SOLD 4plus axle extended sleeves (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ksemerdjian

SILVER Star
Threads
Thinking of widening my Fj40 front axle and I read 4plus had sleevs to extend the housing. I have contacted Dave and unfortunately he no longer has any and does plan on making more so before I hit up a machine shop I wanted to see if anyone had a couple laying around they don't plan on using. Thanks in advance

Couldn't you just use an FJ60 axle?
Yes, but from my understanding you still need to extend one side or outboard the spring hangers. I don't want to outboard the spring hangers so I would still need at least one. I figure if I still need to extend one side I might as well just extend both sides of my axle which will allow me to set my caster at the same time. If I am mistaking let me know.

Yes, but from my understanding you still need to extend one side or outboard the spring hangers. I don't want to outboard the spring hangers so I would still need at least one. I figure if I still need to extend one side I might as well just extend both sides of my axle which will allow me to set my caster at the same time. If I am mistaking let me know.
I've located a Fj60 front axle housing so I guess I only need one extension sleeve so I don't have to outboard the springs. @65swb45 Mark do you by any chance have one of Dave's extension sleeves?

Nope.

Is "Dave" @lcwizard? I got two from him many years ago and wouldn't mind picking up another in case I ever need to replace my current extended FJ60 axle....last post I saw was in 2018 and he still had.some.

Is "Dave" @lcwizard? I got two from him many years ago and wouldn't mind picking up another in case I ever need to replace my current extended FJ60 axle....last post I saw was in 2018 and he still had.some.
Dave is the first person I contacted, unfortunately he has sold all of the sleeves he had in stock and isn't planning on making more.

IIRC, the challenge with Dave's sleeves is the unusual (not rare) DOM tube size he starts with and It's not cheap, so I know why he's in hurry to whip up one or two. I have the dimensions and can make them, but I'm up against the same cost factor. Basically the DOM is about $100/foot with freight if you buy it that way, or about $1,550 for 20 feet. I my local steel supply house has it and will sell it by the foot it may be a tiny bit cheaper. The labor and materials to make one or two would make the unit cost pretty steep, I would guess somewhere north of a $100 each

IIRC, the challenge with Dave's sleeves is the unusual (not rare) DOM tube size he starts with and It's not cheap, so I know why he's in hurry to whip up one or two. I have the dimensions and can make them, but I'm up against the same cost factor. Basically the DOM is about $100/foot with freight if you buy it that way, or about $1,550 for 20 feet. I my local steel supply house has it and will sell it by the foot it may be a tiny bit cheaper. The labor and materials to make one or two would make the unit cost pretty steep, I would guess somewhere north of a $100 each
That's what I was afraid of, I believe when Dave had them he sold them for about 50 a piece or at least that's the last post I found with a price. Fortunately I have multiple options, my first thought was the get two sleeves and extended my 40 axle or one side of my 60 axle so I wouldn't have to outboard my springs but when you factor the cost of the sleeves and then needing custom inner axle shafts maybe moving my springs out a bit isn't all that bad of an idea. Not sure if the extra 3" will be worth all that.

Extending the 60 axle is great until you pay for the custom short side axle. I forget what I paid for mine, but it wasn't cheap. I'm still happy with what I got and the fact I didn't have to outboard the springs.

Extending the 60 axle is great until you pay for the custom short side axle. I forget what I paid for mine, but it wasn't cheap. I'm still happy with what I got and the fact I didn't have to outboard the springs.
Damn it, I had a bad feeling you were going to say something like that. Well I'm still a ways away from doing all this but I definitely like the idea.

If you do end up making some of these sleeves for whatever reason please get in touch with me to see where I'm at with my build.

Thank you

If you do end up making some of these sleeves for whatever reason please get in touch with me to see where I'm at with my build.

Thank you

If a few more folks (3 or 4) get interested it becomes more practical.

If a few more folks (3 or 4) get interested it becomes more practical.

Subscribed. At some point I'll have to rebuild another. Having invested in 6 shooters, high steer, 4x4 Labs high steer arms, ram, spare Longfield shafts [from Bobby] and a 2nd spare ARB diff, like the option of widening another 60 axle, before I commit to an aftermarket housing or Dana 60. Have run this for over 10 years and it's been a really great upgrade - highly recommend it unless you want to go 40's or are heavy on the throttle.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom