4Runner Rear Sway Bar Links (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear suspension clanks when I go over any bumps, especially at an angle. I narrowed down to worn bushings in the rear sway bar links.

A closer look revealed that the links are actually being pushed at an angle. Almost as if the sway bar was pushing too far forward.

I have a Sonoran Steel 1.2 kit, installed by a previous owner. Is this an issue caused by not having longer than stock links? If I replace with longer links (2nd gen, 3rd gen fronts, etc.) will that likely get them to line up, again?

Or maybe something else is wrong? Or nothing at all and I just need new stock ones?

Thanks for the help. I'm still learning the 4Runner suspension stuff.
BC4C4E5A-3C52-44C3-AE7F-22CECFA2DF7D.jpeg
47FDC9BA-2466-4112-9F99-7E5A22000868.jpeg
031DE0A4-F4FE-4A3E-9DB4-D871C61D38EE.jpeg

To clarify, I’m not too concerned that the links are angled forward towards the front of the truck. I’m more concerned that they also seem twisted along the axis running down through the link rod, putting what looks like too much stress on the joint where the link meets the sway bar itself.

Yes, looks to me from the pics you need longer links. Sway bars should be at a somewhat level angle.
I have seen some where you move the longer 3rd gen fronts to the rear and replace the fronts with the longer 2nd gens.

Last edited:
Also, with a heavy lift, the axle will move forward because the oem track bars. Aftermarket adjustable tracs are recommended for anything over 2" to bring the axle back to center. Might have an alignment shop check this out first.

Also, with a heavy lift, the axle will move forward because the oem track bars. Aftermarket adjustable tracs are recommended for anything over 2" to bring the axle back to center. Might have an alignment shop check this out first.

Thanks, it’s already has an adjustable panhard. I’ll get it checked out.

Can anyone confirm the length of the stock 3rd gen rear link?

Measured from the upper bracket to the center of the bolt on the bottom?

4-3/4 inches. If needed front is 5-3/4 inches.

From what I have read, the 2nd Gen fronts are 2'' over the stock 3rd Gen links.
Let us know what you find.

From what I have read, the 2nd Gen fronts are 2'' over the stock 3rd Gen links.
Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the info. Confirms that I have the stock links.

According to the guy I spoke with at Sonoran Steel, if you have their sway bar extension brackets (which I do), you NEED to use stock length links. That doesn't explain why mine look like they're at a weird angle, but I'm going to try just a stock replacement and see what it looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom