4L60E!? Should I? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought Id do a separate thread on this...
I was getting prices on having my output shaft installed from a local shop here...
The lady at the front (actaully quite knowledgeable) was thinking that I might be in for a WILD RIDE trying to use a 4L60E, in that because its electronically controlled its much harder to get set up RIGHT to where it will function properly and NOT burn up...
She seemed to think that using a NON electronic transmission (700R or other) would actually be a better choice for what I intend to do with it....Wheel it like I STOLE IT!:steer:

I know that it has been done on numerous occasions, but....
It got me thinking!

Can anyone give me some input on this?

Thanks,

Chicago

Hey Chicago,

Im running the 4l60e, have been for years. It's a good tranny and was fairly simple to wire up (depending on how much of the oem chevy wire harness you have). I did did manage to burn up the clutches after a put the supercharger on but once rebuilt with stronger internals its been great since. Im happy with it. Let me know if you have any specific questions.:cheers:

Aaron

700R4 is the same tranny minus the electronics. Like Mor4, I had my 4L60E rebuilt with stronger internals so it shifts quicker (but doesn't slam like a B&M crap kit). I like it a lot, but then it's behind the 5.7 Vortec it was born with. Someday I'll install a stronger lockup solenoid & a shift controller so I can have button shifting on the steering wheel.

There are several wiring kits on the market to convert the 4L60E to non-computer control.

All in all, I think Rodney's re-do of your A440 would be the most sane approach.

700R4 is the same tranny minus the electronics. Like Mor4, I had my 4L60E rebuilt with stronger internals so it shifts quicker (but doesn't slam like a B&M crap kit). I like it a lot, but then it's behind the 5.7 Vortec it was born with. Someday I'll install a stronger lockup solenoid & a shift controller so I can have button shifting on the steering wheel.

There are several wiring kits on the market to convert the 4L60E to non-computer control.

All in all, I think Rodney's re-do of your A440 would be the most sane approach.

I should have clarified...
Im doing a Vortec 5.3 swap, so its gonna be running behind that.
So, theoretically any aftermarket wiring harness SHOULD take care of the tranny, correct?
I was looking at that shift controller. That is SPENDY. What does that do?
I need the output shaft replaced to mate it to an NP203/ 19 spline split case...While in there, I was gonna get the upgraded sun gear and the problematic valve that frequently goes out addressed.
The tranny only had 74K on it, but...who knows how it was cared for if at all.
Man this project is getting expensive!

Thanks,

Chicago

It gets real spendy real fast, donut? I had a reputable shop do my swap since my level of expertise is carb/manual & I had no time & too many other unfinished projects.

I'd have a local, independent tranny shop do a rebuild before you install it. I was looking for firm, not violent, shifts with minimal slip & the guy who did mine builds race trannies & knew what parts were good (not B&M).

depending on what computer you have and how much of the harness you have for it. It should be a plug and play.

depending on what computer you have and how much of the harness you have for it. It should be a plug and play.

Computer is from an 01 silverado, and the harness will most likely be a howell jobber...
Should I get a factory harness from a matching vehicle and have it cut to fit with the crusier?
As of right now, everything is from an 01 4WD truck. Not all the SAME donor, but all the same gear none the less.

Thanks for the help,
Im obviously a bit confused.

Chicago

The best thing you can do for yourself at this point is get the Downey book: Downey Off-Road at the bottom right of the page.

I hope you're keeping the stock fuel injection. I'd use the Painless harness for your engine & transmission, though. Don't have any experience with Howell, however. Painless is the real deal - it works & their support is great.

was it a manual or auto computer? motor or tanny wont matter where it came from as long as its a 2000 or newer. have you looked at Speartech for a harness?

The best thing you can do for yourself at this point is get the Downey book: Downey Off-Road at the bottom right of the page.

I hope you're keeping the stock fuel injection. I'd use the Painless harness for your engine & transmission, though. Don't have any experience with Howell, however. Painless is the real deal - it works & their support is great.

Like he said, get the downey book, Its give you a diagram of each wire you need to make it run. It also helped me to find someone with a 5.7 chevy pickup, then I just traced all the wires and was able to label every wire I needed. IMO, you dont really NEED an aftermarket harness.:cheers:

that book wont work for a ls based motor.

In the donor truck the trans was controlled by the ECU and the stock wiring harness. Unless you got the wrong harness kit any aftermarket harness should also support all of the trans functions. Am I missing something?

I don't see it being a problem. I know the painless wiring harnesses have all the connections for the transmissions that match the engine. Since a 4l60E came with the 5.3 it would seem to be a logical fit.

Well, I really wasnt all to worried about it till I talked to these folks (who have never called me back with "more information").
Ive read a LOT on this swap for these rigs, and I hadnt really found any "CAUTION" type statements.
All that Ive understood is when you get all the running gear assembled (motor, tranny etc.) you will then decide on the harness, and if youre having the harness BUILT, they will ask what youre running, what youre not etc, and they will re "flash" the computer to match the componentry. However, Im still NOT sure WHAT exactly happens with the re flash and what they do with that.
Ive talked with Jim at Downey on this, and he seems to think that the BEST way to go is to get the factory harness and splice it where I need to. He thought it was assinine to have an expensive harness built...However, if youve ever talked to Jim, youll soon realize that his knowledge base is FAAAAR GREATER than mine on this stuff.

Thanks for the help on this...Im just gonna proceed as planned since I already have the tranny, adapters and output shaft and a quote to get the shaft, beast sun gear and valve body up grade installed.

Chicago

By stock FI, do you mean the Toyota FI, or the chevy FI?
Im keeping the stock GM FI. Im not planning on anything crazy or outrageous...Im just looking to get it to run right. No frills. The ONLY deviation I have in mind is throwing the NP203/ 19 spline doubler in the mix. Ill have to check into that book.
Thanks for the tip.
Im still considering WHAT I wanna do for the harness. OrangeFJ45 recommended Howell, I contacted them, they called back (Which impressed me to no end) and that is where im at with that.
Im looking for EASY! Im amazed that my simple brain has been able to comprehend what Ive done thus far!:eek:

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom