4speed Tranny to 3speed tcase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40LandCruising

Anderson
Threads
I know this is in in faq and I read through everything in there but still am confused. I have ordered the gear, seal, and gasket from Cruiser outfitters and have the 3-speed out of our 73’ 40 as well as a 4-speed I got from a local club member. But from reading on Cruiser outfitters website it seems I need some sort of pto spacer, do I need this out of my 3-speed tcase or do I have to get one from a 4-speed tcase? Because from what I’ve been told no one sells them, could I machine one to work? I have some machinist friends.

You need two spacers. They are different lengths. The specs should be posted somewhere. Use your tailshaft to get the I.D. Outside diameter is not critical.

FWIW, my kits come with them

One thing to consider is you need longer transmission to transfer case bolts. You need the 4 speed t/c to transmission bolts (5 of them). The 3 speed bolts are not long enough.

Cruiser Outfitters should be supplying a spacer tube with their kit.

One thing to consider is you need longer transmission to transfer case bolts. You need the 4 speed t/c to transmission bolts (5 of them). The 3 speed bolts are not long enough.
I’ve heard about those bolts, my 3-speed bolts are janky anyways so I’ll definitely get some new ones.

You need two spacers. They are different lengths. The specs should be posted somewhere. Use your tailshaft to get the I.D. Outside diameter is not critical.

FWIW, my kits come with them
Do both the spacers go at the end of the tailshaft in the tcase?

One spacer is inside the case between gear and outer bearing. The 3 speed spacer is too small to fit over the output shaft. The second spacer is on the outside of case, behind the nut that tightens the output bearing. Make certain to use locktite on the mounting bolts, especially the two short bolts on inside of case behind PTO cover and TORQ the down. It’s catastrophic if they get lose and come out. Yes you need different bolts, longer ones, and a different bearing. Before you assemble it together make sure the bearing fits over the output shaft or you will have a hard time putting the tcase on. On mine I had to stone the splines down for a nice slip fit which made assembly a slam dunk. Hope this helps, SOR has all the parts you are missing you must have to complete the task.

One spacer is inside the case between gear and outer bearing. The 3 speed spacer is too small to fit over the output shaft. The second spacer is on the outside of case, behind the nut that tightens the output bearing. Make certain to use locktite on the mounting bolts, especially the two short bolts on inside of case behind PTO cover and TORQ the down. It’s catastrophic if they get lose and come out. Yes you need different bolts, longer ones, and a different bearing. Before you assemble it together make sure the bearing fits over the output shaft or you will have a hard time putting the tcase on. On mine I had to stone the splines down for a nice slip fit which made assembly a slam dunk. Hope this helps, SOR has all the parts you are missing you must have to complete the task.
Thank you, I should be able to get this going now!

I know this is in in faq and I read through everything in there but still am confused. I have ordered the gear, seal, and gasket from Cruiser outfitters and have the 3-speed out of our 73’ 40 as well as a 4-speed I got from a local club member. But from reading on Cruiser outfitters website it seems I need some sort of pto spacer, do I need this out of my 3-speed tcase or do I have to get one from a 4-speed tcase? Because from what I’ve been told no one sells them, could I machine one to work? I have some machinist friends.
I was going to mention fitment, as you know the 4 speed is longer than the three speed transmission and if you have the straight round pipe cross member you will have about 1/4" clearance from the rear of the transfer emergency brake drum, but seeing that you have a 350 in it you've probably taken care of this.

I was going to mention fitment, as you know the 4 speed is longer than the three speed transmission and if you have the straight round pipe cross member you will have about 1/4" clearance from the rear of the transfer emergency brake drum, but seeing that you have a 350 in it you've probably taken care of this.

We are in the midst of the swap as we speak so I’m not 100% positive if we will clear the pipe cross member but I imagine since the 350 will sit farther forward that we will be good. Thank you for the input though, we will make sure and pay attention turn to that, it hadn’t even crossed my mind.

Chevota's with 3 speed or 4 speed should not have a clearance problem at the rear turque tube crossmember, Chevota conversions using an automatic tranny and adapter may or may not have a clearance problem. Unfortunately moving the engine too far forward trying to solve a crossmember clearance problem ends up putting the front crank pulley right over the front differential, which becomes a worse clearance problem.

Chevota's with 3 speed or 4 speed should not have a clearance problem at the rear turque tube crossmember, Chevota conversions using an automatic tranny and adapter may or may not have a clearance problem. Unfortunately moving the engine too far forward trying to solve a crossmember clearance problem ends up putting the front crank pulley right over the front differential, which becomes a worse clearance problem.
When we weld in the front motor mounts which should be soon, I am going to go off of the measurements in your awesome swap booklet so we should be set!

Cruiser Outfitters should be supplying a spacer tube with their kit.
They don’t have a kit, they just had a list of the things needed that I ordered individually. I would’ve ordered a kit from someone in retrospect to avoid this piecemealing

Using the same transfer case the depth is the same. When I did my conversion it wasn't length that was the issue it was the thread pitch. It changed between the three and four speed. Mine is a H42 out of a 76 FJ40.

Using the same transfer case the depth is the same. When I did my conversion it wasn't length that was the issue it was the thread pitch. It changed between the three and four speed. Mine is a H42 out of a 76 FJ40.
I was thinking they’d be the same length but that makes sense. Do you know what bolts you used?

I was thinking they’d be the same length but that makes sense. Do you know what bolts you used?

I used the bolts that were from the four speed. Probably still available from Toyota. Just ask for the bolts that match the year of the transmission. May find some used as many as these have been broken down and sold separately. I would check Toyota's price first as it seems any from a FJ40 is gold plated to some. You will come accross used parts being sold for more than you still buy new.

SOR has the bolts, by part number not description but I do think they are a little longer. The transmission bolt holes are counterbored in about 1/2 inch if I remember and 3 speed is not ( gonna look at my old 3 speed later). One thing to look into is your shifter set up. On mine I went with floor shifter for 4 speed and it required a different selector shaft for low to high range on top plate of transfer case. Like stated earlier they should of had a more complete kit for you, you don’t want hardware store bolts.

I like the positive high low shifter of the three speed and early four speed. The the selector on the transfer case nose cone for 4WD need to be changed no matter what linkage you use. My guess the rod going back to the high will be too short. When I did mine I went from vacuum to manual shift. As I remember believe I bought the whole linkage from Mark's Off-road. This was back in the mid nineties. Need time I pull the T/T I plan on going to the later style setup. While I like the positive shift of the early style I think it transfer more vibrations to the lever going thru the floor. To do this the lever on the transfer case has to go forward not to the side. That requires a different piece in the transfer. If you run the early shifter I'm sure all the selector shafts have the threaded hole for the linkage. May require rebuilding it with your housings.

I used the bolts that were from the four speed. Probably still available from Toyota. Just ask for the bolts that match the year of the transmission. May find some used as many as these have been broken down and sold separately. I would check Toyota's price first as it seems any from a FJ40 is gold plated to some. You will come accross used parts being sold for more than you still buy new.
I’ll check the price at the local dealership, thanks.

SOR has the bolts, by part number not description but I do think they are a little longer. The transmission bolt holes are counterbored in about 1/2 inch if I remember and 3 speed is not ( gonna look at my old 3 speed later). One thing to look into is your shifter set up. On mine I went with floor shifter for 4 speed and it required a different selector shaft for low to high range on top plate of transfer case. Like stated earlier they should of had a more complete kit for you, you don’t want hardware store bolts.
Mine is manual on the floor as it is now. So do I have to change anything still?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom