4L position switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, Just wanted to say that this is an awesome forum. I recently picked up 96 cruiser and it has the lockable front and rear option. As i was doing alot of reading on this forum and found out the operation of the lockers.

First off they didn't work they would just blink when shifting into 4Low. When i started to read into how to trouble shoot. I noticed i had no lights on the dash when shifted into 4L. So i the next thing i did was do the paper clip test fo 4L positon switch. I turned the key on then i herd the actuater come alive.

I started her up took into the field next door put it in 4L, and turned the locker switch on for both lockers. The front went solid right away, the rear just kept blinking on the dash. So i'm not sure what to next with the rear portion yet any insight would be appriciated.

After playing around a bit I parked it back in the garage. I pulled the paper clip out. I turned the key back on i herd the cdl actuater disengage. I then pulled the 4L position switch out and squirted it with wd40 worked it back and forth for 5 minutes. I grabbed my meter to do a continuity check and i get nothing while pressing the ball in.

So now i have determined i need a new 4L position switch. Can any one tell me where to get one or a aftermarket switch. I have done alot of searching on this site and I can't come up with anything.

Thanks for the help

I found this on the internet. Is this the correct part Toyota PN #84222-12010?

First off, welcome!

Second, not to be a stickler or anything but technically it's not 4low because there is no 2lo or 2hi...It's Full time 4WD so its just low range and high range.

Your post doesn't mention if you have a center diff lock switch or not...if you don't then the "CDL" will always be off in High and on in low. So it will (should) light up when you put it in low and disable the ABS (So the ABS light should come on when in low-indicating it is NOT operational during low range travel)

It sounds like your front locker is engaging (solid light rather than blinking) and that the rear is not (blinking) is that correct?

If so, it is most likely an issue with the rear locker accuator. Either the wiring or the accuator is mechanically stuck...many threads on unsticking locker accuators...

Good luck

Sounds like your 4L switch is dead. IIRC there is an aftermarket available, the same switch is used as a reverse (backup light) switch on some manual trans Toyotas, like ~2000ish Tacoma, available from NAPA? There is a thread about it.

The rear locker only has 5 spline teeth, can take as much as 20% axle differential slip to lock. So can be difficult to lock when not needed. The first thing I do is confirm that the actuator motor runs when switched, then jack up the rear, switch the locker and turn a tire. It should lock right up, if not you have a problem.

Well thanks for the ideas i'll try em out. I called napa and they can't find anything that matches for a switch.

Thanks tools, you da man, thats the exact part my second link goes to.

I got the new switch and installed it. That fixed my cdl problem. By the way to all else who want to remove this switch on top the transfer case a 27mm wrench is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom