4th July Weekend Maint. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser Jimmy

Threads
Well, I decided to do some much needed maintenance on the FJ80.
I've had an oil leak for sometime now and I've never been able to pinpoint the source of the leak. I've taken a top down approach to gasket replacement to isolate the well noted 3FE oil leak. The valve cover gasket, side pushpod gaskets have been replace, as well the oil pan gasket. At last, a break in time to replace the Rear Main Seal (RMS).

Friday night: start with raising the 80 and taking off the components per the FSM, no problem.

Saturday day and night: I don't have a suitable jack to lower the tranny so it's off to Harbour Freight for a larger jack and a friend was kind enough to bring a tranny stand for the jack that I just bought.

Now then, I've got the 80 as high as the jack stand will allow, but it's not high enough for the tranny to slide out from under the rig. F*$k'in A.

Next I carefully orchestrated the holding pattern of the tranny under the rig by securing each end. Then with it steady I removed the tranny jack stand and slide the smaller jack under the tranny. Next I lowered the tranny with the small jack until I could get the tranny on the ground to were I'm able the slide it from under the rig.

Now the investigation can begin on the origin of the oil leak. With the tranny out of the way I found that the RMS had signed of oil leaking. From the three attached pics you can see the lower portion of the tranny support plate is covered with hardened oil deposits. Also, the two bolts that hold the dust cover in place are covered with oil.

But I'm not really convicted that the RMS is 100% responsible for the oil leak. I had a suspicion that the back of the oil pan could play a roll in the oil leak also.
Well as I mention before, I have replaced the oil pan gasket once alreay. The gasket I replaced before was one from SOR and it was a four peice gasket. After I replaced it the first time it still leak as before.

Well now that I've got the tranny down I can replace the pan gacket with one from a dealer, I one peice design, I'm already feeling more comfortable.

Well, on the trip to Harbour Freight I told the friend that when I drained the transfer case, ATF can out of the transfer case. He said that he know of similar experiences with this and said that the output shaft seal on the tranny was leaking. Sure enough that was the case. Pics will be posted later.

Well, now comes time to take the RMS out. I take it out and notice that it's worn but not that bad. No solid evidence that it's the culprit, but at least it's out and I can rule it out. Well, almost!! In putting the damn thing in I bend one side. The seal is in but there's deformation on part of the radius. RMS replace x2.

Considering it's the 4th weekend and the dealer will not be open until Tuesday I'll have to wait until next weekend to put the tranny back it.

Okay, so here's a list of the components I need for everything I've got to replace or replace due to it being found missing or I broke it taking the tranny down.

Part Description Toyota PN SOR PN

Check Valve for Smog Pump 90917-10076 048-25C
Rear Main Oil Seal 90311-99005 034-40M
Seal, Transmission 35116-60010 065-18A
Plug, Breather No. 1 (ATM) 90930-03094 065-950A
Ring, O (for breather plug 90301-06005 065-951A
Sleeve Sub-Assy, Speedo 33404-22010 070-02C
Clip (for ATM speedo shaft) 90468-12005
Oil Seal 070-80B
O-Ring 070-79C
O-Ring 070-78A
Hose Clamp (trans oil lines) 90467-16013
Seal, Oil (For transer case, input) 90311-48016 068-27W
Seal, Oil (For transer case, input) 90310-16001 068-03C
Seal, Oil 90311-48016
Oil pan gasket Already have it (one piece design)

Thanks for looking, and I'll report on the results once everything is back together.
DSCF0405.jpg
DSCF0406.JPG
DSCF0415.JPG

Last edited:
Leaky Tranny seal pics.

Transmission output shaft seal leak.
DSCF0415.JPG
DSCF0416.JPG
DSCF0417.JPG

Oil pan pics.
DSCF0407.JPG
DSCF0414.jpg
DSCF0412.JPG

Speedo casing assy breakage. Oops
DSCF0404.JPG

Jim,

Wow, you've been busy!

Happy 4th!

Ali

Ali,
Yes. I've finally gotten to fix the oil leak. Also, it's fun to find other problems when doing maintenance. Money just seems to leap out of your wallet.

Happy 4th As well.

Well, it was quite hard to get the tranny down but the rig will be better off in the future.
You know, when you're doing something like this tempers tend to get high if something does not go your way. Well, Ive got a story.

At the point were the tranny did not come out from under the rig is when I started to get angry. But I've been doing my own maint. for sometime and I've learned to walk around for a little bit before I put a screwdriver thru the fender. :mad:

Well, I go the computer and surf Mud for a little bit in the chit chat section to calm the nerves.
While I'm surfing the dogs are playing tug-a-war with some rope. I've got a Jack Russell. My girlfriends dog, which I'm doggy sitting, is a Beagel mix. Both are males with no nuts. The JR is about 5 and the beagel is about 2.

So I'm turning around occasionally to observe them and notice that one's trying to hump the other. Then they switch ends, great, I've got a switch hitter for a dog. :eek:

Then, I turn around and notice an odd postion that they are trying to achieve.
It appeared that one's head was down licking the other and the others head was doing the same, all the while their butts are doing the doggy hump. I could not believe that they acheived doggy 69, they were both licking each others red rocket.

Well, that was amusement enough, I went back to the tranny and got it from under the rig with only one oops breakage.

Cheers,
Jim

Follow up to the 4th July Maint

Well I finally got everything finished on the 80. I changed out the rear main seal and oil pan gasket (for the second time) and I don't have any leaks from the engine. Got everything button'ed up in the afternoon of the 9th. Now I can park with out the threat of seeing a kiddy pool size oil spot on the garage floor.

In doing this job I also changed out some seals on the transfer case when I noticed that they were leaking. After I topped the xfer case off with some 80W-90 I noticed that the infamious "clunk" was more subdo then before. I guess the thicker oil helped out.

The next project will be to fix the clunk problem. I'm starting in the are of the front diff. When I checked the play on the driveshaft end there was a consideration amount of play. More then an inch from just before the wheels start to turn.

Later, :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom