4speed manual into FJ62 HELP PLEASE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

So I have done one of the best swaps into and FJ62 ever, other than the H55F, and installed the H4* series 4 speed manual transmission into my FJ62 Landcruiser. I have everything done. I went to start it and nothing. My first thoughts where a ground from the back of the Transmission/transfer case. (because there was one before with the automatic). When that didn't work, my next thought was, when you have an automatic, the truck will not start UNLESS it is in Park. So my next question is how do I get around this problem? Does anyone know how to solve this? Quick search turned up nothing.

I need to fix this AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, so any help and ideas would be extrememly helpful

Thanks!

Kiel

No start

I'm sure there was a neutral safety switch on the auto. Are there any wires in the area of where the auto trans was? If so you could bypass it there to complete the circuit.

I can't look up for the '88, but yes, you need to jumper the Transmission Range Switch connector. If you have the EWD, look under Starting & Ignition. The 2 wires should be a larger gauge that the others, possibly Black/White and Black/Red.

When you pulled the auto tranny you also removed the neutral start switch. There is a large roundish plug (IIRC) that was connected to the auto tranny. This plug is now hanging free and it has 3 (?) wires. All you need to do is connect a jumper wire between two of these wires and the engine will start. I think the remaining wire is for the backup switch and if you connect that to the switch on the H42 your reverse lights will work.

PM sent. You will, eventually, find that you also have no reverse lights.

Good luck,
Mitch

Pretty quick on the draw there Jim!

One more note...this is a perfect opportunity to insert a kill switch into the NSS circuit. Hint, hint.

Mitch

Pretty quick on the draw there Jim!

One more note...this is a perfect opportunity to insert a kill switch into the NSS circuit. Hint, hint.

Mitch

Forgot about that and a good idea. Once installed the switch can be used to interrupt the starting circuit and prevent starting, but once the engine is running has no effect upon killing the engine. Hide the switch or put it in a lockable Tuffy.

I was laying awake last night after posting above and wondered if you wired up the clutch start switch. Most would probably say don't bother, but it is a safety feature that could save your life, or at least some property damage.

Another good idea! Also, the clutch switch is mandatory if you want to run cruise control.

On the kill switch, agree with Jim on hiding it, or my preference is to hide it in plain sight. Look at your dash and you might get the idea. I have two, one NSS and one coil. Good luck to the dirtbag that tries to figure out which switch and in what position! ;o)

Mitch

Problem is all solved and and I have determined the perfect in sight place for the killswitch. I have not done that yet, but that is my next project, along with getting the reverse light set up, that will happen after my 200 mile trek back home ;). Had a few other small problems that I had to work through as well but figured it out and now it runs and well!!!

thanks for the help

Kiel!

Wow thanks Jim. Cuz now that you mention it about an hour ago we went for one last test drive

turns out the clutch slave cylinder has a leak in the rubber seal. . . it didnt really happen before that . . .

You HAD to say it

the slave cylinder and clutch lines will be replaced after the trip. (I have my dads AARP roadside assitance they give you 100 miles of towing free and pay for loading and unloading charges so. . . :D)
(I ended up using some jenky setup for the clutch line) but it works

Cruiser88 when you do this make sure you have all of the right parts haha I somehow ended up with a 4speed from an FJ40 which DOES NOT work.

Full list of parts needed:
-4speed transmission
-split case (or use the old vaccum one :rolleyes: )
-3f bellhousing
-clutch master cylinder (from an 85 FJ60)
-Clutch slave cylinder (from ad 85 FJ60)
-transmission tunnel cover from FJ60
-pedal bucket from FJ60
-clutch lines from FJ60
-crossmember from FJ60(85?? unsure of necessary year)
-Flywheel from 85 FJ60
-clutch kit(clutch plate, pressure plate, T/O bearing, clutch fork, pilot bearing, clutch pivot ball) for transmission from 85 FJ60
-driveshafts (front and rear are both the correct size) from FJ60
-if you can get the matching front carpet from an FJ60 you will be happier too(the FJ62 carpet has holes from the auto shifter and the dead pedal) the FJ60 carpet should fit fine and look much nicer.
-Shifter boots

A few tips:

-You will have to bypass the Nuetral Start Switch on the vehicle it is a large blue connector. there are 3 wires on it one is for the reverse light(iirc) the other two are the NSS. this thread covers how to do it here is some more info that I received in a PM with pictures

archtimb said:
This is for a H55 install, but the harness on the 4 speed is probably the same.

