4wd button with t-case shifter and hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is strange,
I have a 1990 FJ62. T-case is manually shifted, hubs on the front.

What's the 4wd button on the dash for?

Whats the vaccum pot on the t-case crossmember for?

I have a 1988 FJ62. Aisin hubs on the front.
It has a 4wd push button that engages 4wd HI.
The shift lever on mine is for shifting between 4wd HI, neutral, and 4wd LO.
This lever only moves forward/backward. It does not move to the side like
the non-vacuum transfer case lever.
This is the same on every FJ62 I have seen.
I would guess that your transfer case was swapped.

grendel said:
This is strange,
I have a 1990 FJ62. T-case is manually shifted, hubs on the front.

Uhh.... no. The lever on the floor does 2 things: it engages the low range gears in the transfer, and by doing this, it trips a switch on the side of the transfer that does the same thing the button on the dash does, which is to engage the front driveshaft and enable 4WD.

What's the 4wd button on the dash for?

Whats the vaccum pot on the t-case crossmember for?

That is part of the system that engages the front driveshaft. Now, Cruisers are great trucks and all, but that system is one of the STUPIDEST things that Toyota has ever let out of the factory. Pushing that button (or shifting the lever to 4LO) energizes a VSV solenoid that is on the firewall, right next to the charcoal canister. This sends vacuum to the dashpot, which slides a fork in the transfer to engage 4WD.

The problem is that VSV solenoid pack eventually burns out, and they are stupidly expensive to replace, something like $400.

So, I should yank the VSV solenoid pack? Is there anything you need off of this truck before I get rid of it? It rotted pretty badly.

I was originally going to repower it with a Chevy 383, Th400 and doubler, but the body's junk.

I don't need anything, but if you're just junking the truck and don't care that the 4WD doesn't work anymore, then hell ya, grab them. You'll have no trouble selling them, especially this winter when somebody's FJ62 won't go into 4WD in that raging snowstorm.

If there are electric mirrors on it, I would most certainly be interested in those. Also, the rear tail gate carpet. Just in case you feel incline. Thanks

It does have electric mirrors, in very good shape, chrome with no rust or pitting. The rear carpet's in good shape, too.

Do all the 62's have that system? I was thinking of getting a 62 transfer case for my 60 for the lower ratio in the 62 case. But if they all have that silly system then I'll pass...............

jefferson-mo said:
Do all the 62's have that system? I was thinking of getting a 62 transfer case for my 60 for the lower ratio in the 62 case. But if they all have that silly system then I'll pass...............

Vacuum shifted t-cases should be able to be converted to manual shift with the right parts. Once I get all the necessary parts I'll try it on mine.

Dave

Looking at the t-case, it doesn't look like it would be that tough to add a cable lock to it.

grendel.............where are you located?

grendel said:
It does have electric mirrors, in very good shape, chrome with no rust or pitting. The rear carpet's in good shape, too.

Drop a line at mpeagan@nc.rr.com on what you will take for the above. Thanks. Hopefully I will be up in your neck of the woods this fall for grouse season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom