4L65 5.3 transmission pan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasLandCruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
pin.it
After unrelated work found shaft marks on the corner of the transmission pan. Saw Matt make the comment about mounting engine to line up best. Is this simply removing pan and modify what I have or has someone have a source for this transmission that accommodates for the shaft movement I have, modified pan.

Basically three maybe four option. Smaller driveshaft, mod trans pan (dent it/crease it a bit), cut and tig the trans pan. Lastly... engine placement.

Post some pics

Post pics, your driveshaft may have made its own clearance already!

Basically three maybe four option. Smaller driveshaft, mod trans pan (dent it/crease it a bit), cut and tig the trans pan. Lastly... engine placement.

Post some pics
I like #2. There’s some minor dings in it and they appear harmless. Appreciate the feedback, at times feels like only input I get is from the shop, that hasn’t served me well. I only need a tiny bit of space

careful with denting the pan, you need flow in the pan for your gears to shift properly. Less is more there. Dent it too much in that corner and it wont shift from 1st to 2nd i believe. Best option is a 2 inch thickwall tube front drive shaft. You can use your fj60 outer ends, youll just need a flat cap for your grease zerk. The clearance is tight but it fits. Im using a black dorman 4l60e trans pan for the better drain plug. You gain like 1-2mm more clearance with it haha

The absolute best option is to use the 4l60e from a chevy colorado or Hummer H3, the pan and internals are clearanced on the passenger side for a driveshaft, but none of the parts are interchangable and you need the entire transmission to be able to use it.

I also opted for the 2” DS. Going on 10 years strong no issues. Clears the pan nicely
Update, and sorry I didn’t post pics. By the time I could say anything the shop did the shaft diameter change to smaller 2”. As for the pan Tribe said ditch the one I have, also may look at another shape Dorman may work. As soon as I get it back next week I’ll post the pics fixed

Update, and sorry I didn’t post pics. By the time I could say anything the shop did the shaft diameter change to smaller 2”. As for the pan Tribe said ditch the one I have, also may look at another shape Dorman may work. As soon as I get it back next week I’ll post the pics fixed
I know its been mentioned here by someone a different transmission oil pan maybe it was @NCFJ can not remember who it was. The smaller tube front driveshaft should do the trick tho.

Got $200 burning a hole in your pocket?

The pan is a little down on the page. It’s notched for driveshaft clearance

Almost 99% positive that’s my dorman pan they they notched and repainted. My pan looks identical to that. Even down to the drain plug. Minus the notch.

Another less elegant option

I have custom 2" tube front drive shafts made. Already getting new U joints and altering the length so changing to 2" tube is not a big deal at the time. Make sure that the folks making the shaft use the same yokes. Aftermarket Yokes are often larger and do not clear the pan either.

So the update on the clearance the shop is putting 1310(?) yoke in and dropping to a 2" shaft then be done. @dbbowen my pan is beat up and the pan with the notch looks good need to replace mine anyway so here we go. Its been at Tribe16 for a few weeks and I've been traveling or I would post progress. Once I get back I will post pics.

So the update on the clearance the shop is putting 1310(?) yoke in and dropping to a 2" shaft then be done. @dbbowen my pan is beat up and the pan with the notch looks good need to replace mine anyway so here we go. Its been at Tribe16 for a few weeks and I've been traveling or I would post progress. Once I get back I will post pics.
Man ive had my eye on that pan myself for a few months. The extra clearance is a really nice added sense of security so you dont get stuck in the middle of the woods somewhere. Looking forward to your pics!

Last edited:
Man ive had my eye on that pan myself for a few months. The extra clearance is a really nice added sense of security so you dont get stuck in the middle of the woods somewhere! hah
Welp the Novak notched pan is on the way overnight from Utah. Hope to have it all back in with new shaft and yokes :)

Got $200 burning a hole in your pocket?

The pan is a little down on the page. It’s notched for driveshaft clearance

Almost 99% positive that’s my dorman pan they they notched and repainted. My pan looks identical to that. Even down to the drain plug. Minus the notch.

Another less elegant option

Oh yeah, the $200 turned into $2500! Between all new fuel system (or at least lines, pump, adapter plate), the 1/2 day the tuner spent working on it and the new shaft, pan…I’ll need to borrow money for gas ma

I know its been mentioned here by someone a different transmission oil pan maybe it was @NCFJ can not remember who it was. The smaller tube front driveshaft should do the trick tho.
Novak Conversions in Utah for that nice transmission pan, includes gasket and filter. Super cool group. 15 on the shelf, now 14, overnighted it to Fort Worth. Happyyy

Oh yeah, the $200 turned into $2500! Between all new fuel system (or at least lines, pump, adapter plate), the 1/2 day the tuner spent working on it and the new shaft, pan…I’ll need to borrow money for gas ma
Isnt it crazy how quickly small stuff on these things add up so damn quickly?!

Novak Conversions in Utah for that nice transmission pan, includes gasket and filter. Super cool group. 15 on the shelf, now 14, overnighted it to Fort Worth. Happyyy
Ok with a new filter and gasket the $200 is a little less crazy for the pan, especially since its pre notched too. Im eagerly awaiting to see what it looks like installed. I think they made it for jeeps and their adapter has even less room than our 60s do

Just got the cruiser home. Here’s the pics after installing shaft and fixing the engine issues. Had a 2 food issue with fuel. Return regulator fixed half and previous tune was so f’d up they had to reload. The MAF is dead on now.

New pump and hardware Tanks Inc.
New return regulator
New Novak transmission trimmed pan
Re-plumb vent lines
New 2” shaft and 1310 yokes
60/62 adapter plate for pump from @tmxmotorsports
Tune
Air still blows cold…
Thanks to some direction from the Mud experts

121C2C69-3240-4D22-A561-537CC67D8C59.jpeg

691C15E6-0A85-4B06-8497-8C868053AF70.jpeg

B0F85F0F-9847-497F-AE1A-0462E8EA42CD.jpeg