Near the PS firewall are the electric connectors for your tranny & transfer. The transfer connections stay the same. We are dealing with the two round connectors for the tranny, one white, one blue.

When your A440F is out, you will have an unused connection at the tranny for the AT temp. sensor. This connector will plug into the reverse switch connection on your new H55! This contains a yellow/red and a yellow/green wire.

Now comes the magic. You need to open the harness of your tranny connection where the two round connectors are. On the blue connector, cut and solder the two heavy gauge wires together (white & black). This will jump out your NSS. Now would be a good time to install a NSS kill switch (hint, hint). Place a switch between the white & black and you will be able to select when your starter will work!
The light gauge black wire in the blue connector is one side of your reverse lights. Cut this and solder it to the the yellow/red wire going to the old AT temp sensor.
On the white connector, cut the blue wire and solder this to the yellow/green wire going to the old AT temp sensor.
Cut and cap the red wire on the white connector.
Done.

Make sure all the wires are insulated and tape/heat shrink the whole thing back together.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about. Do this at your own risk! All I can say is, it worked for me...

http://archtimb.com/Images/cruiser/H55_1.JPG
http://archtimb.com/Images/cruiser/H55_2.JPG
http://archtimb.com/Images/cruiser/H55_3.JPG

I am unsure about the reverse light procedure have not gotten to that yet, will post up when I am done with that if it works for the H4* install.

-Use a transmission jack IT WILL MAKE IT SOOOOO MUCH EASIER

-Put a ground wire from the starter to the transmission and the transfer case to the frame(it is on the automatic as well I just transferred it to the manual and moved it forward)

-While the transmission is out replace the rear main cuz its worth it while its out before you need to take it out again ;)

-Clean everything off before putting it in. Makes the job a fair amount easier and looks better in the end.

-Also when taking out/putting in the pedal bucket there are some bolts behind the defroster "hood" It is a pain to get to them with it on, but I think its harder to take it off then t get at them, just unscrew it and pull it as far away as possible.

-Take off as much of the dash as possible without taking the whole thing off.

-Take out your steering column(not too hard just 4 bolts inside and one on the steering linkage) it makes it much easier to get the bucket out.

-Give yourself enough time. I did it in about 6 days, but it was me working about 6-8 hours a day(I also some how ended up with an FJ40 4 speed transmission and got it all the way in before I realized that I had no way of mounting it to my frame because the FJ40s mount it using the bellhousing to the frame) so that added a few days to the list.

Thats all I can think of at the moment PM me with any questions I can help with

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new best mod ever!!

Wow thanks Jim. Cuz now that you mention it about an hour ago we went for one last test drive

turns out the clutch slave cylinder has a leak in the rubber seal. . . it didnt really happen before that . . .

You HAD to say it

the slave cylinder and clutch lines will be replaced after the trip. (I have my dads AARP roadside assitance they give you 100 miles of towing free and pay for loading and unloading charges so. . . :D)
(I ended up using some jenky setup for the clutch line) but it works

Cruiser88 when you do this make sure you have all of the right parts haha I somehow ended up with a 4speed from an FJ40 which DOES NOT work.
:grinpimp:I have the whole rig...87 fj60

Another good idea! Also, the clutch switch is mandatory if you want to run cruise control.

Just to clarify, there are 2 different switches on the clutch, one at the top of throw for cruise cancelling, and one at the bottom for starting.

My '88 wiring harness does not have the coordinating colors on the blue and white connectors. I tried many different combinations and have not got my reverse lights to work. The NSS works fine, just the reverse lights. I also have put a new back-up switch in, so I know that is not the problem. i have follwed "insantiy is born" post, but I just can't seem to get my reverse lights to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom