4speed or 3speed skid plate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if the skid plate in the middle and the one on the left are 4speed or 3speed? Also if it’s a 4speed what’s the chances it fitting on my Nov 73 build FJ40 or would I have to modify it?

3C387059-A17C-43E3-9A41-C0171AA5C616.jpeg

30A01205-E1EF-446D-90F0-33D60BB66D5D.jpeg

Pictures I have from my skid plate on a 10/73 built with original 4-speed.
1652459566698.png

1652459622612.png

1652456938020.png

So for me it seems closer to your right one. At least the rear part is identical, the front part goes a little further on the side.

Looking at your 2 left ones they go further to the back and the only thing I see that could be an issue is the stock exhaust that goes back up just after the skid plate.

And a better view of the front from an old picture, different from the 3 displayed skid plates:
1652462180933.png

But I don't think that would be an issue x)

Pictures I have from my skid plate on a 10/73 built with original 4-speed.
View attachment 3007755
View attachment 3007756
View attachment 3007703

So for me it seems closer to your right one. At least the rear part is identical, the front part goes a little further on the side.

Looking at your 2 left ones they go further to the back and the only thing I see that could be an issue is the stock exhaust that goes back up just after the skid plate.
Thanks for the pictures and replying. Is yours a US spec?

If you look at the position of the large and small holes in the middle they are reversed on the three and four speed skid plates. I have also noticed the three speed skid plates are heavier than four speed. In my collection of skid plates I have a four speed that is heavier than the other four speed skid plates. The holes in the middle are also the same as the three speed. Can't remember the history on all my parts anymore. I'm thinking this is from a early 74 with a four speed skid plate. Planning on using that in 2/73 when I switch to a four speed.

If you look at the position of the large and small holes in the middle they are reversed on the three and four speed skid plates. I have also noticed the three speed skid plates are heavier than four speed. In my collection of skid plates I have a four speed that is heavier than the other four speed skid plates. The holes in the middle are also the same as the three speed. Can't remember the history on all my parts anymore. I'm thinking this is from a early 74 with a four speed skid plate. Planning on using that in 2/73 when I switch to a four speed.
I was planning on tagging you on the thread so thanks for replying. My cruiser original had a 3speed in it and I converted it to a 4speed. I read on another post that you had committed that a 4speed wouldn’t fit on a 3speed frame without modifying it.
Based on @flx cruiser being a month earlier than mine and having a original 4speed what’s the possibilities that my cruiser is a 4speed frame even though his is a euro spec? What’s the chance that once Toyota started putting 4speeds in the 40’s no matter in what market it was they used the 4speed frame going forward in all markets with some having 3speeds and 4speeds. That could be the reason the middle holes in some of the 3speeds are the same as the 4speed.

Now that I’m thinking about it I could look at my crossmember behind the transmission and see how far back it sits to determine if it’s a 4speed setup.

what’s the possibilities that my cruiser is a 4speed frame even though his is a euro spec? What’s the chance that once Toyota started putting 4speeds in the 40’s no matter in what market it was they used the 4speed frame going forward in all markets with some having 3speeds and 4speeds. That could be the reason the middle holes in some of the 3speeds are the same as the 4speed.

Having a quick look at the EPC I see only 1 partnumber per year for the frame assy for a LHD FJ40 si I would say yes.

Similarly, FJ40 sold when the 5-speed was available have the space to accommodate one (even if sold with a 4-speed) while the FJ40 sold before the availability of the 5-speed don't have the space for one.

And to add to the details pointing in this direction:
These 2 holes have a welded nut behind them and are similar to the 6 nuts holding my skid plate. They have no apparent use on my frame.
1652541823598.png

I would bet that they are for those 2 forward holes of the 3-speed skid plate:
1652542022658.png

If I'm right you probably have 2 extra welded nuts on your frame at the back of your 3-speed skid plate.

@cims1970fj40 fj40 I know Australia had a early four speed on the 1973 model. The HJ45 even ealier. 9/72 the crossmember changed shape and was moved back a little so the four speed fits. Tub floor and transmission cover also changed. At some point Toyota changed the frame that reversed the fixed nut and rivet. Not sure why or when that happened. So much time has passed that you search parts sites they now only show a three speed skid and four speed skid plate uo to 7/80. Next week I will be around where all my loose skid plate are. My four and five speed skid plates are in one location and three speed in another. As of a few weeks ago they now are all in the same general location. Now sure if they is really much interest in this subject. Back in 1994 I put a four speed into my 68 FJ40. I tried putting a four speed skid plate and it didn't line up to the holes in the frame. I just put the three speed skid plate back in. Few months later I bought my 73 FST. Had I bought the 73 sooner it would have gotten the four since only parts needed to accomplish the switch are bolt on.

Thanks guys! I ended up scraping the one on the right yesterday because of its shape and the other two are an 1 1/2hrs away from me know after my dad took them to his new house. Should have kept the one that I got rid of just to make sure it fit.

Having a quick look at the EPC I see only 1 partnumber per year for the frame assy for a LHD FJ40 si I would say yes.

Similarly, FJ40 sold when the 5-speed was available have the space to accommodate one (even if sold with a 4-speed) while the FJ40 sold before the availability of the 5-speed don't have the space for one.

And to add to the details pointing in this direction:
These 2 holes have a welded nut behind them and are similar to the 6 nuts holding my skid plate. They have no apparent use on my frame.
View attachment 3008592

I would bet that they are for those 2 forward holes of the 3-speed skid plate:
View attachment 3008593

If I'm right you probably have 2 extra welded nuts on your frame at the back of your 3-speed skid plate.

I was around my skid plate plates earlier this week. Dug into my three speed skid plate and found out the one I thought was an early four speed was just one of the later three speed skid plates a have a fee more of. I did have a look at my 2/73 frame and realized it has a fourth threaded hole. So you are correct Toyota simple made roughly the same size skid plate and just moved it back.
20220518_090433.jpg

I haven't inspected my 76 and 79 frame frames I suspect will find they have the four fixed nuts on each side as well. Disappointed the skid plate I thought was a early four speed is only a three speed. All my four speed skid plates are lighter gauge metal.

The only differences I think happened in the frame 10/82 is the front fixed nut was removed. The date the five speed started the three speed ended. The crossmember part number changed. The Same for the L brackets. While the shape of the crossmember changed to allow more clearance for the front driveshaft the L brackets didn't change. I sets from a 3/82 FJ40 and 3/83 BJ42. They are the same. Have the same part number stamped into them. Interesting Toyota doesn't even say the later L bracket part nut is a sub for the earlier one. The biggest thing you would think Toyota would have changed for the five speed was move the torque tube back a little for the extra length. But they didn't. Probably because that would have required moving the fuel tank. 8/80 Toyota moved the hand brake to the rear axle on the short and mid wheel base 40 series. The long wheel base remained on the transfer case. This is the reason the H55F was never offered in a long wheel case 40 series. There isn't enough room the brake drum where the torque tube is located. The four and five speed skid plates on the later 40 series used the threaded nuts. None were added for the five speed.

From left to right, 74-7/80 four speed. 8/80+ four speed. Last the 10/82+ five speed.
IMG_20190814_105622213.jpg

8/80+ fit up against the transmission crossmember which is why the four speed skid pate is smaller than previous years. The overall length may have increased with the crossmember. But the gauge of the metal is still lighter than three speed skid plate.
IMG_20190814_105432834.jpg

I curious did the later three speed skid plate stay the same heavy gauge or did Toyota use lighter gauge when the four speed started?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom