you have a final diagnosis here , it will be helpful for future TECG advance searches Nick

I’m selling a rebuilt T-case soon if you need one.
Thank you for chiming in. I'm hoping that I won't need one. In the event that I do, I might well be in touch.

Parts arrived.

Last edited:
Man, I have to thank you! New solenoids installed. 4wd problem sorted out. Literally plug and play. You saved me a bunch of time and worry.

Not sure where you're located, but if you ever pass through Bourbon Country (Kentucky), shoot me a PM. I'll buy you a beer... or a bourbon.

Take it easy.

Awesome buddy! Happy that was the worked for you. More than happy to share, but I cannot take credit for the over all fix. Cheers🤙

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom