4Plus Bumper Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Plus bumper...well made and thought out...I like the idea that 1911 added a grease fitting to it!!

B45C236E-1006-438D-9008-A64E046C1763.jpeg

The grease zerk may have been one of the best mods for the effort, I did them as well after I couldn't get the arms open one winter. I had to use a floor jack to press the arm out so I could clean it.

I added covers for them also.
20200523_094342.jpg

The grease zerk may have been one of the best mods for the effort, I did them as well after I couldn't get the arms open one winter. I had to use a floor jack to press the arm out so I could clean it.

I added covers for them also.
View attachment 2667317
That’s a cool idea I will need to do when I get my 40 back from Torfab.

Sorry to hear of your problems, but honestly, I agree with the majority of comments. On the day this thread started, I was actually on the road headed to 4+Plus's shop to pick up a newly purchased front bumper. I also own the tire carrier/ cooler carrier and love them both. You might reach out to Dave Gore if you want, he's extremely conscientious and helpful...

I've had my tire carrier sitting for a few years while I finish up my restoration. for those of you who have added the grease zerk fitting- did you also have to machine passages in there? how does the grease spread inside the sleeve/bushing?

I've had my tire carrier sitting for a few years while I finish up my restoration. for those of you who have added the grease zerk fitting- did you also have to machine passages in there? how does the grease spread inside the sleeve/bushing?
Just drill a hole and tap it near the center. The bushings are pressed in at the ends. You’ll want to avoid drilling into them.
I squeezed in grease until I saw evidence of it coming out of the pivot ends.

How do the rocker protectors/steps mount? Maybe a pic from the backside and underneath? I’m considering these.

View attachment 2699149
Normally they mount just to the bottom edge of the body. My rockers had been previously hacked off by a PO so I sleeved the holes through the double walled section. The front two and rearward ones mount just to the body.

Ok, do they also mount to the bottom braces in any manner?
No. They are only meant as light duty sliders afaik. During hard use those will buckle the rockers. For heavy duty use you want sliders mounted to the frame that don't touch the body in any way which I believe 4 plus sells as well but you have to call them and ask.

No. They are only meant as light duty sliders afaik. During hard use those will buckle the rockers. For heavy duty use you want sliders mounted to the frame that don't touch the body in any way which I believe 4 plus sells as well but you have to call them and ask.

Others have said they hold up well to being hit hard. The angle iron piece is 3/16 and it's distributed over a large area. Especially on the thicker older bodies it's pretty stout. My 40 is still under construction so mine are untested. I am more concerned about a hit on the edge of the slider step that would twist it upward. I think it can take a direct hit underneath pretty well.

Others have said they hold up well to being hit hard. The angle iron piece is 3/16 and it's distributed over a large area. Especially on the thicker older bodies it's pretty stout. My 40 is still under construction so mine are untested. I am more concerned about a hit on the edge of the slider step that would twist it upward. I think it can take a direct hit underneath pretty well.
I'm just going by the 40s I've seen at cruise moab and other areas. I've never seen them buckle in person. I've only seen the aftermath. Not sure what they were doing when it happened. The rockers were buckled inward on the ones I've seen buckled. Most people don't push their 40 too hard these days so they would probably do fine for most people I would think. My opinion anyway. Maybe others got different experiences.

Last edited:
I'm just going by the 40s I've seen at cruise moab and other areas. I've never seen them buckle in person. I've only seen the aftermath. Not sure what they were doing when it happened. The rockers were buckled inward on the ones I've seen buckled. Most people don't push their 40 too hard these days so they would probably do fine for most people I would think. My opinion anyway. Maybe others got different experiences.
yeah, I've been trying to figure out how I am going to tie mine into the body mount where the factory running board mounts. If it buckled inward that sounds like a hit further out causing it to rotate, which is my fear. I think the ones that are just angle iron and no step don't have this same problem.

yeah, I've been trying to figure out how I am going to tie mine into the body mount where the factory running board mounts. If it buckled inward that sounds like a hit further out causing it to rotate, which is my fear. I think the ones that are just angle iron and no step don't have this same problem.
I suppose you could brace the rockers to the underside of the floor more. Maybe do a fish plate on the underside of the floor and on the back side of the rocker and then brace the rocker to the floor maybe? I think the buckle inward is from being on a side hill and leaning into a rock more from the side. Or maybe you could brace from the frame to the rocker sliders you have similar to how people tie in roll cages to the frame with a spring bushing. Sometimes on the trail I won't be paying attention, Ill come off of a ledge and slam down so hard on the slider that it makes everyone around gasp. Those are the hits that seems to really put sliders to the test. Don't forget to do some sort of armor for the rear lower side of the quarter panels too if your getting more serious offroad.

@lcwizard Has been a great resource and supporter of this community for many years. I do recall he had a powder coating issue many years ago.
I have had several of his products over the years and never had issues. I have also known Dave to be responsive on this site or by phone.
I am sorry to hear anyone has had issues with his products as I feel his quality and service has been exemplary over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom