4speed to 5 speed Swap / 1986 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I plan on removing the stock 4 speed and installing a 5speed. What if any components will I need to keep from the 4speed. I may be able to sell the complete 2F and 4 speed but I want to make sure to keep anything important. Excluding the slave cylinder, the clutch components....anything I need to make sure and keep.

Will be doing a V-8 swap at the same time, using kit from Mark's Adapters, which I don't have yet....

My advice, having done the swap - Don't keep anything. Don't let anyone talk you into keeping the four speed shifter. Replace the tranny mount.

Oh, you might want to keep the tranny to bellhousing bolts unless the Marks kit includes them.

Do you have the 5 speed and a transfer case? If you dont have a t/case just be aware that some earlier model split transfer cases fitted to 4 speed transmissions don't have the recess in the intermediate plate for the support bearing on the 5 speed transmission.

linkages on the transfer shift are also slightly longer.

rear drive shaft is shorter, front shaft is longer....

Why would you replace the tranny mount if nothing is wrong with it?

If you can be sure that nothing is wrong with it, no reason. However it might be difficult to spot cracks in the rubber isolator.

Hey Cruiserman,

I just noticed in your sig line that you have a 40. If you want to come into town some time I'd love to check it out and shoot the shizzle for a bit. You can check out my finished diesel conversion of you like.

:cheers:

I have the stock 4 speed with stock transfer case. 1986 FJ60. Plan to swap in the toytoa 5 speed.

Might be an idea to check out what t/case you have, unfortunately there is no way from telling on the outside of the case whether or not it suits a 5 speed or not.

Over here (Australia) the FJ and HJ 60 series pre 84 had 4 speeds fitted, with the option of a 5 speed. I believe that 85 onwards all 60 series had the 5 speed H55F fitted standard.

As I mentioned, the intermediate plate in the transfer case (The part that bolts to the gearbox) has a recess in it where a support bearing on the output shaft on the 5 speed gearbox sits in.

As your box is an 86, I would think that it may have the recess, (you can put a 5 speed transfer case onto the back of a 4 speed gearbox, but not the other way around, unless it has that bearing recess). I can't see toyota using earlier/old style transfer cases, but then Toyota are good for sending some models to some countries, and not to others.......

I have a transfer case in the shed with the 5 speed bearing support, will dig it out and photograph it if you like.....

I would keep all the bolts, linkages and brackets until you have finished your conversion, then sell what you have left over. That way if you do need something, you dont have to go and buy another.

X2 on the five-speed shifter, the one on mine wouldn't work, so I got one for a H-55 and all was good. your T-case should be good to go. don't forget to rebuild your T-case while it's out and you're assembling the new motor/etc... maybe a new clutch-fork boot if yours is toast?

If your 4spd has the spacer behind it (an 86 most certainly should) then it's a bolt-in.

With a Marks, the only clutch components you'll reuse is the fork; get a new slave and TO bearing. Not to with all the other expense is "false ecomomy" as the English say. With a Marks you'll want to use a centerforce clutch that's set up to use that adapter.

you should keep at a minimum the t-case shifter & t-case.

The 4 speed has little or no value w/ or w/o the engine.

the engine, if a solid runner may bring some ok $ but if not a runner it's best as parts but much hard to sell (especially ship). There may be a few things which could cross over (smog stuff used in other applications) but 98% of the engine bay can be cleared.

If you must have a 5 speed I will understand- but have you considered an automatic? It would make the v8 conversion $2,000 cheaper.

I replaced everything as one unit in my 1984 FJ60. I just had to have the drive shaft lengths adjusted accordingly. I also used my stock cross member, but I had to move it back on the frame. I just drilled out the frame holes and used grade 8 bolts. I do not know what changes there are with a non 2F switch. By the way, if you have a 5 speed shifter from overseas, you will have to heat and bend it over for the left side driver..unless you have LONG arms! Just lay a wet towel over the upper section, heat the area between the lower ball and upper shaft. It will bend nicely. Craig

craig-

#1, he is using a marks adapter which places t-case in same position as original.

#2, he has a 1986 which uses the "long" H42 4 speed and does not have driveline issues.

as an aside, the left hand shift lever for a FJ62 manual transmission is $100 +/- at a dealer.

...and I put 40,000 miles on a RHD lever in a left hand drive fj60 1996-1998.

Wow...who knew I knew so little. That all sounds great, except $100 for a shifter sounds pretty high when you can bend the old one for FREE! I do not think my passenger would like it in their lap. Craig

I replaced everything as one unit in my 1984 FJ60. I just had to have the drive shaft lengths adjusted accordingly. I also used my stock cross member, but I had to move it back on the frame. I just drilled out the frame holes and used grade 8 bolts.

This is strange, because in my 84, I reused the crossmember with no modifications. The rear mount is in the same place on the tranny, so unless you also installed a V-8, there is no reason to change the crossmember.

Oops!

I realized later that it was not my cross member, it was my skid plate that I had to move. I just spaced it down a bit to make room for transmission clearance. I could have also moved it back, but drilling through the frame was more than I wanted to deal with at the time. Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom