4L60E 2WD or 4WD needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to understand if I need a 2WD automatic transmission for my 1988 Land Cruiser swap. I understand I have a split case. How does this matter or what's involved to determine weather I need a 2 or a 4 WD transmission? I'm getting my 5.3 Vortec this coming week and can get the transmission from the same place.
Thanks for any input.

You require a 2WD version. This is what works correctly with the adapter between the trans and T case. If you get a 4WD version it will require disassembly and a 2WD output shaft to be installed.

Skip the 4L60E and get the 4L65E, it is upgraded version of the 4L60E

You require a 2WD version. This is what works correctly with the adapter between the trans and T case. If you get a 4WD version it will require disassembly and a 2WD output shaft to be installed.

Ok thanks for the input. I'll start hunting down that one. I was leaning that way after reading some reviews. But, I've seen videos of conversions using the 4L60E. I'll go for the 65E.

The guys at the wrecking yard are telling me the 4L65E's were in the Denali's and were all wheel drive. Is that correct? Or does it matter?

The guys at the wrecking yard are telling me the 4L65E's were in the Denali's and were all wheel drive. Is that correct? Or does it matter?
If its 4wd transmission it won't work with the adapter as @NCFJ has already stated or you have to switch out the out put shaft of the transmission to a 2wd output shaft witch he stated also. As far as weather or not its a 4l65 in a Denali pretty sure its a 4l60 but who knows and who knows if the wrecking yard knows either. I would run the vin to see what transmission is in the Denali juat to be positive and yes they were are all wheel drive that means 4wd also.

Thank you Tommy.

To the PO, you can google to see what vehicles a specific trans came in just as easy as I can. I buy my transmissions from either GM or from Monster transmission, I have no clue what specific vehicle a 4L65E came in. This is precisely why guys that do this sort of thing for a living shy away from giving advice, because it never ends. I gave you specific advice related to the question you asked. Last place I am going for that specific information is a guy at the wrecking yard. If you are this confused about a trans, cant wait till you try re wiring the harness on your own. FYI, I have a guy that knows what the hell he is doing build harnesses for me. :bang:

If its 4wd transmission it won't work with the adapter as @NCFJ has already stated or you have to switch out the out put shaft of the transmission to a 2wd output shaft witch he stated also. As far as weather or not its a 4l65 in a Denali pretty sure its a 4l60 but who knows and who knows if the wrecking yard knows either. I would run the vin to see what transmission is in the Denali juat to be positive and yes they were are all wheel drive that means 4wd also.
Thanks a bunch, I'm finding out the 2WD's are actually slim pickings. Certain Silverados and a couple others. But I'm going to track one down. I've read the advantages over the 4L60E and it's worth it

Thank you Tommy.

To the PO, you can google to see what vehicles a specific trans came in just as easy as I can. I buy my transmissions from either GM or from Monster transmission, I have no clue what specific vehicle a 4L65E came in. This is precisely why guys that do this sort of thing for a living shy away from giving advice, because it never ends. I gave you specific advice related to the question you asked. Last place I am going for that specific information is a guy at the wrecking yard. If you are this confused about a trans, cant wait till you try re wiring the harness on your own. FYI, I have a guy that knows what the hell he is doing build harnesses for me. :bang:
Confused is when you have information but can't understand it. In my case I'm simply finding facts to make a decision. I found out which vehicles the 2WD's came in, and sourced one. I'll post it, for future seekers when I get back in front of the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom