4Runner rear window relay repair (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
I did this on my 89 4Runner, but the 90-95 would be almost the same, except the relays are located on the drivers side at the rear corner, and a bigger pain to get out.

Here's 4Crawlers page on rear window problems

This repair should be undertaken if neither the front switch or the rear key switch will operate the window, but you can hear the relays clicking in the body behind the drivers seat, and the ground and saftey switches have been rulled out.

So here's the relays, in, out, and with the end popped off.
Relays 1.JPG
Relays 2.JPG
Relays 3.JPG

Last edited:
Here's the numbers for those interested, and the relays out of the case, and what you see once you cut them open with your dremmel tool. :D I used a small abrasive disc and it melted into the relays pretty well, and didn't leave too many chunks around, but make sure to clean up what chunks do get left behind as they can stop the relays from working properly after you bothered to clean them. Dont' worry if you hit the contacts a little, they are not that fragile. The arrow is where the contacts are located.
Relays 4.JPG
Relays 5.JPG
Relays 6.JPG

Last edited:
Another shot of the open relay, and a thin strip of sand paper works well for cleaning them off, remember there are 4 surfaces to clean in each relay (2 upper and 2 lower. Pretty easy to see once they are open. Then just tape them all back up with their lids on, and stick it back together......

However, you should, as I should have, check continuity between the upper/lower contacts and the center contact, to make sure you have them cleaned off well enough. I did not, and had to waste an afternoon figuring it out......
Relays 7.JPG
Relays 8.JPG
Relays 9.JPG

Last edited:
I've also seen Radio Shack relays soldered into the stock board, but they're too big to fit inside the stock cover. Your guys' solutions are both way cooler than that. :D Thanks.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]My rear window wouldn't go down on my '91 when I got it. I took the relay box off the bracket and pulled the circuit board out of it. (Easy if you're careful.) I plugged it back in and gave it a slight twist while the down switch was depressed. The window would go down if it was twisted. So I figured it was something mechanically wrong with the relay. There is a line of four in the center of the board, (they're rectangular, black boxes) There's a new relay part # from Omron that swaps out perfectly for about $1.70 at Newark Electronics. The only differance is that it's a wee bit taller. (not a problem, just different) I soldered it into the second position down (if you're holding the switch up by the plug) and that took care of the down direction. I don't know which one is the up relay, but what I did was I bought four (for <$12 with shipping) with the idea that I might have to swap them all out. I got lucky and did it the first time, so I have spares now.

The new Omron # is G5LE-1 12vdc
[/FONT]

hey guys new to the forum and though i would let you know you can also get the 12volt guy kit it is pertty nice, not try to sell stuff just letting you know and, and it is not on his site you have to mail him. storm:trooper:

Just had another issue creep up... Window would not work from front switch either up or down, but would work fine from the tail gate switch... I tested all the grounds and inputs to the relay box, and it was getting all the ground signals and +12V that it should. After testing the circuit board for an hour and not finding any problems I decided to Jump the 4 ground inputs together up to up and down to down for the front and rear switches. 2 small wires soldered in and it's all good again... Relays still have not needed a cleaning FYI.

I soldered the #5 to the #12 and the #4 to the #11 pins. Incidentally this mod will also bypass the front switch only working when the key is on, the same as jumping +12V to the #8 pin. :cheers:

I have a diffierent problem......mine prob is I replaced the rear door of my 90 4runner and on the dash it says back door open....which switch is it that is sending this so I can delete the switch or replace it.....My rear windo won't go down and when I press up all I hear is beeps...Help Please

Transistors

Hey is anyone able to tell me what each transistor has written on it as one of mine has burnt out and is unreadable. My relay looks the same as the one in the picture. It's from a 1st gen

Awesome repair! Just did this on my 90 4Runner and all works! One adjustment, I didn't take off the panel - I cut the wall of the cubby hole to access the relay and then made 2 access holes in the front panel where the bolts are - I'll cover them with plugs and then I never have to remove the panel if I have other issues with the relay

So I have a 1985 toyota 4runner and my boot bit cant be accessed or opened window doesnt work so this is a wicked post for me, but my question is where is the relay kept in my 85 model 4 runner (i dont want to pull out the wrong thing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom