4Plus Bumper Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The grease zerk may have been one of the best mods for the effort, I did them as well after I couldn't get the arms open one winter. I had to use a floor jack to press the arm out so I could clean it.

I added covers for them also.
View attachment 2667317
Im finally getting around to tapping some zerks. How far did you drill you in? Mine seems like a solid core. Theres a copper cylinder just inside the steel hinge but beyond that is solid steel again. Ive drill in almost an inch to no avail.

image.jpg

Im finally getting around to tapping some zerks. How far did you drill you in? Mine seems like a solid core. Theres a copper cylinder just inside the steel hinge but beyond that is solid steel again. Ive drill in almost an inch to no avail.

View attachment 2983740
Have you removed the swing arm that slides into the sleeve you’re drilling into? By the looks of it, you have already drilled through what you need too, except the hole looks to be bigger than needed Probably no real damage done at this point provided you clean up the burrs left by the drill bit but you may have to find a larger zerk.

Have you removed the swing arm that slides into the sleeve you’re drilling into? By the looks of it, you have already drilled through what you need too, except the hole looks to be bigger than needed Probably no real damage done at this point provided you clean up the burrs left by the drill bit but you may have to find a larger zerk.
I havent removed the swing arm. Cant figure out how that is done. I tapped it for 8m 1.0 grease zerk that threads in nicely. Theres just nowhere for the grease to go at this point.

image.jpg

View attachment 2983740
You drilled into the center arm of the swing out.

Does it still open smoothly?

I had to use a floor jack to press mine out.

I havent removed the swing arm. Cant figure out how that is done. I tapped it for 8m 1.0 grease zerk that threads in nicely. Theres just nowhere for the grease to go at this point.

View attachment 2983745
Its not like there is a pocket or anything for the grease (other than the hole you drilled). If you pump some in there and swing open the carrier a few times and repeat a few times it will get where it needs to go (around the bushing you drilled through).

You drilled into the center arm of the swing out.

Does it still open smoothly?

I had to use a floor jack to press mine out.
Yes on both accounts. Still opens the same, real snug. Where does the grease flow to the way you have it tapped? I looked at a few different swing arm hinges on youtube and they are all have grease zerk in the center with a bearing on the top and bottom. Im not grasping the concept here. Thanks for helping me figure it out

Yes on both accounts. Still opens the same, real snug. Where does the grease flow to the way you have it tapped? I looked at a few different swing arm hinges on youtube and they are all have grease zerk in the center with a bearing on the top and bottom. Im not grasping the concept here. Thanks for helping me figure it out
There is a channel between the top and bottom brass bushings where the grease would flow, it would be difficult to get it into the bushings themselves, as they don't have a channel machined into them.

It's better than nothing.

This is my 4+ bumper that Dave was building 30 years ago when I met him. The PO of the Karma Cruiser had just paid Elkhart (a well-respected hitch manufacturer in SoCal) $400 to build him a custom hitch for the 40. As soon as he saw Dave’s bumper, he had me cut off the Eckhart hitch and put Dave’s on. I added a couple of ConFerr tube tabs after Tony gave me the truck to help when I’ accessing the roofrack.

I have the Uber-rare stubby version of the same bumper on Ruftoys. It started out looking the same as this one. But a couple of trips thru the Rubicon pretty much did in the ends.😛

32C2D3CD-23E9-4322-AAF6-44847AEC670D.jpeg

P.S. I can’t remember if this came powdercoated.😛

Last edited:
I have older 4plus rear single swing out arm Bumper. I wasn’t able to get to attach the center 4 bolts gas tank is in the way, should I drop the tank or will I be ok for carrying 33 in spare ,I’m not towing or going off road , think I’ll have any issues or failures. Thanks. Also have a 4plus front bumper looking to sell in nj. Pm me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom