4L60E issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been a while since I've been on mud, because the FJ project is almost complete. Got everything together and it runs, drives and stops like a champ, except for one problem, it's not shifting properly.

I have a 2007 5.3 vortec and matching 4L60E, mileage is about 18k. When driving we seem to get no overdrive at all and only the occasional shift or no shift at all. Not sure if it's going into limp mode or what.

Tried changing out the VSS and that didn't make a difference. Scanner revealed that when driving we get the same signal as if at idle. We had the tach and gauges installed by someone else and we have an adapter on the tach, for what I don't know. I'm thinking the issue is that adapter, but I don't have a part number to track it down and see what it actually does for us. I've read that sometimes they are needed and sometimes not needed.

Any of you guys have an idea what else could be my issue?

I'm going to cross post this in the 60 and 80 section as well.

What gap did you set the VSS at? That apparently is a pretty important spec. According to Downey when I talked to him. IIRC 10-30 thousandths.
Either that it could be a programming issue? Who did you harness and ECU flash?

I'm running the same set....Er..... I'm in the process of running this set up, so I'm very interested on what you come up with.

Might wanna PM "boots" here as well. Dudes a wizard with the trannies.

I set the VSS at 10-12 thousandths.

I had a local guy do the wiring, he's very good and he's been helping to get this issue resolved. He actually came over and ran the diagnostic as we drove.

If you have any questions about the set up I'm running and you're in the process of running, just send me a message and I'll give you all the info I can remember.

I have had a similar problem twice with my 4l60e, the first time I found that the O2 sensor connector had melted into the exhaust. Once removed from the exhaust it would shift back into overdrive. Somehow it didn't trigger the check light.
The 2nd time the throttle position sensor was bad. Once replace the trans shifted fine.

If I remember right when I lost the VSS I was only able to get 2nd gear out of the trans.

Made some progress on the tach today and might have found an issue with the speedo that can be fixed fairly easy. There also appears to be 1 wire not running from the tach to the ecm that should be there.

Can't wait to get this transmission figured out. It runs so nice and all the hard work for the last 2 years is paying off. IT's gonna make for one big ole build thread. Got lots of pics. I think you guys will be proud.;)

Made some progress on the tach today and might have found an issue with the speedo that can be fixed fairly easy. There also appears to be 1 wire not running from the tach to the ecm that should be there.

Can't wait to get this transmission figured out. It runs so nice and all the hard work for the last 2 years is paying off. IT's gonna make for one big ole build thread. Got lots of pics. I think you guys will be proud.;)

I DO have a question since you offered...
How DID you run the speedo? Any pics of that? Anything special that you used?
Ill be running aftermarket gauges though....donno if you tied into the stock gauges or not?

I used aftermarket autometer gauges. Had another guy do the wiring, but they arent that tough to do if you have the patience and time. I had my harness done by speartech, and the local guy who wired the rig followed their instructions for wiring the gauges and go tthe speedo and possibly tach wrong. Autometer was helpful in troubleshooting over the phone though. If I can take a decent pic tomorrow I'll post it for you to at least see what it looks like.

I used aftermarket autometer gauges. Had another guy do the wiring, but they arent that tough to do if you have the patience and time. I had my harness done by speartech, and the local guy who wired the rig followed their instructions for wiring the gauges and go tthe speedo and possibly tach wrong. Autometer was helpful in troubleshooting over the phone though. If I can take a decent pic tomorrow I'll post it for you to at least see what it looks like.

Thanks man.
Im more interested in how you ran the cable from the trans for the reading. Wasnt sure if I needed to run it off the t case or the trans. I just flat didnt think about that to be dead honest.:eek:!
I suppose that I just thought that the reading was taken off the VSS from the ECU somehow?
The wiring is in the near future for me. Like you though, Im recruiting help.:D
I didnt F around on the harness. I went straight for the Howell system. Expensive...maybe!? However, it'll be worth it for not having to chase down electrical gremlins in the drive train like Ive heard that others have had with different companies.

If you're running a 4l60e it should have a VSS spot on the adapter from AA for the VSS. I started with a 4wd trans, so we had to swap shafts and deal with the reluctor ring etc... My harness runs to a port on the trans and the VSS, then up my harness to the tach. The guy who wired it followed some possibly incorrect advice from speartech and didn't run a wire from the tach to the ecm, causing me some issues with limp mode. Essentially, I don't think my VSS is sending a signal anywhere except to my tach, not to the ecm and the tach as it should.

Irish52084 said:
If you're running a 4l60e it should have a VSS spot on the adapter from AA for the VSS. I started with a 4wd trans, so we had to swap shafts and deal with the reluctor ring etc... My harness runs to a port on the trans and the VSS, then up my harness to the tach. The guy who wired it followed some possibly incorrect advice from speartech and didn't run a wire from the tach to the ecm, causing me some issues with limp mode. Essentially, I don't think my VSS is sending a signal anywhere except to my tach, not to the ecm and the tach as it should.

Okay, so I seem to have figured that right then. I have the screw in AA, VSS and I think there is a plug on my harness for that was well. The way it was sounding was you had run a cable type speedo. That was where I was confused. That would make sense then why you're getting limp mode if there is no communication with the ECU.

I'm in process of doing a 05) lq9 4l65e np203 double to LC split-case. I know the 07 wiring is different from mine, but mine is wired from the vss to pcm then using the dark green w/ white stripe [pin 50] goes to a electric speedo? and a white wire [pin 10] from pcm to feed your tachometer? A link to pin outs is below .

lee

2004 Vortec PCM Pinouts

Rad man!!! Thanks for the link. I think I stumbled across that at one point in my web wheeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom