4spd swap questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1/75 2F that I'm mating to a 78 4spd and t-case. My question is what should I replace while everything is seperated? I have a new clutch, slave, and Mater cylinder coming. The tranny and t-case are still mated together.

Thanks,
Preston

Minimally, I'd replace input/output seals. They're cheap while you're at this stage. Anything else just depends. If you have play or slop in shafts, then you'd probably need bearings & a rebuild kit.

Pilot bearing, get.the flywheel re-surfaced.

I have another question about this swap. I have a new slave and clutch master and I'm moving the slave to the passenger side of the of the bellhousing. My question is how do I extend the hydraulic line to the other side? I have the SS hose from specter but I need to extend the hard line. How do I do this or what options do I have?

Thanks,
Preston

Find a good auto parts store (jobber) and you can buy metric brake line in various lengths. invest in a GOOD QUALITY tubing bender and knock yourself out. Typically you want to minimize the amount of flexible line on hydraulic systems. Flare nuts on later model FJ40 are "taller" than most other types so make sure your fittings will work with what you buy. Option 2 - find a stock donor steel brake line that mounts on the fire wall and modify it to get to the other side!

Since your going to the trouble of upgrading to a 2F and four speed I would do a quick inspection of the transmission tailshaft before installing. Remove the back tailshaft cover and PTO cover. hold the nut on the back of the tailshaft with a wrench and try moving the input drive gear in the transfer case. It should be a tight fit. If it hs a lot of slop chances are the drive gear and tail shaft splines are worn. Pretty common on high mile four speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom