4Runner or Pathfinder? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a buddy that is getting rid of his xploder and is trying to figure out whether he should buy a Nissan or Toyota.

Looking at both from a price standpoint, the 4Runner is about 10% more on MSRP.

The last Nissan I had was still called a Datsun. I have had nothing but Toyotas since 1988 so I really can't give him anything but a biased opinion. Personally, I would not even consider the Nissan as I have had nothing but great results out of all my Toyotas (7).

THought maybe someone in the group might have a more objective opinion

I had a Pathfinder - bought it new when I lived in CA. The starter went out in Montana and cost me over $500. Just for the starter. One of the rear side windows just shattered one day while I was driving up the freeway - no evidence of any impact or anything, just a stress failure. Well over $500 on that one and two weeks waiting for the window to come in.

Then, I had an Altima that was a really cheap piece of junk.

I think you know where I'm going with this...

This opinion is just based on impressions from seeing the outside of them and knowing what Nissan put in their trucks 10 years ago. The Nissan is a much cheaper feeling vehicle in terms of interior parts and finish, and exterior body cladding. I don't know about current engines but the Fronteir to Tacoma comparison 10 years ago was the Nissan had a lower tech, lower performance motor. You had to supercharge it to keep up with the Tacoma normally aspirated. I also don't have any sense of the running gear comparison. But, I've never seen a Pathfinder off-road.

I had about a 2" lift and an ARB in the rear. It was okay offroad, but you don't see many Pathfinders driving across Africa in documentaries.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pathfinder no longer has a frame under it, unibodied for 10+ years from what I remember

Oh yah...it's not a Toyota;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pathfinder no longer has a frame under it, unibodied for 10+ years from what I remember

Oh yah...it's not a Toyota;)

are they both made in USA? I think the Pathfinder is but couldn't recall if the 4Runners were made here too.

I'd vote for the 4Runner over a Pathfinder.

I don't think 4Runners are USA. Tacoma yes, Camry, Tundra, probably others.

are they both made in USA? I think the Pathfinder is but couldn't recall if the 4Runners were made here too.

I'd vote for the 4Runner over a Pathfinder.

4runners are still made in Japan except for the trail version (5th gen)...or at least that is what a Toyota tech told me when they first came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom