4runner.... rescue?

• Thread starter BlueCruiser84
  • Start date
  • Watchers 11
BlueCruiser84

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Front springs I’m doing a RUF pack that’s a mix of fronts/rears and one leaf out of an old Marlin 4” rear pack. I’m not going for a flex monster. Just looking for low height and more articulation than I had with IFS.

For rear springs I have a pack of 57” Allpro rears off a truck I parted out. I’ll mix and match some leaves into it to make it work. If I can keep the front low enough I might be able to get by with my current OME rear springs for a bit.

Steering I’m going to push the IFS box all the way forward and up, rotate the box so it’s “flat”, flat pitman, then notch the frame for the drag link nut. I want the pitman arm swinging juuuusst under the frame rail.

This should give me as low as possible without crazy amounts of fab. Shooting for a frame height of <23” with 35s.

BlueCruiser84

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Got some RUF packs made. I used the first three leaves of the rear pack and added two leaves from an Allpro lift spring. I may need to add a sixth leaf - these are pretty soft.

Looks like my shackle will touch the frame just before the pack goes flat. I might scoot the front spring hanger forward a smidge, but I’m liking what I see, so far.
0107CCBA 11EF 49AC 99EC 70083DAF1D39
C2148290 8128 4660 B1C6 499478E07590

BlueCruiser84

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Im at 45 3/8" pin to pin up front.

I’m definitely too short then. I read somewhere that you measure your spring length, subtract shackle length, and add a half inch to get hole placement. Spring measurement gave me 47” along the arch, but I’m reading that it’s actually 48” so I need to scoot my hanger another inch forward. Easy enough. It needed to come back off anyway.

BlueCruiser84

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Scooted the front hanger forward a bit. Put weight on the springs and rolled a tire under. It moved forward quite a bit with the RUF springs. It’s mocked up at about ride height. I’m hoping these springs settle about an inch. Frame heigh with the ass end hanging down is 24” at the Tcase crossmember.

61FCE17C B255 4DF2 A8DA 8743F92E8B29
8B01BAE0 2F56 43BF AE0A 35B328695DDE

BlueCruiser84

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Anyone have a good source for JUST Ubolts? Are 5/8" really necessary? or is that Pirate4x4 talking? Everyone sells Ubolt flip kits. I have the plates already from a part-out rig, but maybe buying an entire kit is the way to go.

davidp14

davidp14

SILVER Star
I didn't realize you had a build thread for this. You already know how much I love this thing. I'm bringing a case of beer over just to watch you work.

Got my sliders btw, It will take me longer to paint them and install than it will take you to finish a SAS

gnob

gnob

5/8 not necessary. Diamond uses 9/16.
Have you looked at summit, etc?
Anyone have a good source for JUST Ubolts? Are 5/8" really necessary? or is that Pirate4x4 talking? Everyone sells Ubolt flip kits. I have the plates already from a part-out rig, but maybe buying an entire kit is the way to go.

BlueCruiser84

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
I didn't realize you had a build thread for this. You already know how much I love this thing. I'm bringing a case of beer over just to watch you work.

Got my sliders btw, It will take me longer to paint them and install than it will take you to finish a SAS

Negative. This is going to take a while.

You can drink beer and watch me. Here's what you'll see: I'll stare at my truck, lose my measuring tape, forget what I was thinking, go back to staring, place a tack weld, lose my marker, go inside for coffee, get distracted, come back out, remember I was looking for my marker and measuring tape, give up, go back inside.

5/8 not necessary. Diamond uses 9/16.
Have you looked at summit, etc?

Ok. 9/16 it is. actually found a good selection of Ubolts on SDtrucksprings.com, but shipping is a bitch. Still looking.

aztoyman

aztoyman

I usually go to local spring shop and they make U-bolts while I wait and how I want them. New tall nuts are included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom