4Runner Convert: 1999 LC 100 with Rear Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats up dudes and not-dudes. I've been lurking a long time, read through FAQs and followed threads but never really posted (except once a year ago). I had a 3rd Gen 4Runner for several years, and it was one of the best car purchases I've ever made. In the time I owned it, I upgraded the brakes, redid the entire suspension, rebuilt the starter and the alternator, but it's never left me stranded. I recently drove it across the entire country without issues. But I always had a few complaints.

With a kid seat in the back, seating got really tight for four people and impossible if I had 5 or 6. Second, my other cars are German, and the 4Runner, despite being really clean, always felt a little cheap in comparison, and third, that 3.4 was... fine, but somewhat gutless, and when driving across the rockies, at 6K feet, fugghetaboutit.

I do all the wrenching on all my cars. I currently have a 1986 Carrera, and a 2015 GTI, and I recently helped rebuild the engine on a 91 CRX. Before the Porsche I had a Mercedes AMG.

Anyway, I just picked up a black 1999 LC with a rear locker and 170k miles. Pictures to follow. As soon as I got in it, I felt the difference. It doesn't overtake much better than the 4Runner, but at lower speeds the torque really tells. It feels like a block of iron, and despite being 20 years old, has modern car amenities. It feels more grown up.

I've been browsing through threads, and where the 4Runner demanded like 700 upgrades, as a person that is more into road trips and light off-roading vs. heavy off-roading, I find myself sort of bored with the lack of overall mods this car needs :). I don't really need heavy bumpers or a lift. There are a few things with trim pieces and maintenance items I will tackle, (loose passenger side mirror, peeling fake wood trim) but either way, really, other than that, the truck is super clean.

Look forward to learning.

Congrats on finding one with a rear locker and relatively low mileage! I’d pay a lot of money for that combo. I know what you mean coming from a 3rd gen T4R - growing up my brother had a 3rd gen and as great as it was, it was definitely inferior to the quality and power of the 100 series. Fast forward 8yrs and I dipped back into the 4Runner world with a 5th gen to keep the 100 comfy in the garage:)

Congrats! I went from a V8 4th Gen 4Runner to the 100. My 100 is a snail compared to my old 4Runner. Besides the crappy paint Toyota used on the 4Runner, it was well built in my opinion.

Here are some pictures of the car. I don’t think the wheels are stock for a 99. Wondering what they are though.
5442D324-7AFC-4646-BFF7-6393338C59B9.jpeg

390345D8-10B3-4F6A-AF85-BEECD7053329.jpeg

7CE6FE99-DC51-4190-B79F-238C2860C5F1.jpeg

Damn clean. Those look like OEM wheels, maybe not from the right year though. Should be 16s on that year.

Those are like the holy grail of stock LC wheels.

Sweet. I personally usually go for smaller wheels and more meat - but I like those a lot - so I’m not looking to change them.

Nice looking truck man! I've never owned a 4Runner, but so many people I know have... 2 of my cousins (one of which was my roommate for a while), 2 of my neighbors, my SO's sister's man, some coworkers... I've been in a lot of them. And IMO they are nothing compared to the Land Cruiser! So much more headroom, space, capability..... only downside is money 😅

Enjoy — I'm also new to LCs and also new to wrenching (unlike you). Please post some stuff as you work on it to let us other guys know how to do things!

Also, the trim is suppose to be gray that runs down the middle of the truck. It matches the bumpers if you were going for the original look,

Also, the trim is suppose to be gray that runs down the middle of the truck. It matches the bumpers if you were going for the original look,

Good point, I actually didn't notice until I took the pictures. I'll actually probably just get someone to paint the bumpers black.

I like it both ways. All black is nice as well.

Congrats! Always good to see another 99 owner around these parts. I love the look of those wheels over the OEMs for the 99, pretty awesome that came with the truck. She looks to be in great shape! Looking forward to seeing what you do with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom